OPETH, IN FLAMES, RED FANG! Who's Going? Who Has Gone?

RUSHHEAD666

I bought a ticket last night! Front row in the balcony at The Warfield!

I absolutely love Opeth. I can handle the Cookie Monster vocals but I am so happy that the band has gone in a more progressive rock ambient chill pathway to the stars.

I've tried to get into In Flames. I can't.

I bought the new Red Fang with the 3D cover. I was intrigued. Yet musically was totally unimpressed.

I'm an Opeth virgin.

I have tried to see them over the last three albums and I have failed.

One time I had my ticket on the floor. It was fuckking incredible. It was the Opeth. Mastodon Ghost tour I think?

Anyway I had the flu and fuckking missed it.

So here we go again. Opeth releases another album like Heritage. No growl vocal. Fuckking love it.

Ironically I think "Blackwater Park" is EPIC. Produced by Steven Wilson right? I think Steven even plays and sings on it.

Anyway I'm just an rambling idiot. I saw Steve Hackett tonight at The Warfield and now Opeth will be playing The Warfield tonight.

I've never done back to back nights at the same venue ever!!

Where the hell is Sullysue?

She loves Opeth!

I'm sure there is an Official Opeth Thread on here but I didn't bother to look it up. Sorry.

I own every Opeth album, but I absolutely love the direction the band has taken.

You can take that growl shit and shove it right up the devil's arse.

I'm a hypocritical heavy metalist.

I'm an older dude who prefers "Morningside" by Neil Diamond. "Morningside" by Opeth is well heavy fuckking shit.

It's amazing how much Opeth has evolved. I am sure some of you think that the band has digressed.

Perhaps turned into a pulsating peach pussy prog band.

It is what it is.

The less growl the better.

Ciao

• Like 2

I need to check out Opeth's new album. I saw them on the Heritage tour, but really didn't like their new direction. Sadly I feel that the new one will be more of the same.

I thought the new record was a bit more focused than Heritage,more structured. Heritage bored me. Pale Communion can keep my attention and half the songs are very good, but I still prefer Steven Wilson's solo stuff.

• Like 2

I need to check out Opeth's new album. I saw them on the Heritage tour, but really didn't like their new direction. Sadly I feel that the new one will be more of the same.

I thought the new record was a bit more focused than Heritage,more structured. Heritage bored me. Pale Communion can keep my attention and half the songs are very good, but I still prefer Steven Wilson's solo stuff.

Seconded.

I am fairly new to Opeth, but I have Pale Communion and love it. It might be my age but I don't really get the death growl stuff. so I'm planning on working backwards through their catalogue until I get to a point where it gets too heavy for me. Recently I've also been getting into a Polish Progressive Metal Band called Riverside who are well worth a listen.

I own Blackwater Park, Damnation, Deliverance and Lamentations. I got them in a bundle for $20. Still haven't give them a proper listen too. Might try after I finish listening to Permanent Waves.

$20 is a pretty good deal to get those three albums plus the concert DVD. If growling isn't your kind of thing yet, you'll have an easy time listening to Damnation as it's the most mellowest album and it's all sung in clean vocals.

I checked out the setlist, and while it's unfortunate that it's only 7 songs they're playing, it's all songs I haven't heard live yet sans the new songs of course which I'm really stoked about. Definitely looking forward to hearing the song from Damnation that's on the setlist which I won't name here.

enjoy the show! red fang is fun stoner rock stuff, simple and rockin. in flames probably sucks dicks live, they haven't put out anything decent in 15 years

opeth is sweet, of course, growls or no growls.

I know Red Fang is playing Copenhell in 2015, and I think Opeth is playing too. Oh, and Gojira too. It's a 3 day festival with only heavy metal music in Copenhagen so I'm thrilled. Will be the first festival in about 10 years or more for me.

enjoy the show! red fang is fun stoner rock stuff, simple and rockin. in flames probably sucks dicks live, they haven't put out anything decent in 15 years

opeth is sweet, of course, growls or no growls.

Holy Shit! I found out that Opeth hit the stage at 9:30. I didn't go into the venue until 9:15. The few minutes of In Flames that I heard were mere shit and a waste of hearing. Stupid strobe light and some dumb singer yelling and screaming. IN LAME is by far one of the worst bands in the world.

I was very lucky to score a front row balcony seat. I was in Heaven for about 87 minutes of pure OPETH bliss!

While I was pissed off about the set list being only seven songs the music selection was solid. I know everyone in the Opeth World hates "Heritage" but I was hoping for "The Devil's Orchard." "Heritage" is a masterpiece! Hell they could have played the entire "Pale Communion" album all the way through!

I wanted more "Watershed" too. I mean fukk, I guess I will have to fly to Sweden to see a full fuckking set list. Americans just don't get it. Why the fuckk does Opeth need two openers? Stupid!

My God, why isn't the song "Burden" in their set list every night? Brilliant beautiful song. Even Mikael made fun of the "Damnation" album for being labeled a failure by fans. I love the record. It seems all the old school fans just want the growl stuff so they can headbang and smash some skulls down in the pit. I love all Opeth. This is the only band where I can handle the growl.

One highlight for was when Mikael started playing "I Remember You" on his guitar. He's all, "I am sure you all have heard of the band Skid Row." He then told a story about him and Sebastian Bach hanging out!

Now as many of you know I'm a big Eighties dare I use the word "HAIR" metalist. I love Skid Row! I yelled out "SLAVE TO THE GRIND!"

Anyway, I wanted more Opeth. Even Mikael said, "This is our last song of the night, now please don't shoot the messenger."

Go punch in Opeth set list and see the Sweden set. It's amazing.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to pop my Opeth cherry last night.

I will be sure to see them every time the come to the Bay Area!

OPETH RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Yeah I agree. I'm seeing Opeth live on the 18th and while I do like the kind of music Red Fang plays, I'm really going to f***ing dread sitting through In Flames' set. Whereas Animals As Leaders surprised me by how much I ended up enjoying their set to the point of me moshing to their encore when I saw them co-headline with Devin Townsend, I can expect In Flames surprising me by how the f**k they even made it onto the f***ing bill. Katatonia or even Alcest (who opened for Opeth on the European leg) would've made/been a better band to fill In Flames' spot in the bill.

Glad you had fun, Earl! I saw Opeth live for the first time in 2003 and it's still one of the best concerts of my life. Following experiences were less fulfilling. I don't know if I'd go and see them now, after losing Lindgren and Lopez they've lost so much of their sound, IMHO. I don't like much Heritage because it's full of rambling, Pale Communion is better but somehow I find myself not listening to it much.

Yeah I agree. I'm seeing Opeth live on the 18th and while I do like the kind of music Red Fang plays, I'm really going to f***ing dread sitting through In Flames' set. Whereas Animals As Leaders surprised me by how much I ended up enjoying their set to the point of me moshing to their encore when I saw them co-headline with Devin Townsend, I can expect In Flames surprising me by how the f**k they even made it onto the f***ing bill. Katatonia or even Alcest (who opened for Opeth on the European leg) would've made/been a better band to fill In Flames' spot in the bill.

Hahahaha!! No shit! Damn I wish it was just Red Fang and Opeth! I wanted 12 songs dammit! Not 7!! Oh well beggars can't be choosers.

Like I think I already said, I will be seeing Opeth every time they hit the Bay Area!

Enjoy the show! Go grab a beer or two and hang in the lobby during IN BLAMES! DON'T WASTE YOUR HEARING ON THAT SHIT!

Glad you had fun, Earl! I saw Opeth live for the first time in 2003 and it's still one of the best concerts of my life. Following experiences were less fulfilling. I don't know if I'd go and see them now, after losing Lindgren and Lopez they've lost so much of their sound, IMHO. I don't like much Heritage because it's full of rambling, Pale Communion is better but somehow I find myself not listening to it much.

Hello my friend! I was an Opeth late bloomer, so I really wasn't an "Orchid." LOL

I love ALL OPETH.

In the beginning I would just tune the cookie monster crap out and focus on the actual music.

Over time I learned to get over my cookie monster hang up although Opeth is the only band on the earth with the growl that I can handle.

As a progressive pussy I really loved the direction of the band. I love "Damnation" but like I said even Mikael was insecure about it when they played "Windowpane." I love the non growl albums yet the heavier shit is amazing too. Sonically and musically.

No matter how evil Opeth sounds they are so frigging melodic to me. I love the instrumentation of the band.

"Heritage" seems to get more shit than "Damnation." I think both albums are FIVE STARS.

"Pale Communion" is a masterpiece.

Personally I am glad Mikael cut out the growling shit.

Ironically I think that "Watershed" is their absolute pinnacle. Zenith. A GEM!

Their version of "Bridge Of Sighs" is excellent. Robin Trower baby!

Also the do "Solider Of Fortune!" EPIC!

OPETH is easily in my TOP 15!

2003? So you saw the "Deliverance" Tour right? I need to listen to that album more.

"Blackwater Park" is another masterpiece.

Endless.

• Like 1

2003? So you saw the "Deliverance" Tour right? I need to listen to that album more.

Endless.

Actually it was the Blackwater Park tour. Maybe it was 2001 or 2002, I might mix up the dates. That summer I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Switzerland, it was constantly raining, so I went to the grocery store and bought something to read... "Metal Hammer"! And there was a small feature on Opeth, they weren't big at the time, it was just a very short article, but it caught my interest so when I got home I bought Blackwater Park... Fan for life!

I remember that show for the great musicality and the fact that the band and the audience seemed to be together on another planet.

I also saw the Deliverance tour but Mikael seemed less sincere in his talking, more like a working man routine. Also, they didn't play good that night. They had another awesome band, Madder Mortem, opening for them and they were great.

I don't remember Damnation taking so much flack at the time, not the way Heritage did. The difference between the two is that the songwriting on Damnation is top notch, on Heritage is unfocused at best.

Endless.

Actually it was the Blackwater Park tour. Maybe it was 2001 or 2002, I might mix up the dates. That summer I was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Switzerland, it was constantly raining, so I went to the grocery store and bought something to read... "Metal Hammer"! And there was a small feature on Opeth, they weren't big at the time, it was just a very short article, but it caught my interest so when I got home I bought Blackwater Park... Fan for life!

I remember that show for the great musicality and the fact that the band and the audience seemed to be together on another planet.

I also saw the Deliverance tour but Mikael seemed less sincere in his talking, more like a working man routine. Also, they didn't play good that night. They had another awesome band, Madder Mortem, opening for them and they were great.

I don't remember Damnation taking so much flack at the time, not the way Heritage did. The difference between the two is that the songwriting on Damnation is top notch, on Heritage is unfocused at best.

You are too funny my friend. I think you are right about Mikael. He seemed like a working man routine at The Warfield. But the Skid Row stuff was quite entertaining and random. I watched "The Roadhouse Tapes" dvd last night. It's fuckking great but again Mikael seems routine and full of himself.

I heard he fired all of the original members because he wanted to take over total control of the band.

There is a new band called SOEN. They have an album out featuring the last OPETH drummer. It's very TOOL and very OPETH.

Check them out!