1 Night in NYC?

BasqueNYC

Eh, NYC people would probably disagree, a lot easier for them without cars to stay in the city than to take the train to Newark. At any rate, Garden is looking close to sold out, does anyone think they'll add another on 6/28? (I know we're not pyschics, just asking for educated opinions!)

Eh, NYC people would probably disagree, a lot easier for them without cars to stay in the city than to take the train to Newark. At any rate, Garden is looking close to sold out, does anyone think they'll add another on 6/28? (I know we're not pyschics, just asking for educated opinions!)

Nope... For the simple reason that Geddy won't do back to back shows anymore and that run would make three in a row and four in five nights.

Depending on what the set looks like and if they are on fire in Newark I might get a cheapy MSG seat.

I don't know, two nights in arenas in the NYC area is pretty good nowadays, right?

I've seen Rush in the NYC area on every tour since R30. The turnouts all seemed very good and respectable.

Impressive for a "cult" band, I must say.

The new layout in MSG has it closer to 20K for concerts. This tour they are selling everything except behind the stage. Personally, my favorite seats at MSG (old layout) were in the press rows in between the 300 and 400 sections. 1 row if seats, truckloads of legroom and basically a table to put your drinks / snacks and in some cases video cameras on. Unbeatable.
  • Like 2

I don't know why they're not playing Jones Beach.

It seems like generally, across this tour (whether it's the whole thing or merely a first leg), most of the shows are in the NHL/NBA arenas, rather than the open-air amphitheaters they usually play on spring/summer tours. I guess if they're only playing 35 shows, it makes more financial sense to play the hockey arenas and get 10-14k people at between $90-$400 apiece, than get 7,000 in the amphitheaters between $65-$400 apiece plus a few thousand on the lawn at $35-$40 apiece.

I agree with your assessment. But for the record, unlike most outdoor amphitheaters, Jones Beach has a very large seating capacity -- 15,000 seats -- and Rush sells it out every time. So even though they're concentrating more on the higher-capacity hockey arenas, Jones Beach wouldn't have been out of place on this tour.

Actually on Snakes and Arrow, the entire upper section was empty. I got last-minute nosebleeds and when we arrive, they move everyone down into the "The Larger Bowl" (couldn't resist :). I think with rumors floating around that "this is it" a lot more people are interested in the band.

I don't know why they're not playing Jones Beach.

It seems like generally, across this tour (whether it's the whole thing or merely a first leg), most of the shows are in the NHL/NBA arenas, rather than the open-air amphitheaters they usually play on spring/summer tours. I guess if they're only playing 35 shows, it makes more financial sense to play the hockey arenas and get 10-14k people at between $90-$400 apiece, than get 7,000 in the amphitheaters between $65-$400 apiece plus a few thousand on the lawn at $35-$40 apiece.

I agree with your assessment. But for the record, unlike most outdoor amphitheaters, Jones Beach has a very large seating capacity -- 15,000 seats -- and Rush sells it out every time. So even though they're concentrating more on the higher-capacity hockey arenas, Jones Beach wouldn't have been out of place on this tour.

Actually on Snakes and Arrow, the entire upper section was empty. I got last-minute nosebleeds and when we arrive, they move everyone down into the "The Larger Bowl" (couldn't resist :). I think with rumors floating around that "this is it" a lot more people are interested in the band.

That was the 2008 show, not the 2007 one, right? The 2008 show looked empty and there was even less energy than usual. My worst Rush experience.

Doesn't MSG seat 20,000? Or am I mistaken about that?

Thank you, Freddy! I was close enough. :)

Ray Danniels would disagree that 18,200 and 20,000 are close enough. Considering he is missing out on 1800 seats at $150 a pop.

:syrinx:

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

My dilemma is the Neil revelation that there will be alternating sets. Usually, they swing through the NYC area twice over time, but this time all the shows in the area are back to back. To me, this spells Newark & MSG.....b2b shows, so I know I'll get sets A&B.

The Amp in Tampa holds 20k probably a few thousand more than the arena for a concert. Perhaps they want to stay out of the heat, or don't want the shows starting while its still light out. I prefer outdoor