new tour admission to no ideas for new music?

lifeson90

was just sitting twiddling my thumbs nothing much to do right now so started flicking through a few topics in here and decided to put one up myself as i dont do it that often.

the new tour thing is a bit of a surprise to me from one angle really, namely that i know for a fact true artists have a compulsion to create and chuck out new stuff occasionally, as this great band did almost non stop in the first half of their careers...

so it made me wonder, as the guys decided on investing valuable time now in a new retrospective tour basically churning out great but older stuff live, does this represent some kind of an admission that they really dont have any ideas or direction for new rush right now, as if they did i'm pretty sure they'd be eagerly banging it out in the studio as an artist does on canvas etc.

i mean it's great the guys want to give their fans another chance to see them that isnt my point, but i kinda work in the creative industry myself and if i have new ideas for something it has to get busted out there it absolutely has to, and the guys seem to be saying you know what we dont have anything new right now no really new sound no new lyrics etc nothing that creates a buzz to produce so even though its been a few years and maybe time to at least think about laying some new tracks down theres just not enough there, if anything, to spend time on a new album.

it just kinda figures for me, like i said if these great artists had anything new and inspiring in their heads i think there'd be more of an impetus to bang it out, rather than take a trip down memory lane. just sayin.

and thats ok if true too by the way, if rush got no ideas for a new sound or direction for a new album thats just the way it is and in the lack of one i'll take a tour anyday.

WHATEVER makes the guys happy.... i'll just get back to thumb twiddlin

I don't necessarily think that's the case. It seems Geddy is willing to get in the studio, as is Alex, but that Neil is in a much different place. Given these guys seem to operate on a consensus model (probably why they have stayed together for 4 decades), I imagine the conversation probably went something like this:

Neil - I don't think I am up for an album, at least right now. That's a lot of studio time and the label, fans, etc. will expect a full grand tour. I am definitely not up for that these days.

Alex and Geddy - We totally get that.

Geddy - Man, though, I would like to get out and play a little or do *something*.

Alex - I would be down with that.

Neil - I could do a small tour to celebrate the anniversary and such, but I think we have a talk about the long term. This might need to be the last one, at least for me.

Alex and Geddy - Understood. But it's all three of us or nothing, so let's make it clear to everyone that this is likely the last time we will make this journey.

Neil - Thanks, fellas. It's been a good run.

• Like 2

There could still be new material, whether it's before or after this tour. The issue with new material, i.e. 'album' is that it is NOT a money maker for them at this point. Neil was quoted that, back in the 'old days', they made their money on album sales and broke even on touring. That has flipped with the changes in the industry. If they do some new material, I would guess 2-4 songs, perhaps an EP. But another Clockwork Angels album? Ehhhh, I think not.

That being said, they have enough older material, including deep cuts never played live, that can be dusted off and played live. So in a sense, it would be 'new' to a live setting.

• Like 1

I don't have any doubt that there are still plenty of songs left in the guys, but my hunch is that the conversation between them went something like this:

Neil: Guys, I think I'm done.

Ged & Al: Really? We were hoping to get back into the studio and then go out on the road in the next couple of years.

Neil: How about this for a compromise? Let's do a farewell tour, but let's not explicitly call it that, cuz who knows, maybe I'll get the itch again in the future (but don't count on it).

Ged and Al: That'll work.

• Like 3

I don't have any doubt that there are still plenty of songs left in the guys, but my hunch is that the conversation between them went something like this:

Neil: Guys, I think I'm done.

Ged & Al: Really? We were hoping to get back into the studio and then go out on the road in the next couple of years.

Neil: How about this for a compromise? Let's do a farewell tour, but let's not explicitly call it that, cuz who knows, maybe I'll get the itch again in the future (but don't count on it).

Ged and Al: That'll work.

That's about how I hear the conversation as well. They don't want to call it a farewell tour because they don't want to quit. I think a lot of what they do next will be based on how this tour goes.

• Like 1

Me too, and I was going to say as much the other day. They are smart not to call it a farewell tour. This way, the door is left open - just in case.

I'd be surprised if they do any more tours after this one, but I think they may do a few shows in the next few years before they finally hang it up for good.

• Like 2

Me too, and I was going to say as much the other day. They are smart not to call it a farewell tour. This way, the door is left open - just in case.

I'd be surprised if they do any more tours after this one, but I think they may do a few shows in the next few years before they finally hang it up for good.

Just between us ;) , I don't think they will do any more shows as Rush after this. I think they have faced the fact that they aren't thirty anymore. There get up and go is gone, and the past year plus hiatus has made it harder for them to now pull themselves together and get in touring mode. In the Rush book I have, Alex said ten years ago, right before R30 tour, that he didn't know how he was going to get through it. I can imagine how much harder it is now. For all of them.

• Like 2

I think that they are more than ready to go back into the studio and record another album, but I think they want to go and get in playing shape before they tackle something new. Plus I think they enjoyed the return to their roots that flowed throughout Clockwork Angels. So, not only are they getting warmed up before their next offering, but they get to revisit their earlier compositions that the majority of their fans love and use that to spark something new but possibly with that seventy's mindset and blow our, and their minds.They still got it, and with all their experience from the past forty years, they'll deliver something unique: fresh as always, but with a classic feel.This short tour, then into the studio to record, then back out to support/play the new material, then possibly call it a day as far as touring goes. Don't you think that at this point in their career, they would just love to compose music without having to worry about playing it live.
  • Like 1

I suppose trying to compose something to challenge "Clockwork angels" can't be easy for anyone, but I don't believe the source has completely dried up; finding new valid ideas now must be as difficult as getting in shape for touring and probably both things take their times and leave their marks.

I believe there will be at least another studio album and a maybe a (much) shorter tour; I don't see Rush stop playing completely or having a residency in Las Vegas.

Edited by geezer
  • Like 1

I think they will keep making music as long as they are able. Musicians don't really hang it up or retire like the general public workforce. Music is a musicians life. They don't just stop creating because they reach a certain age. I think they'll be making music until they die.
  • Like 1

I think they will keep making music as long as they are able. Musicians don't really hang it up or retire like the general public workforce. Music is a musicians life. They don't just stop creating because they reach a certain age. I think they'll be making music until they die.

I agree. I think they will work, possibly even together on projects, but not in a big way as "Rush".

I do think this will be the last of Rush as we have known it (although I agree with the notion that it is wise to not call in a Farwell [to Geeks] thing as it keeps their credibility in tact should they decide to do something more down the road). While I think there may be a second North American/Europe leg to the tour in the fall, I just don't see another album (as Rush) or tour after that.

I genuinely believe that Neil's heart is being called in a different direction. I can't fault him for that. Hell, if that is the case, I applaud him for that. And, even though he is technically still "the new guy", Alex and Ged won't try anything "Rush" without Neil.

That said, I see both Alex and Geddy doing some recording and perhaps small tours of some sort. They both recorded solo projects during the hiatus and, for all intents and purposes, this thing is going to turn in to a hiatus. I could even see Alex and Geddy recording together, but with some sort of big ensemble of musicians to make it clear they aren't doing it as "Rush". I also see Neil doing some recording here and there, but more in the vein of his other musical interests outside rock.

Maybe they have a couple of shows here and there thrown in for fun, but as perfectionist as they are about their sets, I think that would have to be a small, intimate show without the expectation of the arena rock feel.

I know. I know. I am being a bit of a buzzkill here, but I am actually trying to help people get through the stages of grief. We are all gonna have to get to acceptance. This is *very* likely the end of the band as we have known and love it. I think any notion that Neil will suddenly realize he misses the road and want to continue on in a significant way ignores everything we know about his life, as well as everything we know about life, in general.

• Like 3