Have You Ever Been Ashamed Of Geddy Lee's vocals?

Tony R

My mean Cynical side is gonna have WAAAY to much fun here.

This song is the perfect example of that yelp,/yodel i talk about going into notes and phrases that's so distracting to me. Note it on forever dwells in that moment.

Ok.....ok.....i'm done.......i swear it, lol

Mick

That's his voice breaking. It's like what happens to young boys when their voices change. Maybe he's going through another puberty? :LOL:

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsBNzf5JlZA

This song is the perfect example of that yelp,/yodel i talk about going into notes and phrases that's so distracting to me. Note it on forever dwells in that moment.

Mick

That's his voice breaking. It's like what happens to young boys when their voices change. Maybe he's going through another puberty? :LOL:

I mean i feel bad for bringing it up. i'm not evil lol......but god does it bug me. And i'm into THEATER.......so Technique young Lee..........TECHNIQUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Mick

this sux.

will avoid wasting my money!

• Like 1

Does the phrase "it sounds like a woman" mean anything to you?

ive had it said to me. but i dont hear the femininity.

Mick

Geez...those edits are way too quick...please slow it down so my feeble brain can keep up with what's going on... :eyeroll:

Edited by savagegrace26

Mick

Geez...those edits are way too quick...please slow it down so my feeble brain can keep up with what's going on... :eyeroll:

It's my main gripe with the CA DVD. there's no need fo those kinds of edits.......EVER, lol. I swear i don't if rush has anything to do with hiring for DVD's. but if they do they hire the WORST people.

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

It's my main gripe with the CA DVD. there's no need fo those kinds of edits.......EVER, lol. I swear i don't if rush has anything to do with hiring for DVD's. but if they do they hire the WORST people.

Mick

Uh...I was being sarcastic (hence the emoticon)....the editing in that clip is fine...seriously. That's too fast for you?

Edited by savagegrace26

Mick

:cheerleader: Keep it going Mick. This could be the best entertainment I get for today. Some sh*t games on today and the Pigskins have a bye..... :madra: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Uh...I was being sarcastic (hence the emoticon)....the editing in that clip is fine...seriously. That's too fast for you?

Then actually you should listen to your sarcasm cause i hate the way that whole DVD is edited......with a passion, lol

Mick

Mick

Mick

Then actually you should listen to your sarcasm cause i hate the way that whole DVD is edited......with a passion, lol

Mick

Well it's a slower song so they slowed the pace of the editing accordingly. Maybe you should watch what specific video clip is being addressed.

Mick

Mick

Mick

Well it's a slower song so they slowed the pace of the editing accordingly. Maybe you should watch what specific video clip is being addressed.

I did.......not slow enough.

Mick

Here's a partial vocal analysis I found online:

What Tom Jones, David Clayton Thomas and Gary Puckett tried NOT to sound like. Geddy Lee may be a combination of Feminine Strainer and Feminine High-Pitch (and we all know he's Jewish, not exactly White European, but fun to analyze here.) He strains absurdly high, and there is some burnout there, too. It's likely how Yes' Jon Anderson would sound if Anderson had to sing in a more aggressive rock style and asked to sing a bit higher still. Geddy has a whining sneer-tone that, I am certain, comes from nothing but an absurd degree of forcing the voice high. There is absolutely no tone left for him up there and the voice is a tiny frequency fragment of human. He's very close to simply barking like a Pomeranian. But perhaps a hyper-weird voice serves him and his band "Rush" with their sci-fi atmospherics. It's a very unpleasant sound. It also serves a purpose in rock: To simply cut through the noise a bit. Being creatively charitable: Have ever heard Oglala Sioux men chanting in a drum circle, and their eerie, high-pitched vocals? Maybe Geddy Lee, because of all his sublime thoughts, has somehow penetrated some mystic cloud and shaken hands with the Cosmic Witch Yodler of the Yellow Plains of Drogen. I suppose he'd like that possibility better than my saying his sound represents a total abandonment of any pretense of having a man's voice. What weird vocals for young men, trying to come into a sense of manhood, to listen to. And how does it feel when they attempt to sing like their hero? Is that good? I have to say I laugh when I hear Geddy Lee. Love that Rickenbacher bass, though.

Discuss.

Not completely wrong. I like the comparison to the wailings of Native Americans. There's a Middle eastern queslity to it, as well. Not everyone's cup of tea, but beautiful to those that can appreciate it.

Starting a critique of RUSH with a Tom Jones reference? Talk about stumbling out of the block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBdSqk78nHw

(I take it back. Listen to Tom's Whoah Whoah Whoah... Pure late-era Geddy!)

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

Eh

I just sent this email to Rush:

Dear boys,

Older fans can't handle the fast kinetic editing of your recent video release so please address this issue on your next live concert release. Yes yes I know A Show of Hands was way worse with the fast editing bulshit but no one complained because the fanbase was generally younger back in the late '80's but now they are older and their brains respond slower and can't process what's going on. You see, you have to SLOW things down for your average fans brain-processing capacity at this point in time. So please cater your editors aesthetic choices for the current brain power of your primary audience because I'm really tired of reading all of the bitching and complaining.

ROCK ON!

Sincerely,

some forum troll

Edited by savagegrace26

No, of course not. But the way his voice sounds now is the main reason why I don't think they should play any songs before MP or PeW, except for La Villa Strangiato. I was watching the CA tour dvd last night and I noticed during 2112 Geddy doesn't really sound like he's trying to articulate his words while singing. They still put on a good show, but his voice has just changed so drastically. And I actually like when his voice was really high-pitched in the 70s and early 80s.
  • Like 1

No, of course not. But the way his voice sounds now is the main reason why I don't think they should play any songs before MP or PeW, except for La Villa Strangiato. I was watching the CA tour dvd last night and I noticed during 2112 Geddy doesn't really sound like he's trying to articulate his words while singing. They still put on a good show, but his voice has just changed so drastically. And I actually like when his voice was really high-pitched in the 70s and early 80s.

:yes: ..... Twas awesome indeed
  • Like 1

Whats the problem?.... :)

Other then ged barely reaching notes. and singing like he forgot how to make his lips form words......nothing it's a master class. :laughing guy:

Mick

:laughing guy: ....

What's with the dirge tempo??? :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Other then ged barely reaching notes. and singing like he forgot how to make his lips form words......nothing it's a master class. :laughing guy:

Mick

Truth is when I took my family to this show I was counting the minutes until this song came (and Halo Effect) because its so beautiful and the accompanying video background so cool. I just knew they would enjoy this one. Then the singing. Not good keeping it real.... :(

Mick

Truth is when I took my family to this show I was counting the minutes until this song came (and Halo Effect) because its so beautiful and the accompanying video background so cool. I just knew they would enjoy this one. Then the singing. Not good keeping it real.... :(

I think people can excuse it a bit in a live setting because of the excitement of the concert. Plus everything is so loud and everyone is half deaf by the time the concert is over. :LOL:

• Like 1

Mick

You took them to see the Time Machine Tour also? Wow. You really like torturing them huh? :)

Mick

I think people can excuse it a bit in a live setting because of the excitement of the concert. Plus everything is so loud and everyone is half deaf by the time the concert is over. :LOL:

Absolutely. The vocals are such a blur at a live show and the adrenaline is flowing but the recorded ones not so much. They count and you can actually hear them clearly....

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

I would agree. The background animation they had going on was awesome. It would have been perfect if they'd just had a full stage shot for most of the song.

Mick

You took them to see the Time Machine Tour also? Wow. You really like torturing them huh? :)

I never posted that and no I didn't. :) If I had I am sure they would have enjoyed it more however due to the Moving Pictures portion of the show at least. The music would at least be somewhat familiar......
  • Like 1