Sensitive question, but one which I keep coming back to...

zappafrank

Most of NPYs recent material has been lackluster. His last release that was mostly good was Greendale. The rest have been mediocre at best (not counting CDII).

I'm up to CDII myself, which I enjoyed. I am blown away by the volume of new material released since then. I saw the 2011 film, the 2010 studio material he played sounded like vintage Neil to me. His voice was pure and his guitar rollicking. My intent was not to judge critically, just mentioning a music legend that has proven to be a workaholic in his late 60s (in the studio and on stage) which I find inspirational.

I am blown away by him still doing it. Not at all by the material. I love Neil though and really happy he's still out there doing what he does, making music, putting on Bridge Schools etc. I've been a NPY fan for many years. I just feel since he had his anyuerism he's happy to put out any new stuff he comes out with while Archives 2 is still lingering in production purgatory.

It's all guesswork at what ifs and hindsight. It's pretty fair to presume they'd still be thinking about retirement at this point. Rockstars hit 60, it's time to start thinking about relaxing. Some few keep trudging through their sixties to keep playing, it's in their blood. Rush might do that...but given current indications, it feels like it's the last run at it.

Re: Neil - ehh, it's a miracle we got anything outta Rush ever again after '99. Had those events not occurred, I doubt much would've happened differently...perhaps an extra Rush album instead of Geddy and Alex's solo albums? But who knows.

Rock stars except Neil Young, of course. He is nearly 70 and let's see...two studio albums in 2012, including a double studio album. A live album in 2013. Studio album with orchestra in 2014, and a cover album in 2014. Major international tour in 2014. 2011 live album and 2010 studio album. Just saw his 2011 film on Palladia, he can still hit the high notes on After the Gold Rush, with a full moon in his eyes...

Neil Young isn't playing stuff like Rush is either! (And he doesn't have the same four guys playing with him on a tour...he could go out with an entirely new band, and people would still go see him)

I am blown away by him still doing it. Not at all by the material. I love Neil though and really happy he's still out there doing what he does, making music, putting on Bridge Schools etc. I've been a NPY fan for many years. I just feel since he had his anyuerism he's happy to put out any new stuff he comes out with while Archives 2 is still lingering in production purgatory.

I really enjoyed Psychadelic Pill.

I will say this at least Neil has a choice of being away from his daughter for 4 mths. Just remember people in the Armed Service dont have that choice if called up And their tour is longer Freewill it is a bitch

:goodone:

With Neil still being "the new guy, in some strange way" per Ged on BTLS... this does make me think maybe Neil tries to seek refuge and privacy even from the band itself.

Definitely. He needs to get alone and think/process things every day I'm sure just as most other people tend to default towards socializing

I will say this at least Neil has a choice of being away from his daughter for 4 mths. Just remember people in the Armed Service dont have that choice if called up And their tour is longer Freewill it is a bitch

:goodone:

These people should smarten up and decide between raising kids or being in the military.. I've known so many spoiled drug addicted army brats because they weren't raised properly.

NEP has certainly paid his dues on the road, not sure a comparison with long military tours are fair. The days of three month tours are clearly over. The most would be a 15 show run over 30 days, mostly in LA, NY and Toronto. No need for long motorcycle trips, we are talking short run, 30 days, less travel, less motion, and the family can spend most of this time with him, as the 30 days could occur when school is out. Permanently walking away is much tougher, especially with such a passionate fan base, and this is their last chance to do what defined their professional lives. As the publishing is already sold, there are very few mega pay days left, to generate more net worth for their heirs. A quick 15 show run could gross $30M net them $5M each. In two years, given the surge in Rush ticket sales 2015 vs 2013, $$ will be dangled to them in 2017. Not many rock bands sell the way they do. I am still stunned how much more affordable Who premium tix are compared to Rush.

Of course, when his body says no mas, he will let us know. I do not think we are there just yet.