26 members have voted

1. 1. Choose ze album!

• And Then There Were Three
    • Duke
    • Abacab
    • Genesis (1983)
    • Invisible Touch
    • We Can't Dance

Is Abacab the best album of those listed in this poll? But I voted for it anyway because I enjoy it the most. Nix "Who Dunnit?" and replace it with either "Paperlate" or "You Might Recall" and I think you have a near-perfect "Prog Pop" albums.

I always perferred the Collins-Genesis to the Gabriel-Genesis. I find it so much more enjoyable.

I agree. And their videos were always great. :)

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

someone's got reservations at dorsia tonight!

for me, gabriel era smokes collins in every way - creativity, vocals, showmanship, musicianship... a trick of the tail and wind & wuthering are pretty great, though.

and gabriel's solo career is obviously the clear winner, followed closely by steve hackett's solo stuff. hackett's voyage of the acolyte is better than any genesis album since.

there are great songs during the pop era, but most of it sounds like disney music to me.

• Like 1

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock.

I'm sorry but I didn't ask for a script excerpt from American Psycho ;)

Tight between ATTWT and Genesis.

ATTWT has Buring Rope and Snowbound and Genesis has Home by the sea/2nd.

But then again Genesis has also embarrassing crap like Illegal Alien.

I chose ATTWT but it was tight.

PS: Invisible Touch isn't all that bad. It's just the 80's production that ruins the album... the songs are pretty good.

Guys, Show a little love for Abacab ;(

abacab is like duke lite. and it don't get much lighter than duke...

Duke is like Wind & Wuthering 2.0, and a very bad one at that!

not at all

and what's wrong with w&w? it's better than every album since! :D

• Like 1

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1/cover_11462112008.JPG

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

meh

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/Duke_Genesisalbum.jpg/220px-Duke_Genesisalbum.jpg

:) (I still prefer everything from Trespass to either ATOTT (or W&W depending on the mood) to this :))

Edited by len(songs)

#3 Duke is a classic and the suite is amazing, but the album really sags in the middle (see Please dont ask, Alone Again).

#2 And then there were three is very underrated.. nice dark mood and some great progressive elements. Love it, esp Lady Lies.

#1 Genesis: IMO the perfect blend of pop and in a sense, prog for them. Top to bottom great (Illegal alien is a goofy tune but its fine). Too bad they went too far after this one.

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 2

You know everybody's got their opinions. If we all liked the same things it would be really boring. :)

you're wrong.

The world is so black-and-white when you're young. :LOL:

• Like 1

If you'd asked about my favorite trio album, I would probably choose Duke.

But their best album is probably Invisible Touch.

Now personally, I never need to hear the title track or Anything She Does ever again, but on the plus side:

1. the title track was HUGE

2. Land of Confusion was HUGE and has a great video.

3. Throwing it All Away was HUGE

4. In Too Deep is very lovely (keyboard solo is gorgeous)

5. The Brazilian is a solid instrumental

6. Tonight Tonight Tonight is dark and proggy

7. Domino is awesome and very proggy

Invisible Touch wasn't the fans' most-loved by any stretch, but it was their most successful and broad-reaching effort.