Best use of Melody in a Rush song

savagegrace26

Half the world hates

What half the world does every day

Not very many notes in that one . . .

I'm probably in the minority, but I love the melodies in Half the World...

I do too. It's very catchy.

Draw another goblet

From the cask of 43

That part of Fountain is EXTREMELY catchy.

Mick

True indeed, but 'Return of the Prince' from the same album is, IMO, the most melodic piece of music (and the best melody) that Rush has ever recorded. Especially the guitar solo. Listen to it once and the tune is still in my a week later (not that that's a bad thing)!

Half the world hates

The only thing I remember about HTW, musically, is that it's in 3/4.

:eh:

I never was good at fractions

Oh, it isn't? Never mind then. Must be thinking of something else entirely... or it's hat it's not remotely memorable ;)

it's in straight four. :) The main rhythm (those three prominent chords that play at the beginning and throughout the whole song) is made up of dotted notes. You probably remembered the three dotted notes as a triplet meter.

On the topic of subjective melodies, Beethoven was famous for melodies which, if you were to dissect them, were actually stupidly simple. For instance, the fifth symphony, the sequence EVERYONE knows, think of how ridiculously uncomplicated that is. Three repetitions of the same note, then drop down and hold; repeat.

Then there's Beethoven's 7th. The wikipedia description says it all - "the movement transitions to Vivace through a series of no fewer than sixty-one repetitions of the note E." Then there's the 2nd movement, the melody of which is composed primarily of a single note. And yet, the 7th symphony was universally lauded as one of humanity's most amazing artistic achievements; and deservedly so. It's truly amazing what you can express with merely the repetition of one note, you barely even realize it's actually that simple.

There's more to the definition of a "melody" than can be captured by words.

• Like 1

Half the world hates

Oh, it isn't? Never mind then. Must be thinking of something else entirely... or it's hat it's not remotely memorable ;)

it's in straight four. :) The main rhythm (those three prominent chords that play at the beginning and throughout the whole song) is made up of dotted notes. You probably remembered the three dotted notes as a triplet meter.

On the topic of subjective melodies, Beethoven was famous for melodies which, if you were to dissect them, were actually stupidly simple. For instance, the fifth symphony, the sequence EVERYONE knows, think of how ridiculously uncomplicated that is. Three repetitions of the same note, then drop down and hold; repeat.

Then there's Beethoven's 7th. The wikipedia description says it all - "the movement transitions to Vivace through a series of no fewer than sixty-one repetitions of the note E." Then there's the 2nd movement, the melody of which is composed primarily of a single note. And yet, the 7th symphony was universally lauded as one of humanity's most amazing artistic achievements; and deservedly so. It's truly amazing what you can express with merely the repetition of one note, you barely even realize it's actually that simple.

There's more to the definition of a "melody" than can be captured by words.

The 7th symphony is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. I'm glad I'm simple.

Half the world hates

It's memorable. Then again so is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YY0xw5r1ro

Speed Of Love is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Haters gonna hate hate hate. But I shake it off! (Dunno why I am dragging Taylor Swift into this).

• Like 2

Mission is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Haters gonna hate hate hate. But I shake it off! (Dunno why I am dragging Taylor Swift into this).

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Indeed. Especially when you actually put a beautiful song in there.

Tai Shan is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

I love Tai Shan. I agree!

• Like 1

Dog Years is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

Different Strings is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

It seems that there is a noticeable dichotomy in how the two of us have been posting.

Edited by len(songs)

Rivendell is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

It seems that there is a noticeable dichotomy in how the two of us have been posting.

Beauty is in the ear of the listener.

Middletown Dreams is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

Indeed it is... but if Dog Years and Neurotica qualify, then the listener has a problem.

Jacob's Ladder is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

Indeed it is... but if Dog Years and Neurotica qualify, then the listener has a problem.

A thousand pardons. I was late in catching onto the game. Even Dog Years and Neurotica have their fans.

Losing It is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

A thousand pardons. I was late in catching onto the game. Even Dog Years and Neurotica have their fans.

LedRush for instance... :facepalm:

Losing It is one of the most beautiful Rush songs.

Fixed

Ooh, this is fun!

Yes, it is.

Yes. Beauty is key.

LedRush for instance... :facepalm:

Really? And he hates objectively good songs like Middletown Dreams and Territories?

That reminds me of something else I read in the book for all of you Mission lovers here. Apparently, there is another version of that song being safely kept in a vault somewhere that is longer than the one on the album. They plan to release it one day in some special Rush over-priced package. Maybe they did already. I do not know. Edited by Lorraine