The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Saga are astounding! I get Rush, Toto and new wave vibes, and it is really atmospheric!

New wave is something that generally turns me off, really...but if still be willing to check them out because of the other two reference points, there.

:cool:

New Wave was a bit of a mistake on my part...

Saga are astounding! I get Rush, Toto and new wave vibes, and it is really atmospheric!

New wave is something that generally turns me off, really...but I'd still be willing to check them out because of the other two reference points, there.

:cool:

New Wave was a bit of a mistake on my part...

How do you mean?

Saga's first 7 albums indeed beats rush 80's run for me. Big statement but i could listen to those first 7 on a loop.

Love it.

Mick

• Like 1

Saga's first 7 albums indeed beats rush 80's run for me. Big statement but i could listen to those first 7 on a loop.

Love it.

Mick

Erm...gimme time, but so far I like them a lot, I can honestly say I see them rivalling Toto! But seventies Rush? Mmmmmmmmaybe... Eighties Rush?

I need time!

Edited by Segue Myles

Love it.

Mick

Erm...gimme time, but so far I like them a lot, I can honestly say I see them rivalling Toto! But seventies Rush? Mmmmmmmmaybe..

oh 70's Rush they beat easily for me. 80's Rush was a tougher battle but their winning it.

Michael Sadler's cheesy Faux operatic singing makes no sense and i love it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Love it.

Mick

Erm...gimme time, but so far I like them a lot, I can honestly say I see them rivalling Toto! But seventies Rush? Mmmmmmmmaybe..

oh 70's Rush they beat easily for me. 80's Rush was a tougher battle but their winning it.

Mick

His voice is really nice! It sounds like what Dennis DeYoung must think he sounds like. I get a Styx vibe at times from Saga, mixed with eighties Rush, ABBA melodies and Toto levels of musicality.

Not prog, if you ask me, but proggy pop rock in the vein of late seventies Kansas (only, in my opinion, better!).

• Like 1

Images At Twilight is an incredible album. So far, my absolute hands down favourite Saga album! Incredible songs, the melodies are off the charts, and the structure if the songs are totally unpredictable.
  • Like 1

Love it.

Mick

Mick

His voice is really nice! It sounds like what Dennis DeYoung must think he sounds like. I get a Styx vibe at times from Saga, mixed with eighties Rush, ABBA melodies and Toto levels of musicality.

Not prog, if you ask me, but proggy pop rock in the vein of late seventies Kansas (only, in my opinion, better!).

i would agree But I think the longer instrumental Passages on the early stuff push it a tiny bit towards prog.

but by Worlds apart they ditched it for Straight Toto/Duran Duran style stuff.

Mick

• Like 1

Love it.

Mick

Mick

i would agree But I think the longer instrumental Passages on the early stuff push it a tiny bit towards prog.

but by Worlds apart they ditched it for Straight Toto/Duran Duran style stuff.

Mick

I hear the prog now, on Images At Twilight. But because it feels so totally unforced, it comes across as easier listening than most of the pretentious prog acts I am used to boring myself with (being a nice young man, I shan't wreck peoples lives slating any particular bands *cough* ELP *cough*).

I'd Rank the first 7 like this

1. Worlds Apart( i like it cause Saga's like "We're gonna copy some shit and do it probably better........WHEEEEE!!!!!!!", LOL)

2. Saga

3. Images at Twilight

4. Silent Knight

5. Heads or Tails

6. Behavior

7. Wildest Dreams

Mick

• Like 1

1. Worlds Apart( i like it cause Saga's like "We're gonna copy some shit and do it probably better........WHEEEEE!!!!!!!", LOL)

2. Saga

3. Images at Twilight

4. Silent Knight

5. Heads or Tails

6. Behavior

7. Wildest Dreams

Mick

I will focus on these albums first methinks! Heard three of that seven so far, and Images At Twilight is currently my absolute favourite.

• Like 1

I could just see you grinning your face off at a song like Slow Motion Segue

SLOW MO......TION. LET EVERYBODY ELSE RUN AROUND!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

Must get into them properly! Them and Black Crowes, interestingly introduced to me by my two fave forum buddies!

Currently playing K-pop girl band Girls Generation. So much of the sixties Motown, showgirls style harmonies mixed with modern girl band pop, I absolutely love them!

• Like 3

2. Saga

3. Images at Twilight

4. Silent Knight

5. Heads or Tails

6. Behavior

7. Wildest Dreams

Mick

I have to amend my list a tad. Heads or tails should be above Silent Knight. Just Listened to SK........It is a step down from Images at Twilight. quite a big step down........wasn't feeling it as much.

still good.......not great.

Mick

I could just see you grinning your face off at a song like Slow Motion Segue

SLOW MO......TION. LET EVERYBODY ELSE RUN AROUND!!!!!!!

lol.

Mick

Must get into them properly! Them and Black Crowes, interestingly introduced to me by my two fave forum buddies!

:wub:

When you are properly in the mood for more- The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion...it beckons you...

• Like 1

I am in a real musical rutt at the moment. Nothing is right, I just feel flat and Meh!

Only artist to really mean anything to me lately is seventies Rush, and select Jimmy Eat World albums.

• Like 2

I am in a real musical rutt at the moment. Nothing is right, I just feel flat and Meh!

Only artist to really mean anything to me lately is seventies Rush, and select Jimmy Eat World albums.

It'll come back.......with what you have going on personally. i don't blame you.

it'll re-spark though.

it's happened to me multiple times.

Mick

• Like 2

I hope so! I've been so moody lately and a big part of that is my dwindling interest in music.

Playing Foreigner though, I do really enjoy this band, whatever my mood!

• Like 1

Awake Is much better then i thought. This album to me is what Hemispheres is to Segue.

maybe my mood is just right.

Space dyed Vest is so beautiful.

Mick

I think most bands I rave about have a love/hate album.

The biggest for me:

1. Rush- Hemispheres

2. Bruce Springsteen- Born In The USA

3. Yes- 90215; Big Generator

4. Toto- Hydra; Kingdom Of Desire

5. Fleetwood Mac- Tango In The Night

All these albums have moments where they really HIT me as something great. Other days, I wanna be hit. Unconscious.

I was feeling the same about a week ago, and I dug back into things I've not paid attention to for a couple of years- it's been really good. Sounds like much the same as you did with Jimmy Eat World.

(I was going to use an acronym for that band's name, but then, umm, no. Decided against it!)

• Like 1

It'll come back.......with what you have going on personally. i don't blame you.

it'll re-spark though.

it's happened to me multiple times.

Mick

It always does spark up again, yes- something does, anyway.

oh me too

Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

Toto-Hydra, Isolation

DT-Awake

Steely Dan Pretzel Logic

it's weird when it happens.........and so confusing.

Mick

I consistently dislike Sgt. Pepper. But I would place four or five songs on my all time favourite list! Go figure...but as an album it has, I swear, some of the worst songs The Beatles ever wrote. Magical Mystery Tour as a whole is WAY better, even if it does lack a song as great as A Day In The Life, or as affecting as She's Leaving Home.

• Like 1