Gentle Giant and Jethro Tull: A Beginners Guide

Segue Myles

For Tull... Anything from Stand Up to Brick is a good starting place. Minstrel does do well at "summarizing" the "classic Tull" era but in my opinion it's not quite on par with the others from that era (though still quite good). If you're interested in their "folk era", then check out either Songs From The Wood or Heavy Horses (Horses is my favorite of these but a lot of fans disagree); I can't really advise you on anything post-Stormwatch other than that Broadsword is a solid album but NOTHING like Tull up to that point (well, maybe it's similar to A, but what I've heard from A is pretty bad so I'm not exactly anxious to check that one out)

Benefit is my favourite Tull album, and I've been looking at the 2CD + DVD set, but I haven't decided to buy it. Can anyone recommend to me if all of the extras on it are worth the purchase?
  • Like 1

I could make recommendations but I don't like to type in these threads they're not really my style. :AlienSmiley:

I never really understood threads like this, either. TRF users have the absolute worst opinions on everything. I'd rather just find shit on my own

Hey, I have excellent taste! ;) j/k

• Like 1

I could make recommendations but I don't like to type in these threads they're not really my style. :AlienSmiley:

I never really understood threads like this, either. TRF users have the absolute worst opinions on everything. I'd rather just find shit on my own

Hey, I have excellent taste! ;)

Yes, you do!

I've discovered lots of things on my own, but I also believe it's a good thing to call on the counsel of others. There's certainly no harm in it! And that has helped me to discover lots of other good things, as well.

• Like 1

Benefit is my favourite Tull album, and I've been looking at the 2CD + DVD set, but I haven't decided to buy it. Can anyone recommend to me if all of the extras on it are worth the purchase?

Blue J,its a no brainer!

Excellent Steven Wilson remixes,and some interesting extra tracks!

Like the remixes of Passion Play,and Minstrel in the Gallery albums,it's essential listening!

• Like 1

I love these 3 Tull albums :D

This Was (1968)

Stand Up (1969)

Benefit (1970)

A MAGNIFICENT THREESOME! :notworthy:

• Like 1

The first Gentle Giant album I ever owned was Playing The Fool: The Official Live. I bought it at a used record store, because I'd seen their other albums and remember an older sister's boyfriend mentioning them once. It took me a while to wrap my head around the band--they are not immediately accessible, but rather something you slowly realize is genius--but once I did I was hooked, and then went searching for studio albums by the band based on what I liked live. Also, it was cool because when I discovered the studio albums I learned GG often re-arranged things live, so the songs were often in very different forms to what I knew.

For studio albums, start with the middle classic period of the band, from Octopus through Interview. The first three albums have their moments, but they didn't really come together as a band for me until Octopus. Octopus is pretty accessible for them, as is Free Hand, I find. The last three albums were a departure, sure, and I don't care much for most of them, HOWEVER! :) Side two of The Missing Piece is as good as most of the classic albums. "For Nobody" and "Memories of Old Days" are among the songs I think of when I think of Gentle Giant. Side one was a transition to the direction the band followed on the last two albums, but side two isn't to be missed.

• Like 3

Blue J,its a no brainer!

Excellent Steven Wilson remixes,and some interesting extra tracks!

Like the remixes of Passion Play,and Minstrel in the Gallery albums,it's essential listening!

Duly noted. ;)

Thank you!

• Like 1

The first Gentle Giant album I ever owned was Playing The Fool: The Official Live. I bought it at a used record store, because I'd seen their other albums and remember an older sister's boyfriend mentioning them once. It took me a while to wrap my head around the band--they are not immediately accessible, but rather something you slowly realize is genius-- but once I did I was hooked, and then went searching for studio albums by the band

That is exactly it for me, too. I haven't heard that live album yet...I am still just at the beginning of discovering what they were all about. from exquisitely strange to just plain exquisite...there's a lot to uncover. But there has been enough that really grabs me that I'm definitely interested in more. It just takes some time.

• Like 1

The first Gentle Giant album I ever owned was Playing The Fool: The Official Live. I bought it at a used record store, because I'd seen their other albums and remember an older sister's boyfriend mentioning them once. It took me a while to wrap my head around the band--they are not immediately accessible, but rather something you slowly realize is genius-- but once I did I was hooked, and then went searching for studio albums by the band

That is exactly it for me, too. I haven't heard that live album yet...I am still just at the beginning of discovering what they were all about. from exquisitely strange to just plain exquisite...there's a lot to uncover. But there has been enough that really grabs me that I'm definitely interested in more. It just takes some time.

And I've found like many things I had to grow to appreciate, I appreciate them all the more. Like scotch, or Impressionist painting. :)

• Like 1

Why is no one mentioning Stormwatch? Good God, that album is frickin' fantastic. That'd be my first choice.

Why is no one mentioning Stormwatch? Good God, that album is frickin' fantastic. That'd be my first choice.

It happens to be my least favorite Tull album. Well up until Rock Island anyway.

Whaaaa??? Oh man. Worth it for Dark Ages alone. I think Anderson's voice was just at its best in the late seventies. He'd cast off the nasally thing he had in the earlier recordings and had a great gruff sort of tone (probably responsible for whatever happened to his voice later). Ah well. I guess it's what I started with - that sort of folk rock thing - Heavy Horses and Stormwatch and Songs from the Wood are what I started with. Got into Thick as a Brick and Aqualung later. Love Passion Play, too. Minstrel in the Gallery is fantastic. I'm still warming up to Too Old to Rock and Roll and War Child. Broadsword has some great stuff, and even A has a couple of great tunes. I tried to keep my interest in their later career, but they just didn't seem to have the old magic any more.

Am I missing something, or is A Passion Play only available on CD now as a double disc and double DVD set for nigh on $40? I'm interested in getting it, but I just wanted to start with the standard, original album.

If you just want the cd by its available but the sound on those remasters stinks imo. But it is available. If you love the album or just really like it the double cd/dvd is the one to get. And of course you get the Chateau DIsaster tapes which are maybe superior to he Passion Play.
  • Like 2

If you just want the cd by its available but the sound on those remasters stinks imo. But it is available. If you love the album or just really like it the double cd/dvd is the one to get. And of course you get the Chateau DIsaster tapes which are maybe superior to he Passion Play.

Are they? I thought I had read that the band was not happy with those Herouville session at all. But I guess that doesn't mean that a fan wouldn't.

I have never heard the album, which is why I wanted just the basic album, to start. But if the whole big set is recommended, then I'll just save for it. Thanks!

Are they? I thought I had read that the band was not happy with those Herouville session at all. But I guess that doesn't mean that a fan wouldn't.

I have never heard the album, which is why I wanted just the basic album, to start. But if the whole big set is recommended, then I'll just save for it. Thanks!

Oh man. The Chateau tapes are great. Theres no real story there is a concept but its not the typical concept album as we know it. Audition/No Rehearsal is raging!! I can see why hey ditched the sessions aparently the conditions were miserable.

I'd save yourself the $$$ and get the basic CD. IMO A Passion Play is one of the weaker moments of their main prog phase (71-75; from Aqualung to Minstrel In The Gallery). It's a fine album, but I think trying the one album/one song concept right after Thick As A Brick was maybe more than the band could pull off. It kind of meanders at points, and doesn't have the cohesion of TAAB. With TAAB I can listen to the whole piece without noticing how long it is, but with APP I'm often checking to see how much is left. I can see why they went back to shorter songs on War Child.

I'd save yourself the $$$ and get the basic CD. IMO A Passion Play is one of the weaker moments of their main prog phase (71-75; from Aqualung to Minstrel In The Gallery). It's a fine album, but I think trying the one album/one song concept right after Thick As A Brick was maybe more than the band could pull off. It kind of meanders at points, and doesn't have the cohesion of TAAB. With TAAB I can listen to the whole piece without noticing how long it is, but with APP I'm often checking to see how much is left. I can see why they went back to shorter songs on War Child.

Thanks for the advice (which, I admit, I didn't see until just now)... :)

I was coming back to post in here that I just picked up Aqualung (which I have owned before), A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, and Songs from the Wood- $21 for the lot. I'm pretty stoked!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

I was coming back to post in here that I just picked up Aqualung (which I have owned before), A Passion Play, Minstrel in the Gallery, Too Old to Rock and Roll, and Songs from the Wood- $21 for the lot. I'm pretty stoked!

Blue J,you've struck gold with that lot.Minstrel and Songs are excellent,the other two are just good! ENJOY!

• Like 2

Blue J,you've struck gold with that lot.Minstrel and Songs are excellent,the other two are just good! ENJOY!

Thanks!

I've just listened to A Passion Play for the first time, and I like it quite well! The first half in particular, a bit more than the second.

• Like 2