Periscope sign up sheet

dtpoet

Worry about yourself and enjoy the show.

You don't get it. My behavior doesn't interfere with the show. You're advocating behavior that potentially does. Don't agree with me? Ask Neil what he thinks of constant cell phone usage. :)

Oh, if Neil says it it must be right.

Ah, well, if you're a fan who doesn't care what the artists who are putting on the expensive, elaborate, precision-executed and hard earned live show for you prefer, then I dunno what to say to that, LOL.

You "dunno" what to say, yet that doesn't seem to stop you from inserting your opinion regardless. Sounds like you.

You don't get it. My behavior doesn't interfere with the show. You're advocating behavior that potentially does. Don't agree with me? Ask Neil what he thinks of constant cell phone usage. :)

Ah, well, if you're a fan who doesn't care what the artists who are putting on the expensive, elaborate, precision-executed and hard earned live show for you prefer, then I dunno what to say to that, LOL.

You seem to be missing, or ignoring, the point to most of these replies. You just said, "nobody can dispute that" in a previous post. But clearly it has been disputed by other's experiences. Maybe what you really meant was to say, " I don't care what others say, my position is right and everyone else is wrong if they disagree".

No need to rise up and save us from ourselves or save them who are seated around us.

B

BTW, Neil is an awesome drummer whom I love to listen to and see live. He is not the source on all things right and wrong.

At least for some of us that is.

Look, man, if you're gonna defend the taping and streaming of shows (something the band doesn't want you to do), much less disregard common courtesy in a large crowd, good for you. Guys like you are the ones who are disregarding the obvious here. If the artist doesn't want you to do something at their show, you ought not to do it. Period. They're providing a service for which you paid, but that does not give you total leeway to do whatever you want. If security tells you to stop taping, if the tickets say 'no cameras or recording,', then you're disrespecting the artist. Period.

I am not defending any right or wrong. I am merely pointing out where you have appointed yourself advocate of the artist as well as judge, of what is a better experience, for all people. You have not just stated your opinion but also "guaranteed" that others have been distracted by my actions while you have zero evidence. You take your experiences and project them into others experiences and make that the basis for your arguments. I invite you into the SOCN portion of TRF. There you can post all you like about how your position is not only right for you but also right for all others. I am sure you will be well received.

Until then, :cheers:

Edited by Mystic Rythm
  • Like 1

You seem to be missing, or ignoring, the point to most of these replies. You just said, "nobody can dispute that" in a previous post. But clearly it has been disputed by other's experiences. Maybe what you really meant was to say, " I don't care what others say, my position is right and everyone else is wrong if they disagree".

No need to rise up and save us from ourselves or save them who are seated around us.

B

BTW, Neil is an awesome drummer whom I love to listen to and see live. He is not the source on all things right and wrong.

Look, man, if you're gonna defend the taping and streaming of shows (something the band doesn't want you to do), much less disregard common courtesy in a large crowd, good for you. Guys like you are the ones who are disregarding the obvious here. If the artist doesn't want you to do something at their show, you ought not to do it. Period. They're providing a service for which you paid, but that does not give you total leeway to do whatever you want. If security tells you to stop taping, if the tickets say 'no cameras or recording,', then you're disrespecting the artist. Period.

How does it feel arguing against straw? My position has been that if you only occupy your own space, other people should leave you alone. That is not the same as total leeway to do whatever you want. But you feel the need to control others who are doing something that cannot reasonably bother anyone else. Congrats...you're selfishness is part of the very problem you pretend to want to address.

You "dunno" what to say, yet that doesn't seem to stop you from inserting your opinion regardless. Sounds like you.

It's fine if you want to turn the argument personal towards me, ultimately an unnecessary slant, but that doesn't change the apparent conclusion that you do indeed not seem to care about how Rush would prefer you enjoy their show.

It's fine if you want to turn the argument personal towards me, ultimately an unnecessary slant, but that doesn't change the apparent conclusion that you do indeed not seem to care about how Rush would prefer you enjoy their show.

Mirror time.

• Like 1

B

How does it feel arguing against straw? My position has been that if you only occupy your own space, other people should leave you alone. That is not the same as total leeway to do whatever you want. But you feel the need to control others who are doing something that cannot reasonably bother anyone else. Congrats...you're selfishness is part of the very problem you pretend to want to address.

If you truly believe that holding up a cell phone the entire show doesn't reasonably bother anyone around you, you're not paying enough attention to those around you. But folks who do that, tend not to notice, or care, so....yeah. I'm controlling nobody. If the band doesn't want you to record the show, you shouldn't do it. It's rude to others around you and you're potentially abusing artists' rights.

I'm hardly being selfish by advocating for artist rights and crowd courtesy. It's the other way around. But you know that. You're defending a defenseless position.

B

I am not defending any right or wrong. I am merely pointing out where you have appointed yourself advocate of the artist as well as judge, of what is a better experience, for all people. You have not just stated your opinion but also "guaranteed" that others have been distracted by my actions while you have zero evidence. You take your experiences and project them into others experiences and make that the basis for your arguments. I invite you into the SOCN portion of TRF. There you can post all you like about how your position is not only right for you but also right for all others. I am sure you will be well received.

LOL, you guys are all the same. Advocating for the 'right' to do whatever you want at the show. Good for you.

Once again....it's not me that sets the rules. If the ticket says 'no recording,' and your actions have to be done on the sly (as bootleggers have to), you're probably doing something against the rules. Not my rules. The artist's rules.

What's not being said here?

"I'll record the damned show if I want to, and I believe it doesn't bother anyone and I don't care what the artist prefers."

Mirror time.

Oh, trust me, nothing about this has gotten personal to me. LOL. :)

I'll note with some amusement that you have continually disregarded the one point in all my responses to you I've tried to mention every time...you're advocating something that the band does not want you to do.

Edited by Bard

B

If you truly believe that holding up a cell phone the entire show doesn't reasonably bother anyone around you, you're not paying enough attention to those around you. But folks who do that, tend not to notice, or care, so....yeah. I'm controlling nobody. If the band doesn't want you to record the show, you shouldn't do it. It's rude to others around you and you're potentially abusing artists' rights.

I'm hardly being selfish by advocating for artist rights and crowd courtesy. It's the other way around. But you know that. You're defending a defenseless position.

Can you please point to an instance where the band has said that holding a phone at chin height directly in front of you is a distraction that they want stopped? Most people I've heard on the subject don't like people who hold the phones high in the air and record for long periods.

B

LOL, you guys are all the same. Advocating for the 'right' to do whatever you want at the show. Good for you.

Once again....it's not me that sets the rules. If the ticket says 'no recording,' and your actions have to be done on the sly (as bootleggers have to), you're probably doing something against the rules. Not my rules. The artist's rules.

What's not being said here?

"I'll record the damned show if I want to, and I believe it doesn't bother anyone and I don't care what the artist prefers."

Does it make you feel good to misrepresent others' views?

B

Can you please point to an instance where the band has said that holding a phone at chin height directly in front of you is a distraction that they want stopped? Most people I've heard on the subject don't like people who hold the phones high in the air and record for long periods.

Please read your ticket for further clarification. :)

B

Please read your ticket for further clarification. :)

You know those aren't written by the band, right? Of course you do.

Furthermore, the ticket doesn't say anything about phones. However, the ticket does say that it only provides me with a revocable license to attend the show. One would imagine if these were such a distraction and the band hated them so much, it would be very easy for the venue to stop this. Yet they don't. Hmmm....why could that be? This is hard.

• Like 1

Furthermore, the ticket doesn't say anything about phones. However, the ticket does say that it only provides me with a revocable license to attend the show. One would imagine if these were such a distraction and the band hated them so much, it would be very easy for the venue to stop this. Yet they don't. Hmmm....why could that be? This is hard.

Ha. Apparently you are unaware that most of the time the artist dictates camera policy, not the venue, right?

Some venues have hard set rules regarding camera policy. But most of them leave it up to the artist.

Why would you think it's an easy task for a venue housing 20k people all with their own cell phones to enforce that rule?

You're still avoiding the main crux of my position.

Tell you what. Next time you see one of the guys in Rush, ask them how they feel about you recording the whole show through your mobile phone.

Let me know what they tell ya. :)

Edited by Bard

Ha. Apparently you are unaware that most of the time the artist dictates camera policy, not the venue, right?

Some venues have hard set rules regarding camera policy. But most of them leave it up to the artist.

Why would you think it's an easy task for a venue housing 20k people all with their own cell phones to enforce that rule?

Tell you what. Next time you see one of the guys in Rush, ask them how they feel about you recording the whole show through your mobile phone.

So the band sets the policy, yet my ticket says nothing at all about phones, cell phones, smart phones, etc, and from that you deduce they don't want you using them. And if the venue didn't want you to use the phones, it would be quite easy to stop people. First, you'd tell them that you don't want them used. Of course, seeing as no one has said that, that's a strong indication that the use of the phones isn't against policy. Second, because phones are a shining beacon of light from which no normal human could possibly avert their gaze, it should be exceedingly easy to find anyone using it and kick them out of the show. Once others see people being escorted from the show for using the phones, they'll stop. Again, seeing as no venue does this, it's a strong indication that they don't want to stop cell phone use.

If someone is blocking your view with a cell phone, politely ask them to put it down. If not, shut the f**k up and mind your own damned business.

You know what, people with red shirts really distract me. Please, no one in MSG wear any red shirts, otherwise you're being a selfish asshole.
  • Like 1

If you're complainig about cell phones at a concert then you're basically talking to a wall.

It's how it is nowadays. You might as well be screaming "get off my lawn!l or "damn kids and their rock n roll!!!" while you complain about shit you can't control.

Roll with it. It ain't gonna change or stop unless they strip search everyone coming thru the doors.

Now... Who's periscoping the bitch tonight?!??!!

• Like 2

So the band sets the policy, yet my ticket says nothing at all about phones, cell phones, smart phones, etc, and from that you deduce they don't want you using them. And if the venue didn't want you to use the phones, it would be quite easy to stop people. First, you'd tell them that you don't want them used. Of course, seeing as no one has said that, that's a strong indication that the use of the phones isn't against policy. Second, because phones are a shining beacon of light from which no normal human could possibly avert their gaze, it should be exceedingly easy to find anyone using it and kick them out of the show. Once others see people being escorted from the show for using the phones, they'll stop. Again, seeing as no venue does this, it's a strong indication that they don't want to stop cell phone use.

If someone is blocking your view with a cell phone, politely ask them to put it down. If not, shut the f**k up and mind your own damned business.

LOL, you're reaching. You think that semantics are going to back your take? They mean phone cameras as much as any other cameras, genius. ANY type of camera. And if you truly think that a few hundred security staff can manage to police a 17k crowd for every camera infraction, you're in denial.

But basically you're saying since everyone does it, and it's become an accepted practice, it's perfectly okay. The e-Evolution of concert etiquette is what it is. You're embracing it. Good for you. That doesn't mean it's right. Ten bucks says you wouldn't be so sure in your belief if you were face to face with Geddy.

I tend to back the artists' preferences. They certainly don't HAVE to tour for us.

But I also like to respect those behind me, and around me. And holding up a phone for the entire show is distracting for most people. You're a minority opinion. Sorry.

If you're complainig about cell phones at a concert then you're basically talking to a wall.

It's how it is nowadays. You might as well be screaming "get off my lawn!l or "damn kids and their rock n roll!!!" while you complain about shit you can't control.

Roll with it. It ain't gonna change or stop unless they strip search everyone coming thru the doors.

I do roll with it. I've evolved along with the rest of concert goers.

I"m simply pointing out how lame that evolution is. And how the artists generally prefer (not all, some have embraced the selfie generation) that it not happen if they have a choice. Alas, arena gigs don't get much of a choice.

Because the white elephant is, no matter how you slice it, viewing a show through a phone is a lesser experience than watching it with your baby blues, in the moment. Nobody can dispute that.

I can dispute it, because I've had both experiences, multiple times now. And I'll say that Periscoping with TRF is as fun as being front row was for me, because of the social aspect of it.

And "elephant in the room" is the phrase you meant to use, I believe. A "white elephant" is a horribly tacky gift you've been burdened with...

...like your posts in this thread.

• Like 1

Because the white elephant is, no matter how you slice it, viewing a show through a phone is a lesser experience than watching it with your baby blues, in the moment. Nobody can dispute that.

I can dispute it, because I've had both experiences, multiple times now. And I'll say that Periscoping with TRF is as fun as being front row was for me, because of the social aspect of it.

And "elephant in the room" is the phrase you meant to use, I believe. A "white elephant" is a horribly tacky gift you've been burdened with...

Aw, somebody's holding a grudge. :)

I'd expect no less sentiment from a SEAT CRASHER.

Guys like you don't get a vote. You steal from other Rush fans. Sorry. :)

Also, your claim that you get off just as much from streaming a live feed to anonymous online fans as being in the front row is a bit superfluous...given the fact that you have admitted you have seat crashed front row. Your honor is suspect at best.

Aw, somebody's holding a grudge. :)

I'd expect no less sentiment from a SEAT CRASHER.

Guys like you don't get a vote. You steal from other Rush fans. Sorry. :)

Also, your claim that you get off just as much from streaming a live feed to anonymous online fans as being in the front row is a bit superfluous...given the fact that you have admitted you have seat crashed front row. Your honor is suspect at best.

Oh...are you VanSqualin? All makes sense now.

Why don't you go shit on someone else's parade, you cantankerous f**k.

See. There's people who don't care, and there's people who do. I would theorize the guys that record or don't mind the constant phone use are almost certainly younger than the old school Rush fans. For obvious reasons.

But again, I will always fail to see the logic of recording a song instead of concentrating on it in the moment solely for one's personal enjoyment. Actualizing the memory itself ought to be more important than recording the memory. In my world, anyway. :)

In floor seats, rows 10 thru 20, it gets very difficult to see through the sea of phones. It is very frustrating. At least where Tracy was filming from in St Louis, on an incline, it a little easier for the people behind him to see.

So there it is, the smart phone era has ruined floor seats. As frustrating as that can be, it was very exciting watching and hearing the live feeds. Never expected to experience that. It is very different than you tube or concert Blu rays.

Regarding the quality of the official tour blu rays, what's the deal with the Rush releases? Does the producer have to pay a fine if each shot lasts more than four seconds? Dizzying. For that reason, I find the Rush Blu rays much more difficult to enjoy than they should be...cut...cut...cut...cut...cut...

Interesting. I was on the floor, am of average height, and had no issue whatsoever.

I'm fairly tall, 6'2", one of the CA shows had 18th row center (4 rows behind Chad Smith!). Alot of the fans there were quite tall, and many were holding their phones above their head. It wasn't fun.