Vinyl good or overrated?

nicky6

It made Vapor Trails sound good to me for the first time ever. So go figure that one out?.... :codger:

Do you listen much to Vapor Trails now? What do you think about it now when you can enjoy the songs?

I don't listen to anything much to be honest. The couple times I listened to it it sounded good and the songs I thought were good before but just sounded sh*tty are just good now. They are actually enjoyable to listen to now....

I still enjoy the sound of vinyl sometimes, but CDs are easier to listen to; i simply don't have time to try becoming a proper audiophile.

However, IMHO opinion the 'state of art' of many 80s LPs pressings left much to be desired, expecially when reprints of 60s or 70s albums.

New vinyl LPs now are pressed at least as 180g and then it's up to the mastering.

And i must confess my weakness for Japanese LPs: real masterpieces.

Edited by geezer

I've always loved vinyl for the art and a bit of nostalgia. However, I don't have any great equipment to spin it on ,so I stick to CD's. I do collect some vinyl (KISS, Rush) because i enjoy having it and it's a fun hobby. Just read an interesting piece about vinyl and Neil Young. He calls it a fashion statement (and to some it certainly is). Made me curious. Could the new pressings from Rush, KISS or even Zep be from a digital master and not the originals?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6458311/neil-young-calls-vinyl-comeback-a-fashion-statement

It does depend on the record too, i played a few cuts off donald fagan's solo album for a friend. and it sounded really good on vinyl, my friend was impressed. now i could play him a few other records that wouldnt sound so good or the same...

Side note: I have an original press copy of Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" on vinyl. It isn't original to me... got it from a roomate in college... but damn if it doesn't just sound amazing and, even though I am only a moderate fan of Ozzy, it is one of my favorite albums to play. I have a few other albums from the same era that just don't compare.

I take most claims about vinyl sounding better with a grain of salt. I considered myself an audiophile and bought a pretty good Thorens turntable in 1984, the same year I bought my first CD player. Playing a record was like a ritual, cleaning the stylus, the record, and I had a static gun. When I first compared CDs and records, I found that sometimes the CD sounded better and sometimes the record sounded better. The CDs tended to have lower noise and often more dynamic range. Sometimes they sounded thin, but since this was not always the case, it cannot be caused by the digital medium but must be a result of different mastering choices.

I tend towards the science of sound. Early tests with music being converted to digital and back showed that most people could not identify the effect of 16 bit digital encoding (the CD standard). Later tests suggested that under the right conditions, some people can identify 16 bit digital but cannot distinguish any differences in 20 bit digital. Most high res is 24 bit.

On balance, I will take CDs for a larger practical dynamic range (any records with a larger dynamic range than the CD counterpart are a result of mastering choices), a lower noise floor, no wow or rumble, and no deterioration in sound from degrading vinyl and a worn stylus.

I would like to know what people are referring to as separation? Channel separation is far superior on a CD, being absolute in the digital domain and degrading somewhat in the amplification, depending on your equipment, but that would also affect records.

I would like most CDs to be released as dual layer products, readable by a CD player or DVD player in 24 bit. I would like bands to leave space around instruments and not compress much. Since radio play seems not to matter for older bands, why make it so loud. It is fine to set the peaks to 0 if you adjust everything linearly without compressing. This actually provides the best signal to noise ratio, but let quiet songs be quiet. I resist downloads. I like having a physical product that I don't have to worry about backing up.

I still have my turntable and about 300 records. I have converted many to digital and written them to CD. I miss the ritual of the records but don't really have a desire to buy any more vinyl.

Edited by Grover

I have been getting back into vinyl a little bit the last year or so. I have had very mixed results, some of the new remastered LPs (like the Rhino Black Sabbath reissues) sound better than the CDs to me, but others sound worse (old Genesis among others). I love the packaging and full lyrics and liner notes that were left out of a lot of the first CDs and even now appear microscopically if they appear at all. I mean can anyone really read anything in the Rush Caress of Steel remastered booklet without a magnifying glass? Plus there is nostalgic value as well for us old people.

If I was younger and had no nostalgic value, I would advise newcomers to not get into vinyl, it is really random as far as quality goes and it seems like every used LP I get has at least one skip in it. Get into things like HDTracks instead, hearing albums from the Cars in full 24 bit/192KHz sampling was a revelation. Hopefully more albums will be released in this format.

I have been getting back into vinyl a little bit the last year or so. I have had very mixed results, some of the new remastered LPs (like the Rhino Black Sabbath reissues) sound better than the CDs to me, but others sound worse (old Genesis among others). I love the packaging and full lyrics and liner notes that were left out of a lot of the first CDs and even now appear microscopically if they appear at all. I mean can anyone really read anything in the Rush Caress of Steel remastered booklet without a magnifying glass? Plus there is nostalgic value as well for us old people.

If I was younger and had no nostalgic value, I would advise newcomers to not get into vinyl, it is really random as far as quality goes and it seems like every used LP I get has at least one skip in it. Get into things like HDTracks instead, hearing albums from the Cars in full 24 bit/192KHz sampling was a revelation. Hopefully more albums will be released in this format.

Most of the time a skip can be countered by adjusting the vertical tracking force on your tone-arm. And just like used vinyl, a used CD comes with its wear and tear.

I would advise newcomers to give vinyl a try, especially with the quality pressings being issues more and more frequently. A reputable site like this

http://store.acousticsounds.com/cat/5/Vinyl_Records

has plenty of audiophile-quality new and old vinyl. While discogs.com (http://www.discogs.com/ has researchable pressings to see which one is the best sounding. It may be a bit more fuss than popping in a cd, but again, most cd players have subpar DAC's in the first place.

It depends a lot on the actual album. I have been turned off most CDs these days because they are too damn LOUD (loud as in see "loudness wars").

Most of the time i will research to see if the Vinyl is just a CD to Vinyl job or if it is a "real" for vinyl job. CA is a great example of an album that just sounds better on Vinyl, absolutely obvious to anyone with a decent sense of hearing (that wasn't meant as an insult,hearing capability , like Vision, does vary a lot from person to person).

This is a good site for checking if the Vinyl you're planning to buy really does vary from the CD

Example shown is CA

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=&album=clockwork+angels

The other advantages to vinyl are that they allow you to disconnect form your device driven life for a few minutes and really LISTEN to the music, read the lyrics in print size that doesn't need a magnifying glass, admire the artwork, etc. Also, the very INconvenience of vinyl will almost force you to listen to songs you may normally dismiss after a few seconds on cDs and hey, you never know, sometimes they grow on you and you end up liking them !

And yes, nostalgia IS a big deal I admit it, but I just got my new Fly By Night in the mail yesterday and I had that same feeling as i used to have a kid when I got anew album, CDs NEVER did that for me, ever..

• Like 1

It depends a lot on the actual album. I have been turned off most CDs these days because they are too damn LOUD (loud as in see "loudness wars").

Most of the time i will research to see if the Vinyl is just a CD to Vinyl job or if it is a "real" for vinyl job. CA is a great example of an album that just sounds better on Vinyl, absolutely obvious to anyone with a decent sense of hearing (that wasn't meant as an insult,hearing capability , like Vision, does vary a lot from person to person).

This is a good site for checking if the Vinyl you're planning to buy really does vary from the CD

Example shown is CA

http://dr.loudness-w...lockwork angels

The other advantages to vinyl are that they allow you to disconnect form your device driven life for a few minutes and really LISTEN to the music, read the lyrics in print size that doesn't need a magnifying glass, admire the artwork, etc. Also, the very INconvenience of vinyl will almost force you to listen to songs you may normally dismiss after a few seconds on cDs and hey, you never know, sometimes they grow on you and you end up liking them !

And yes, nostalgia IS a big deal I admit it, but I just got my new Fly By Night in the mail yesterday and I had that same feeling as i used to have a kid when I got anew album, CDs NEVER did that for me, ever..

That's the other thing. I love opening up the album. Looking at the artwork/pictures and lyrics. Digital pretty much killed that dead.

Mick