Which Album Would You Say Fans Underrate The Most?

Segue Myles

Most Underrated Album Amongst Fans?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. 2112-MP are exempt as they are generally regarded as indisputable masterpieces:

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

I have been reading through the thread trying to decide what album I wanted to vote for. I think they have quite a few underrated albums, though some are better than others.

I think the debut is underrated and under listened by a lot of people for the simple reason that Neil isn't on it. It has a very bluesy feel and is very different than what they did without John.

Test For Echo merits a lot of distain on here. I don't understand why. Maybe because it has Totem and Dog Years on it which brings it down in the eyes and ears of a lot of forum members. It gets my vote though I could go with any of these.

Vapor Trails never got a fair shake from the beginning due to the production. It still doesn't after the remix. I think some of the songs are good or had the potential to be really good. However I think all the emotional crap that was going on at the time really messed with their creative abilities.

Presto also suffers from production issues. It has some decent songs on it but seriously needs a remix by someone who could do it justice.

Hold Your Fire is a decent album but it has quite a few forgettable songs on it. It's their delve into 80s pop music. A lot of shimmery guitar chords ala The Police and synth loops make this one a time capsule :) that hasn't aged as well as their other albums.

And then there's Feedback. :LOL:

What is my problem that I don't hear this. :rage: It sound smooth as silk to me. I would say at least 8 of 11 (3 songs to many) of the songs are good to excellent. I just don't get it.... :huh:

I have been reading through the thread trying to decide what album I wanted to vote for. I think they have quite a few underrated albums, though some are better than others.

I think the debut is underrated and under listened by a lot of people for the simple reason that Neil isn't on it. It has a very bluesy feel and is very different than what they did without John.

Test For Echo merits a lot of distain on here. I don't understand why. Maybe because it has Totem and Dog Years on it which brings it down in the eyes and ears of a lot of forum members. It gets my vote though I could go with any of these.

Vapor Trails never got a fair shake from the beginning due to the production. It still doesn't after the remix. I think some of the songs are good or had the potential to be really good. However I think all the emotional crap that was going on at the time really messed with their creative abilities.

Presto also suffers from production issues. It has some decent songs on it but seriously needs a remix by someone who could do it justice.

Hold Your Fire is a decent album but it has quite a few forgettable songs on it. It's their delve into 80s pop music. A lot of shimmery guitar chords ala The Police and synth loops make this one a time capsule :) that hasn't aged as well as their other albums.

What is my problem that I don't hear this. :rage: It sound smooth as silk to me. I would say at least 8 of 11 (3 songs to many) of the songs are good to excellent. I just don't get it.... :huh:

I've actually grown to really appreciate te production of Presto. It allows you to crank it, and when it's cranked it actually rocks pretty hard at parts

I've actually grown to really appreciate te production of Presto. It allows you to crank it, and when it's cranked it actually rocks pretty hard at parts

This^^^^^^

Presto's production is fine. I adore Neil's drum sound on it and would take that production over what we've been fed recently.

Mick

Fine, but not great. I'd like more thickness and power, personally. Of course, more thickness doesn't mean the crowding of the more recent releases.

• Like 3

Presto's production is fine. I adore Neil's drum sound on it and would take that production over what we've been fed recently.

Mick

Fine, but not great. I'd like more thickness and power, personally. Of course, more thickness doesn't mean the crowding of the more recent releases.

I can agree with more thickness sure. However you want want wimpy production........they mastered that on RTB, lol. Big Time.

Mick

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire is an amazing album. I feel like every single song except for Tai Shan is amazing.

Agreed, but to put that into perspective, even Led Zep released "Hot Dog." ;)

• Like 1

About the "8" thing: That would have worked wonderfully for:

•HYF

•Presto

•CP

Some would have too many:

•RTB (6 would be fine)

•T4E (6 would be fine)

•S&A (7 is enough)

Some would have too few:

•VT (Only one clunker: ENDLESSLY ROCKAAAANG)

•CA (honestly it needs everything but BU2B2/WTW though HF-BU2B2-TG would be better than HF-TG)

Edited by len(songs)

Hold Your Fire is an amazing album. I feel like every single song except for Tai Shan is amazing.

Hot Dog is a fun and funny song. Now, if you said Carouselumbra, I'd have gotten on board with you.

• Like 1

Hot Dog is a fun and funny song. Now, if you said Carouselumbra, I'd have gotten on board with you.

Hahahaha......yeah, I agree Hot Dog is a "fun" song, but I'm not sure I agree that Carouselambra should take its place in this analogy. Hot Dog is the "which one of these doesn't belong with the other ones" song of In Through The Out Door, just as Tai Shan is that same song for Hold Your Fire. I can hear hints of In The Evening and even All Of My Love in Carouselambra. Also, Carouselambra has 3 movements, giving it more of an epic feel. Hot Dog is just a Zep country song, just like Tai Shan is some oddly-chosen Zamfir-sounding thing they threw in to make High Water seem better (and it does).

I LOVE TAI SHAN

• Like 2

Hahahaha......yeah, I agree Hot Dog is a "fun" song, but I'm not sure I agree that Carouselambra should take its place in this analogy. Hot Dog is the "which one of these doesn't belong with the other ones" song of In Through The Out Door, just as Tai Shan is that same song for Hold Your Fire. I can hear hints of In The Evening and even All Of My Love in Carouselambra. Also, Carouselambra has 3 movements, giving it more of an epic feel. Hot Dog is just a Zep country song, just like Tai Shan is some oddly-chosen Zamfir-sounding thing they threw in to make High Water seem better (and it does).

I was talking merely from each being a song I like. Carouselambra is the only Zep song I don't at least mostly like. Also, Zep has a knack of throwing on a song on every album which is just completely way out there...so Hot Dog almost fits with that in mind.

I was talking merely from each being a song I like. Carouselambra is the only Zep song I don't at least mostly like. Also, Zep has a knack of throwing on a song on every album which is just completely way out there...so Hot Dog almost fits with that in mind.

All good bro :)

I enjoy Carouselambra, though I think the best song on that album is I'm Gonna Crawl by a million miles. One of Plant's best vocal performances.

• Like 2

Even among fans, HYF is almost universally panged as the "that was their peak synth album, and we're glad that they 'went back to their old style' after that" album. There's just some brilliant stuff on there.

Your avatar is killer btw.... :cheers:

I knew it wouldn't take you long to getting around to commenting on the avatar. :LOL:

First album for sure. :rush:

• Like 1

You can't hear the difference in volume between it and their other albums? There's no bottom end. There's no fullness to the music to make it very simple. It sounds thin.

You can't hear the difference in volume between it and their other albums? There's no bottom end. There's no fullness to the music to make it very simple. It sounds thin.

I'll take your word for it. You would know better than I...

Except it is a terrible recording as far as volume goes. I love the album but the volume level sucks! JMO.

• Like 1

On Presto's production: I just went from "Hand Over Fist" to "Totem," and man, what the hell were they going for on the sound of the acoustic guitars? They sound dreadful on Presto, whereas on T4E, they actually sound like acoustic guitars.

Same with the drums. Presto's drum sound is crisp with zero depth. It just snaps. I can't stand it.

• Like 3

On Presto's production: I just went from "Hand Over Fist" to "Totem," and man, what the hell were they going for on the sound of the acoustic guitars? They sound dreadful on Presto, whereas on T4E, they actually sound like acoustic guitars.

Same with the drums. Presto's drum sound is crisp with zero depth. It just snaps. I can't stand it.

Hand Over Fist is a decent song... but the chorus... ugh. Probably the worst acoustic guitar sound on any Rush recording. Presto is a little better, but the acoustic still sounds thin and without depth.

Edited by len(songs)

Hand Over Fist is a decent song... but the chorus... ugh. Probably the worst acoustic guitar sound on any Rush recording. Presto is a little better, but the acoustic still sounds thin and without depth.

Again, I love Hand Over Fist