Ticketbastard

MMCXII

Well, at least TicketBastard sends their tickets right away, unlike Tickets Today. (Um, I'd like my "tickets today", please, not two weeks before the show, dickheads!)

And yes I have heard of printing my own. But I want actual tickets, not crappy pieces of paper.

• Like 2

Just reporting the facts - during each of the pre-sales for Tampa, I was online at 10 am with password and tried continually over the course of several hours and never pulled up seats in the lower bowl or on the floor. Several of my friends were also trying and had the same experience. I noted that the day before the public sale, ticketbasard themselves were listing more than 2200 tickets for resale for the show - most of which in the lower bowl or on the floor. These were defined seats - section, row, and seat number many of which you could download instantly. This is not even considering ticketbastards "platinum seats", this was re-sale by anonymous "individuals". In addition, Stub Hub was listing an additional 1500+ seats for resale (section, row , seat number.) Clearly a high percentage of the lower/floor seats were purchased in pre-sale for the express purpose of resale at a much higher price.

There have been many other threads discussing this - some peeps actually seem to support this system touting it as fair capitalism. I would argue that it is not an open market and is, in effect, crony-capitalism in which ticketbastard is colluding with brokers to enable them to grab swaths of prime tickets and crank up the prices which exploits the band (which has already signed a agreement with LiveNation for bounded amounts of $ based on total number of tickets sold) and exploits the rabid fan base by forcing them to pay well over face value to have halfway decent tickets to the show. I don't buy the "auction mentality" of it either - while I wouldn't have a problem with an individual selling their seats for what they can get for them, but having an anonymous group of "individuals" selling entire sections on the floor is more than conspiracy. I would love to see a statistical evaluation of how the re-sellers were able to purchase entire rows on the floor (with a 4 tickets per person limit?), while many fans reported not a single seat coming up on the floor. Are there really 500 times more re-sellers than fans trying to buy during pre-sale? Is the re-sellers internet connection that much faster than a fans? or is ticketbastard suspending rules or otherwise giving re-sellers a back door to purchase sections?

It would be interesting to know, beyond somebody's opinion, how this phenomenon occurs and where the money goes.

There's a difference between accepting reality and suggesting it is fair.

As for the re-selling. Here's the thing... there are multiple presales for concerts these days. Usually the very first presale is sponsored by a bank/credit card (AMEX, Citi, etc.). People with those cards get early access to the tickets (by way of using their card for the purchase). And, yes, some of those people buy them and turn around and sell them for a profit. Some ticket brokers do this, as well. But I can guarantee you that many of those resellers were average run-of-the-mill consumers.

If any consumer wants to have truly early access to concert tickets, they likely should have a couple of the key cards that are most often used (again, Amex and Citi are the two most common). If someone has an aversion to those cards or prefers not to use credit cards for those purchases, I get that. I even respect that. But I also understand it is a choice.

The second presale is usually for fan clubs or LiveNation, etc. account holders. At a minimum, then, have a LiveNation account and click to accept their promotional emails when signing up. It's a pain to have to filter through their daily, seriously daily, concert notices, but you at least get the presale codes.

And this is after the venue, sponsors, promoters, etc. have all reserved their blocks.

By the time you get to the actual sale, it is entirely possible that only 1/3 of the venue space remains. If you go old school and try to buy at the venue, you are toast.

Is this fair? No. Not really. Is it reality? Yes.

Here's the other realities.... Reality two... Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam, along with Garth Brooks and a few other artists tried to take on this system about 20 years ago and failed. If the biggest acts in music at that time couldn't win, are we going to change it? Reality three.... venue scarcity effects all of this as there are fewer and fewer places to play and those places have signed on to contracts with Ticketmaster/LiveNation, etc. Reality four... the market factors have changed drastically in the past quarter century. Concerts are now the key money maker for artists and their support staff.

Yes, it's capitalism. No, capitalism is not built on a construct of fair. It is built on a construct of supply and demand. Supply is limited. Demand is high. Caveat emptor.

• Like 2

Just reporting the facts - during each of the pre-sales for Tampa, I was online at 10 am with password and tried continually over the course of several hours and never pulled up seats in the lower bowl or on the floor. Several of my friends were also trying and had the same experience. I noted that the day before the public sale, ticketbasard themselves were listing more than 2200 tickets for resale for the show - most of which in the lower bowl or on the floor. These were defined seats - section, row, and seat number many of which you could download instantly. This is not even considering ticketbastards "platinum seats", this was re-sale by anonymous "individuals". In addition, Stub Hub was listing an additional 1500+ seats for resale (section, row , seat number.) Clearly a high percentage of the lower/floor seats were purchased in pre-sale for the express purpose of resale at a much higher price.

There have been many other threads discussing this - some peeps actually seem to support this system touting it as fair capitalism. I would argue that it is not an open market and is, in effect, crony-capitalism in which ticketbastard is colluding with brokers to enable them to grab swaths of prime tickets and crank up the prices which exploits the band (which has already signed a agreement with LiveNation for bounded amounts of $ based on total number of tickets sold) and exploits the rabid fan base by forcing them to pay well over face value to have halfway decent tickets to the show. I don't buy the "auction mentality" of it either - while I wouldn't have a problem with an individual selling their seats for what they can get for them, but having an anonymous group of "individuals" selling entire sections on the floor is more than conspiracy. I would love to see a statistical evaluation of how the re-sellers were able to purchase entire rows on the floor (with a 4 tickets per person limit?), while many fans reported not a single seat coming up on the floor. Are there really 500 times more re-sellers than fans trying to buy during pre-sale? Is the re-sellers internet connection that much faster than a fans? or is ticketbastard suspending rules or otherwise giving re-sellers a back door to purchase sections?

It would be interesting to know, beyond somebody's opinion, how this phenomenon occurs and where the money goes.

As for the re-selling. Here's the thing... there are multiple presales for concerts these days. Usually the very first presale is sponsored by a bank/credit card (AMEX, Citi, etc.). People with those cards get early access to the tickets (by way of using their card for the purchase). And, yes, some of those people buy them and turn around and sell them for a profit. Some ticket brokers do this, as well. But I can guarantee you that many of those resellers were average run-of-the-mill consumers.

If any consumer wants to have truly early access to concert tickets, they likely should have a couple of the key cards that are most often used (again, Amex and Citi are the two most common). If someone has an aversion to those cards or prefers not to use credit cards for those purchases, I get that. I even respect that. But I also understand it is a choice.

The second presale is usually for fan clubs or LiveNation, etc. account holders. At a minimum, then, have a LiveNation account and click to accept their promotional emails when signing up. It's a pain to have to filter through their daily, seriously daily, concert notices, but you at least get the presale codes.

And this is after the venue, sponsors, promoters, etc. have all reserved their blocks.

By the time you get to the actual sale, it is entirely possible that only 1/3 of the venue space remains. If you go old school and try to buy at the venue, you are toast.

Here's the other realities.... Reality two... Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam, along with Garth Brooks and a few other artists tried to take on this system about 20 years ago and failed. If the biggest acts in music at that time couldn't win, are we going to change it? Reality three.... venue scarcity effects all of this as there are fewer and fewer places to play and those places have signed on to contracts with Ticketmaster/LiveNation, etc. Reality four... the market factors have changed drastically in the past quarter century. Concerts are now the key money maker for artists and their support staff.

Yes, it's capitalism. No, capitalism is not built on a construct of fair. It is built on a construct of supply and demand. Supply is limited. Demand is high. Caveat emptor.

I agree, but would say, supply is manipulated, demand is manipulated. Adam Smith would argue whether it's free market capitalism, but it is our system and we are stuck with it.

Edited by Gabrielgil513
  • Like 1

Once again, a fair summing up. :)

I still am confused as to why people lament the supply and demand 'unfairness' of the market, but have no problem doing the exact same thing when they want to reap capital gains on the resale of the house. If they really weren't cherry picking when to whine about concert tickets, then they should sell their home, or anything else that's increased in value or rareness that they own, at the very same cost they purchased it.

I agree, but would say, supply is manipulated, demand is manipulated. Adam Smith would argue whether it's free market capitalism, but it is our system and we are stuck with it.

There is NO system in a free market that isn't influenced by manipulation of advertising, corporate red and black lines, scarcity of commodity, world events, celebrity or authority endorsements, etc, etc. If you want a socialist method of equal opportunity and regulated pricing, that's great, but it's not reality and hasn't been since, oh, forever.

Can someone explain this to me? I bought tickets for two Rush shows yesterday. The "best ones available"... Way up in the stands.. Then I go on the ticketmaster website today and it's showing they have a fair bit of "platinum" seats available within the first 6 rows on the floor! What's happening here? Why didn't they let me know that when I went down there? I'm sure Im missing something here.. Just makes no sense..

Explanation is . . . . . TicketScalper Sucks & the whole ticking procedure is broke !

Just go back down to TicketScalper & inform them about the one's you found in the front section.

I would think they would be happy to exchange those for tickets they have for 5x face value.

:ranton:

So who Profits from this, The Band, The Promoter, The Venue , No No & :no:

So, the local record store got 100 of the New 2112 albums, list ( face ) price is $ 39.95

Due to certain law's they legally have to sell some for list price, ( like Ticketscalper.com )

So they pick 5 random people from the line of 400 fans waiting for the sale to start. :clap:

Then keep the rest & mark the next batch of 10 up to 12x @ $ 479.40 each

Then the next 12 @ 8x to $ 319.60 each

Next 12 @ 6x to $ 239.70 each

so on and so on.....

Anybody have a problem with that ? :huh:

:rantoff:

My only problem is with people buying at those prices then bitching about it.

There is NO system in a free market that isn't influenced by manipulation of advertising, corporate red and black lines, scarcity of commodity, world events, celebrity or authority endorsements, etc, etc. If you want a socialist method of equal opportunity and regulated pricing, that's great, but it's not reality and hasn't been since, oh, forever.

Somewhere in Holland there's a thread where avid gardeners complain about the price of tulip bulbs.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

LOL, more of this?

TM is a monopoly, yes.

That said, premium commodities are always going to command premium prices.

What I think is, people want it to be the golden eras of rock (read: 1970-1990) when tickets were 20 bucks a pop.

But it's not anymore. And concerts are flashpoint high value events/lifetime moments, not just a 'fun time to party with friends and rawk out to so and so.'

Concerts are your Dad's '67 Camaro. Not another VW bug. Welcome to the 21st century.

This is NOT my issue ! ( BTW my 1st Rush show was $ 9.50 )

These were sold @ the venue box office window & everyone payed $ 9.50

Then they started going with reserved seats & different price tiers , All good !

Again purchased @ Venue or a place called Dillard's "Select-a-seat" (Old timer remember this place! )

Again everyone payed FACE value

Then Ticketmaster took over & had ticketing windows @ various place's

Like record store's & some regular retailers & again, 1st in line bought best seats @ FACE value

Also during this era you could still go to the venue & buy ticket there too...

Then ticketmaster got rid of the physical ticketing window & went On-line only

You could still go to the Venue & buy tickets from them @ FACE value

Then Ticketmaster started deals with the ticket-brokers & gave them batches of tickets BEFORE the regular sale start

Also forced the Venue ticket windows to CLOSE & you couldn't buy a ticket from anyone but TICKETSCALPER.com

Then they cut out the "Brokers" & became the ultimate T I C K E T S C A L P E R they are today !

Now, like I said I have NO problem with Higher "FACE value +fee's+connivance+this&that" tickets price's,

If I could buy a floor ticket for "Face Value" @ 197.00 (vegas) I would be fine with that ! :yes:

My trouble is when your forced to buy from 1 source & that 1 source take the best tickets

And turns around & sell's them through the same window @ 3x, 4x, 5x & higher price's :tsk:

If you think this is acceptable you have been BRAINWASHED :crazy:

• Like 2

Just walked out of Ticketbastard. Turns out those platinum seats are just available online. They're sold by live nation but you can get them off ticketscalper.com..

Ya I vented on them for a bit then I said "so let me get this straight.. Live nation buys the tickets from you and scalps them off your own website.."

All I get is, "Ummm, well.."

So I say,"for fukk sakes just say yes"

She says "Yes you're basically right I guess"

I said "later" and walked away.

So there you have it. The truth right from the horses ass .. Why don't I feel any better..

LOL, more of this?

TM is a monopoly, yes.

That said, premium commodities are always going to command premium prices.

What I think is, people want it to be the golden eras of rock (read: 1970-1990) when tickets were 20 bucks a pop.

But it's not anymore. And concerts are flashpoint high value events/lifetime moments, not just a 'fun time to party with friends and rawk out to so and so.'

Concerts are your Dad's '67 Camaro. Not another VW bug. Welcome to the 21st century.

This is NOT my issue ! ( BTW my 1st Rush show was $ 9.50 )

These were sold @ the venue box office window & everyone payed $ 9.50

Then they started going with reserved seats & different price tiers , All good !

Again purchased @ Venue or a place called Dillard's "Select-a-seat" (Old timer remember this place! )

Again everyone payed FACE value

Then Ticketmaster took over & had ticketing windows @ various place's

Like record store's & some regular retailers & again, 1st in line bought best seats @ FACE value

Also during this era you could still go to the venue & buy ticket there too...

Then ticketmaster got rid of the physical ticketing window & went On-line only

You could still go to the Venue & buy tickets from them @ FACE value

Then Ticketmaster started deals with the ticket-brokers & gave them batches of tickets BEFORE the regular sale start

Also forced the Venue ticket windows to CLOSE & you couldn't buy a ticket from anyone but TICKETSCALPER.com

Then they cut out the "Brokers" & became the ultimate T I C K E T S C A L P E R they are today !

Now, like I said I have NO problem with Higher "FACE value +fee's+connivance+this&that" tickets price's,

If I could buy a floor ticket for "Face Value" @ 197.00 (vegas) I would be fine with that ! :yes:

My trouble is when your forced to buy from 1 source & that 1 source take the best tickets

And turns around & sell's them through the same window @ 3x, 4x, 5x & higher price's :tsk:

If you think this is acceptable you have been BRAINWASHED :crazy:

So you're mad because somebody (TicketsNow, StubHub, etc) figured out how to corner a market and markup the product in question by resale. Well, that's fair, you should be irked. We all are. But they're simply taking advantage of a system that allows for markup on scarce product. You could just as easily lament the fact that Rush garners such high prices. Plenty of casino tier acts once glorious in the arena scene now are easily accessible for less than $100 a ticket at your nearest Indian casino circuit or House of Blues. Those 'products' have depreciated in value. Rush, to date, has appreciated in value. Nobody here would be bitching AT ALL if Rush wasn't still a coveted product and they were playing casino circuits for $70 per seat.

It's not the players who have more time and resources to collect resale tickets you should lament. That's just market trade. Happens all the time, to more commodities than concert tickets. What you CAN lament is Rush's popularity in their twilight and how the masses still wanna see them in mass. :) But I don't lament that. 'TIs a rare thing indeed that your fave band is more popular (and coveted) than ever. It's not happening to too many outfits, if you take a look around.

Just walked out of Ticketbastard. Turns out those platinum seats are just available online. They're sold by live nation but you can get them off ticketscalper.com..

Ya I vented on them for a bit then I said "so let me get this straight.. Live nation buys the tickets from you and scalps them off your own website.."

So there you have it. The truth right from the horses ass .. Why don't I feel any better..

Technically speaking, platinum seats ARE face value. I've purchased a set or two. That's the price that's printed on the ticket. That might change if said seats don't move by a week before the show, of course.

Technically speaking, platinum seats ARE face value. I've purchased a set or two. That's the price that's printed on the ticket. That might change if said seats don't move by a week before the show, of course.

In that recent Ray Danniels interview he talks as if he/the band had complete control of their ticket price. So is Ray Danniels behind all this bullshit? ..NO. So technically speaking there's an unnecessary middle man now.. A ticket is one price if you buy it here but another price if you buy it there.. I realize "face value" technically means what's printed on the ticket but that's not really the point..

They should just add $50 or whatever to the price of every single ticket, basically figure out where supply meets demand and sell at that price. That might eliminate scalpers altogether..

It'd be nice, but the upper bowlers are already paying $75 per. At $125, no one would buy the nose bleeds.