Golden Boy Tom Brady suspended four games

I think most, if not all, teams skirt that "cheating" line as closely as possible. The Pats crossed the line and got caught a couple times. If I was asked to vote in the poll, I would have voted for "yes, they are cheaters". While I think Brady should not lose any time for the deflated balls, that does not mean I think something wasn't purposefully done to gain an advantage. Even if it was only a placebo effect, some advantage was gained.

Are the Packers, since Rodgers admits he has them overinflated and hopes the refs don't catch it? An overinflated ball would travel better than an underinflated one.

Are the Dolphins? They let a field get flooded before a league championship game because it would slow their faster opponent down.

I would say yes... by the letter of the law. Getting caught is a key. I "speed" every day. If the speed limit is 55, I will go 60-62. I am breaking the law by the letter of the law. Then you have drunk drivers... who get caught time and time again. I would hope that they are "on the radar" of local law enforcement agencies. Right now, Pats are those drunk drivers. They have been caught, and they are under a microscope because of it.
  • Like 1

I think most, if not all, teams skirt that "cheating" line as closely as possible. The Pats crossed the line and got caught a couple times. If I was asked to vote in the poll, I would have voted for "yes, they are cheaters". While I think Brady should not lose any time for the deflated balls, that does not mean I think something wasn't purposefully done to gain an advantage. Even if it was only a placebo effect, some advantage was gained.

Are the Packers, since Rodgers admits he has them overinflated and hopes the refs don't catch it? An overinflated ball would travel better than an underinflated one.

Are the Dolphins? They let a field get flooded before a league championship game because it would slow their faster opponent down.

I would say yes... by the letter of the law. Getting caught is a key. I "speed" every day. If the speed limit is 55, I will go 60-62. I am breaking the law by the letter of the law. Then you have drunk drivers... who get caught time and time again. I would hope that they are "on the radar" of local law enforcement agencies. Right now, Pats are those drunk drivers. They have been caught, and they are under a microscope because of it.

And I return to the offenses. Videotaping what coordinators do in front of 80,000 people, and matching it up against game film is different from having a person wear binoculars and watch the coordinator call signals how? Because the league specifically said not to do one? That is circular reasoning. And Deflategate has been exposed for the sham it is.

This isn't like, say, the Yankees, who were using PEDs in the 90s and early 00s like they were sunflower seeds. And using a prescription drug, which is what a steroid is, without a valid medical reason to use that drug has been illegal in baseball forever. Yet their fans disingenuously claim repeatedly that steroids weren't illegal in baseball before 2003.

• Like 2

Already after 24 hours one owner from the Atlanta Falcons Bland I think that's his name is desinting from Goodell. I'm pretty sure they'll be more.

http://ftw.usatoday....-of-deflategate

I doubt if there will be too many dissenters based on actual principle. http://espn.go.com/e...-patriots-apart

Totally agree that principle is irrelevant to a lot of people with respect to this issue.

Yes. And they are concentrated in one corner of the US.

1423141328519524930.png

Well, I wouldn't call the the blue area a "corner" but if your point is that people want to believe that the Patriots are cheaters based on Spygate and Deflategate, and that position lacks principle, I'm with you.

Why would I want to live in Bizarro World with you? No, I'll stick to actual integrity, something that Boston sports fans (and the Pats) not only don't value, but seemingly avoid at all costs.

You want to stick to actual integrity, just not on this topic I guess.

Right, virtually everyone in the world is biased except a majority in 5 states.

Based on 128,000 votes?

Yep,

A stupid poll. The people just go with the flow of what they hear. I have no love for the Patriots at all. But why doesn't dumb sh** Goodell investigate every team? It wouldn't be pretty I can tell you that. :LOL:

• Like 1

Already after 24 hours one owner from the Atlanta Falcons Bland I think that's his name is desinting from Goodell. I'm pretty sure they'll be more.

I doubt if there will be too many dissenters based on actual principle. http://espn.go.com/e...-patriots-apart

Totally agree that principle is irrelevant to a lot of people with respect to this issue.

1423141328519524930.png

I must admit that I thought that the Pats didn't really do anything that other teams weren't doing as well. But this last report has me shaking my head. At the least, I'm standing back and looking at them differently.

When everything is laid out in one place, the levels of cheating and unethical behavior are staggering.

Let's see how it plays out. But yes, on the surface, their behavior is staggering.

Read some of LR's earlier posts in this thread. He's not interested in how it plays out. He's interested in explaining the success of a team he hates by saying they're cheaters.

It's starting to become clear that they are. But in fairness, let's see how it unfolds.

Why do coordinators cover their mouths with cards when calling plays? Is trying to "steal" signals OK when done by a lip reader with binoculars, but illegal when done with video and game film? If yes, can you explain why that is, practically?

First of all, I doubt the Pats are the only ones who have done this. When the signals are taped, they can reviewed over and over. That seems to have led to a stockpile of documented data.
  • Like 1

1423141328519524930.png

I must admit that I thought that the Pats didn't really do anything that other teams weren't doing as well. But this last report has me shaking my head. At the least, I'm standing back and looking at them differently.

When everything is laid out in one place, the levels of cheating and unethical behavior are staggering.

Let's see how it plays out. But yes, on the surface, their behavior is staggering.

Read some of LR's earlier posts in this thread. He's not interested in how it plays out. He's interested in explaining the success of a team he hates by saying they're cheaters.

It's starting to become clear that they are. But in fairness, let's see how it unfolds.

Why do coordinators cover their mouths with cards when calling plays? Is trying to "steal" signals OK when done by a lip reader with binoculars, but illegal when done with video and game film? If yes, can you explain why that is, practically?

First of all, I doubt the Pats are the only ones who have done this. When the signals are taped, they can reviewed over and over. That seems to have led to a stockpile of documented data.

But,

You see. Goodell and the league can't be bothered by such logic.

1423141328519524930.png

only question I have... is it against the rules according to the league? I don't think asking anyone on here if it makes sense will make any difference to the league, if one is deemed against the rules and one is not.

1423141328519524930.png

If you had any integrity at all you'd actually try and examine the allegations on their merits instead of finding every excuse in the book to get your team off the hook. In our many conversations on cheating in the past, I think I've conceded that if the alleged activities that you brought up occurred, than the guys on my team either cheated or acted inappropriately in all but one circumstance. I've never seen you make such a concession without retracting it.

1423141328519524930.png

only question I have... is it against the rules according to the league? I don't think asking anyone on here if it makes sense will make any difference to the league, if one is deemed against the rules and one is not.

That's the circular point I was making. Saying "one is against the rules" doesn't really address the issue of why one is bad and one isn't, if they're the same essential act.

1423141328519524930.png

If you had any integrity at all you'd actually try and examine the allegations on their merits instead of finding every excuse in the book to get your team off the hook. In our many conversations on cheating in the past, I think I've conceded that if the alleged activities that you brought up occurred, than the guys on my team either cheated or acted inappropriately in all but one circumstance. I've never seen you make such a concession without retracting it.

How ironic that in a post about the issue of displaying integrity, you don't.

1423141328519524930.png

That's the circular point I was making. Saying "one is against the rules" doesn't really address the issue of why one is bad and one isn't, if they're the same essential act.

I'm no expert on stealing signals, but it would seem that one method is much, much more effective in deciphering the calls and disseminating that knowledge for an unfair advantage than the other. It would also seem that one is far easier to objectively prove than the other.

1423141328519524930.png

I'm not sure you understand the words you are using.

• Like 1

1423141328519524930.png

I'm no expert on stealing signals, but it would seem that one method is much, much more effective in deciphering the calls and disseminating that knowledge for an unfair advantage than the other. It would also seem that one is far easier to objectively prove than the other.

I see. What a wonderful explanation for the policy then. One works better, and is easier to prove.

The lip reader communicates with the coaching staff what the coordinator is calling. The coaching staff then communicates that to the signal caller on the field.

• Like 1

1423141328519524930.png

If you think that, then I'm positive you don't. Or you're just being deliberately obtuse. Both of those happen with some frequency, so it's hard to tell.

1423141328519524930.png

I see. What a wonderful explanation for the policy then. One works better, and is easier to prove.

The lip reader communicates with the coaching staff what the coordinator is calling. The coaching staff then communicates that to the signal caller on the field.

Of course. Efficacy and clarity are excellent factors to consider in making any policy.

1423141328519524930.png

If you think that, then I'm positive you don't. Or you're just being deliberately obtuse. Both of those happen with some frequency, so it's hard to tell.

Oh...back to your old tricks. When will you insist that I hold beliefs that I don't hold even after I explicitly repudiate them, as is your practice?

1423141328519524930.png

RnB - it honestly does not matter if WE think it makes a difference. WE do not have to prove it does or doesn't. If it's in the rules, and players, coaches, owners and league all agreed to said rules... then it's against the rules no matter how asinine one might think the rule.

1423141328519524930.png

RnB - it honestly does not matter if WE think it makes a difference. WE do not have to prove it does or doesn't. If it's in the rules, and players, coaches, owners and league all agreed to said rules... then it's against the rules no matter how asinine one might think the rule.

I know. But my point is saying it's different because it's against the rules is the, to borrow a pet SOCN phrase, the classic "is/ought fallacy." If someone is going to say the Patriots are cheaters because they videotaped coordinators, why will Josh McDaniels and Matt Patricia be covering their mouths while they call in the signals to the field tonight? Because they are protecting against the Steelers having someone in the stands watching to see if they can "steal" their calls. This isn't an "everyone does it" argument. It's an "it's clearly still part of the game" point. In baseball, is a runner on second cheating if he leads out to make sure the pitcher isn't blocking his view of the catcher's signs, so he can alert the hitter?

• Like 2