Sebadoh covers "Limelight"

H. P. L.

Now who is Sebadoh, you might ask?

Beats me, so let's Consequence of Sound speak:

Sebadoh and Rush exist on near-polar opposite ends of the musical spectrum. The former is the unsung hero of nerd-friendly indie rock, purveyor of all things grimy and lo-fi. The latter represents rock’s pinnacle of indulgence, the bona fide lord of intricate prog majesty. Yet for one, brief fleeting moment, these two disparate elements came together as Sebadoh undertook a mighty Rush cover for its appearance on A.V. Undercover.

So, why did Lou Barlow and co. decide upon 1981’s

? The “Rush Phenomenon”, in which, by some twist of fate, “the world’s three best musicians ended up in one band.”

The cover is.. uh... interesting to say the least...

Seems I can't post it here, so here it goes: http://consequenceof...imelight-watch/

Edited by H. P. L.

Loved it. Here it is from the source:

http://www.avclub.co...ers-rush-211953

Some other cool covers; impressed with personal fave "In a Big Country"; studio audience provided a collective "Cha!"

This very respectable Canadian cover of a punk standard has a reference to Rush in the beginning, and then a musical tribute at the end ("YYZ" I think)...

http://www.avclub.co...uzzcocks-206580

Edited by Rutlefan

I like it! I give them a A for effort and a B- overall because I think the vocal effect became very annoying, very fast.

You should give them an A for the annoying vocals. It's a Rush song.. ;)

• Like 1

I kinda gave them an A before they even started playing based on their reason for picking the song! Lol

Seriously though, as for the song, all I can say is it is interesting! I don't see too many Rush covers on YouTube where even I could do a better job on the drums but good for them anyway!

And Rush is the young female interviewer's favorite band. Didn't see that coming..

I like it! I give them a A for effort and a B- overall because I think the vocal effect became very annoying, very fast.

You should give them an A for the annoying vocals. It's a Rush song.. ;)

Honestly, Geddy's vocals never, at any time, bothered or annoyed me.

• Like 1

Anyone think the young girl was mega cute?

I will put on my best smoulder and woo her with me perdy cupcakes, lolsies!

• Like 2

What a cad. :cool:

Just for the record: that is the total opposite of me.

I am more likely to talk silly, and nervously burp in her face. Or talk like the singing in this video.

• Like 2

I am more likely to talk silly, and nervously burp in her face. Or talk like the singing in this video.

I'd work on the burping in the face first. :eh: ;)

• Like 2

Opposite ends of the spectrum? Meaning a band no one's heard of as opposed to....

Plenty of people have heard of Rush; what are you talking about?

Opposite ends of the spectrum? Meaning a band no one's heard of as opposed to....

I'm referring to this band Sebadoh...I should've said "compared" to instead of "opposed" to...

That's the real difference between these two bands.

I'd work on the burping in the face first. :eh: ;)

So shall I burp longer or louder?

What about both?

I'm referring to this band Sebadoh...I should've said "compared" to instead of "opposed" to...

"I'm referring to this band Sebadoh" -- yeah, I figured :P. Many regular people know Sebadoh you know; they were a hallmark band in the '90s; maybe not so well-known among sullen computer geeks apparently. Hard to say I suppose. In any event, when Rush was making the krappiest albums in North America in the '90s, Sebadoh was a very "in" band.

Edited by Rutlefan

Many regular people know Sebadoh, though maybe they are not well-known among sullen computer geeks. Hard to say I suppose. In any event, when Rush was making the krappiest albums in North America in the '90s, Sebadoh was a very "in" band.

What's "regular" people? I assume you mean boring, banal, uninteresting, run-of-the-mill, and/or people who suck.

Or people who are U2 fans.

• Like 1

Many regular people know Sebadoh, though maybe they are not well-known among sullen computer geeks. Hard to say I suppose. In any event, when Rush was making the krappiest albums in North America in the '90s, Sebadoh was a very "in" band.

What's "regular" people? I assume you mean boring, banal, uninteresting, run-of-the-mill, and/or people who suck.

I mean people who don't live through World of Warcraft avatars, mainly.

I mean people who don't live through World of Warcraft avatars, mainly.

World of Warcraft wasn't around in the 90's...

Ah, you would know I suppose. Btw, there's that "Best 25 Metal Bands Ever" thread going on and Rush isn't mentioned once. Why aren't you in there to point out the error of everyone's ways?