Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull: A Beginners Guide

Segue Myles

If you just want the cd by its available but the sound on those remasters stinks imo. But it is available. If you love the album or just really like it the double cd/dvd is the one to get. And of course you get the Chateau DIsaster tapes which are maybe superior to he Passion Play.

Are they? I thought I had read that the band was not happy with those Herouville session at all. But I guess that doesn't mean that a fan wouldn't.

I have never heard the album, which is why I wanted just the basic album, to start. But if the whole big set is recommended, then I'll just save for it. Thanks!

I'd save yourself the $$$ and get the basic CD. IMO A Passion Play is one of the weaker moments of their main prog phase (71-75; from Aqualung to Minstrel In The Gallery). It's a fine album, but I think trying the one album/one song concept right after Thick As A Brick was maybe more than the band could pull off. It kind of meanders at points, and doesn't have the cohesion of TAAB. With TAAB I can listen to the whole piece without noticing how long it is, but with APP I'm often checking to see how much is left. I can see why they went back to shorter songs on War Child.

Thanks for the advice (which, I admit, I didn't see until just now)... :)

I was coming back to post in here that I just picked up Aqualung (which I have owned before), A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, and Songs from the Wood- $21 for the lot. I'm pretty stoked!

Blue J,you've struck gold with that lot.Minstrel and Songs are excellent,the other two are just good! ENJOY!

Thanks!

I've just listened to A Passion Play for the first time, and I like it quite well! The first half in particular, a bit more than the second.

I found that album somewhat difficult to listen to at first,and it took a lot of repeated listenings to fully appreciate it.Ian Anderson on sax is rather odd too!

• Like 1

If you just want the cd by its available but the sound on those remasters stinks imo. But it is available. If you love the album or just really like it the double cd/dvd is the one to get. And of course you get the Chateau DIsaster tapes which are maybe superior to he Passion Play.

Are they? I thought I had read that the band was not happy with those Herouville session at all. But I guess that doesn't mean that a fan wouldn't.

I have never heard the album, which is why I wanted just the basic album, to start. But if the whole big set is recommended, then I'll just save for it. Thanks!

I'd save yourself the $$$ and get the basic CD. IMO A Passion Play is one of the weaker moments of their main prog phase (71-75; from Aqualung to Minstrel In The Gallery). It's a fine album, but I think trying the one album/one song concept right after Thick As A Brick was maybe more than the band could pull off. It kind of meanders at points, and doesn't have the cohesion of TAAB. With TAAB I can listen to the whole piece without noticing how long it is, but with APP I'm often checking to see how much is left. I can see why they went back to shorter songs on War Child.

I was coming back to post in here that I just picked up Aqualung (which I have owned before), A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, and Songs from the Wood- $21 for the lot. I'm pretty stoked!

Blue J,you've struck gold with that lot.Minstrel and Songs are excellent,the other two are just good! ENJOY!

Thanks!

I've just listened to A Passion Play for the first time, and I like it quite well! The first half in particular, a bit more than the second.

I found that album somewhat difficult to listen to at first,and it took a lot of repeated listenings to fully appreciate it.Ian Anderson on sax is rather odd too!

True, it is different...what really struck me is how similar it sounds to what Genesis was doing at that time ('73)...and I'm a big fan of all that.

Anyway- yes, I'm sure more will be uncovered with repeated listens.

• Like 2

Thanks!

it is a difficult listen at first but it is now arguably my favorite Tull record. I absolutely love it.

• Like 2

Thanks!

True, it is different...what really struck me is how similar it sounds to what Genesis was doing at that time ('73)...and I'm a big fan of all that.

APP and the album recorded before APP,Thick As A Brick are certainly the closest Jethro Tull ever came to total prog rock.Add Aqualung to that too!

Thanks!

APP and the album recorded before APP,Thick As A Brick are certainly the closest Jethro Tull ever came to total prog rock.Add Aqualung to that too!

Yeah, I know both of those records quite well. But virtually everything post-Thick as a Brick I've been ignorant of. Fixing that now. ;)

(I have heard about half of Minstrel, and I love it! I've also heard quite a bit of Heavy Horses, and I didn't care for it much).

• Like 1

Thanks!

Yeah, I know both of those records quite well. But virtually everything post-Thick as a Brick I've been ignorant of. Fixing that now. ;)

(I have heard about half of Minstrel, and I love it! I've also heard quite a bit of Heavy Horses, and I didn't care for it much).

Minstrel is very different from APP.Very acoustic,but still equally accessible!

• Like 1

doubly weird, as I almost posted on this one earlier! I was wondering about how Giant rated here. Ray Shulman is a damn good bass player.

so SegueMyles, did you ever get into Giant even a little bit?

I like the old stuff, but their last album Civilian is strangely compelling and has a good track on it called "Upside Down" (no relation to Jesus and Mary Chain).

So for me:

Three Friends - complex, a little mellow in spots, great guitar solo in "Peel the Paint", and the last song is...majestic? I dunno, but that song does it for me. And what a weird bass/guitar line! Prog city.

Freehand - good production, tunes, and pacing.

Power and Glory - not to everyone's taste, but jesus, listen to Cogs in Cogs!

Acquiring the Taste - Tony Visconti produced this one, and it has a nice autumnal mood.

In a Glass House

Eponymous

Octopus - Knots is well worth checking out. Xylophone solo! Tull fans will probably like this and Freehand the best.

Civilian

Interview - meh plus

Missing Piece - meh

Giant for a Day - meh minus: stinkaroo