The closest Rush ever got to 1980s Hi-NRG dance music...

fraroc

Now, many people, including myself refer to the synthesizer period of Rush as "as the New Wave period" But it seems that people's interpretation of the "New Wave" moniker differs. For some, Duran Duran, Wham!, and Tears For Fears were considered "New Wave", others consider Hi-NRG music like The Sisters Of Mercy and Dead Or Alive to be "New Wave"

Now, what do you think is the closest that Rush ever got to stuff like Dead Or Alive or other of those 1980s dance groups? I'd say that some of the stuff on Signals has some influence of that stuff. Namely, The Weapon (Part II of Fear), Countdown, and New World Man.

Apparently I didn't understand the question.. Or I won't let me brain go there lol.

Hey what's HI-NRG?

Oh high energy.. :/

Edited by MMCXII

Disco died for a reason. I hate to think my boys Rush tried to carry it into the 80's :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAvd5x0KpU8

If you look past the horrifying hair, this is actually a really good song.....This is a pretty good example of Hi-NRG 80s dance music...

Listening to this, I think that Countdown, New World Man, and The Weapon are the three Rush songs that I feel have that sort of residual Hi-NRG feel.

Scars I feel would actually benefit and sound better with more synths.

Scars would benefit by being taken off the album. That beat is right out of the disco era. I can see why some people might like it, but it's very anti-Rush, IMO.

I listen to a lot of The Talking Heads and I always thought they were kind of new wave. Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears join that company as well. I don't really think Rush ever fit into that category of music. Some of their lighter sounds and electronic drums may have come close but not quite. Edited by Snyder80

I listen to a lot of The Talking Heads and I always thought they were kind of new wave. Flock of Seagulls, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears join that company as well. I don't really think Rush ever fit into that category of music. Some of their lighter sounds and electronic drums may have come close but not quite.

P/G is very new wave influenced, especially if you throw ska-revival in with that wave.

Geddy, on one of the bootlegs I have, introduced Territories once as their "dancing song." I would add Scars as well. You could probably dance somewhat to The Weapon too, especially during that phenomenal synth/drums/guitar solo with its equally phenomenal climax.

Geddy, on one of the bootlegs I have, introduced Territories once as their "dancing song." I would add Scars as well. You could probably dance somewhat to The Weapon too, especially during that phenomenal synth/drums/guitar solo with its equally phenomenal climax.

I would imagine that dancing to The Weapon would be like having a tic during a tornado.

I would imagine that dancing to The Weapon would be like having a tic during a tornado.

Well, it wouldn't really be dancing dancing - just kind of getting whirled around on the dance floor by someone. I can see it. :cool: :)

Well, it wouldn't really be dancing dancing - just kind of getting whirled around on the dance floor by someone. I can see it. :cool: :)

Alex in his red shoes? :)

I had a dream about him last night. The first time in a long time I've had a Rush dream that I actually remember.

I had a dream about him last night. The first time in a long time I've had a Rush dream that I actually remember.

Hopefully it was a good one. :)

I find it interesting how when they did this song live, Geddy doesn't play bass. Like with Red Sector A and Afterimage, he just plays the keyboard. It's really weird because Scars is so bass heavy and has little very little keys on it.