What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

The problem with this thread is that the exact definition wasn't specified in the OP. As far as I'm concerned music belongs to the artist that created it, not to the consumers who listen to it. Just like the rights to a novel belong to the author or a painting to an artist even though they might sell it or have prints made later.

The problem with this thread is that the exact definition wasn't specified in the OP. As far as I'm concerned music belongs to the artist that created it, not to the consumers who listen to it. Just like the rights to a novel belong to the author or a painting to an artist even though they might sell it or have prints made later.

It's all my fault then? fists%20crying.gif

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Thread title sets it up just fine, I think.

It's the same style of music as Moving Pictures, an album created in the 80s for the 80s, so Permanent Waves is an 80s album. :D

It's the same style of music as Moving Pictures, an album created in the 80s for the 80s, so Permanent Waves is an 80s album. :D

It's half Hemispheres, half Moving Pictures if anything
  • Like 3

I think it is a half and half album. You would never hear a song like Jacob's Ladder from Rush ever again. That song belonged on AFTK or Hemispheres. Entre Nous and Different Strings sound more seventies than eighties. The other three are an introduction to the new Rush sound. In my opinion.

• Like 2

I think it is a half and half album. You would never hear a song like Jacob's Ladder from Rush ever again. That song belonged on AFTK or Hemispheres. Entre Nous and Different Strings sound more seventies than eighties. The other three are an introduction to the new Rush sound. In my opinion.

Well, I think Camera Eye is similar in style to Jacob's Ladder. It's a very visual piece. Both were meant to be. Neil was reading an author (John Dos Passos?) which inspired Camera Eye and I'm guess Jacob's Ladder.

I am listening to Power Windows for maybe the third time in my life (though there were probably several aborted attempts at a listen). Now THAT's an '80s album. No doubt at all about that.
  • Like 2

Thread title sets it up just fine, I think.

Belong in "how?" That's the problem.

My take away is that anyone can see it was released on the first day of 1980, making it an '80s release. If Rolling Stone or whoever ranked 1980 albums, that's where PeW would be ranked, not in 1979. This is obvious. So, what the original poster seems to be asking is, regardless of the release date, or when recorded, or whatever objective criteria you want to consider, in what decade stylistically does it really fit?

For me what is never clear when this question gets asked once every 4-6 months (not complaining) is whether the stylistic identity of the particular decade is defined by Rush's catalog or by what was going on in music in general. I've always used the latter approach, but even if you used the former, I still think PeW is a '70s album. It certainly fits more with their previous work than their latter, with the exception of MP.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

For me what is never clear when this question gets asked once every 4-6 months ...

This thread was started in October of 2014.

:)

Making it clearly a 2014 question. It really fits the general mood of the kinds of questions that were being asked during that year. Even though we are still enjoying the question in 2015 - and probably well into 2016 - it doesn't change the fact.

• Like 3

For me what is never clear when this question gets asked once every 4-6 months ...

:)

Making it clearly a 2014 question. It really fits the general mood of the kinds of questions that were being asked during that year. Even though we are still enjoying the question in 2015 - and probably well into 2016 - it doesn't change the fact.

Zombie threads keep going and going and going.... :P

• Like 1

:) Fair enough. It gets resurrected every 4-6 months then.