Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

YYZumbi

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hemispheres VS Clockwork Angels

You talk about Vocals. I thought CA was the first album in which they couldn't mask in the studio how much Ged is losing. Normally they'd been able to mask it......not here.

Mick

That's nuts, whatever though. Ged actually sings on CA, on Hemispheres he's not comfortable and they knew it

He may not have been comfortable, but he had a better range to push to the limits. Good grief, if he tried to do what he accomplished with Hems today...we would be either in hysterical stitches, or looking to Britney Spears demo recordings for musical fulfillment. Seriously, I enjoy his vocals on CA, but you can tell he had to be very strict, not because he is disiplined, but because his voice is lacking that fantastic range he had when he was younger.

I know you love CA, but you need to respect the fact that others make valid arguments against your case!

And can I just say that shockingly Hemispheres is once again a top five record. Mind blown! That title track...I have no idea how but I just did a Bluefox!

It's glorious isn't it.

How we were so stupid i'll never know.

Mick

Well...at least we were right about Presto...

:laughing yellow guy:

I actually like a lot of Presto. There are some silly songs (*ahem* Superconductor) which I do not like but I love The Pass, Presto and Available Light.

What I wouldn't do to hear Terry Brown mix Presto. :sigh:

• Like 1

You talk about Vocals. I thought CA was the first album in which they couldn't mask in the studio how much Ged is losing. Normally they'd been able to mask it......not here.

Mick

That's nuts, whatever though. Ged actually sings on CA, on Hemispheres he's not comfortable and they knew it

He may not have been comfortable, but he had a better range to push to the limits. Good grief, if he tried to do what he accomplished with Hems today...we would be either in hysterical stitches, or looking to Britney Spears demo recordings for musical fulfillment. Seriously, I enjoy his vocals on CA, but you can tell he had to be very strict, not because he is disiplined, but because his voice is lacking that fantastic range he had when he was younger.

I know you love CA, but you need to respect the fact that others make valid arguments against your case!

And can I just say that shockingly Hemispheres is once again a top five record. Mind blown! That title track...I have no idea how but I just did a Bluefox!

It's glorious isn't it.

How we were so stupid i'll never know.

Mick

Well...at least we were right about Presto...

:laughing yellow guy:

I actually like a lot of Presto. There are some silly songs (*ahem* Superconductor) which I do not like but I love The Pass, Presto and Available Light.

What I wouldn't do to hear Terry Brown mix Presto. :sigh:

Yea Superconductor blows chunks. But i was saying in another thread i really love neil's drum sound on Presto. Call me nuts...but i do. That one fill in Anagram after Ged sings "The saint turns to sin" at the end is like a drum seizure

Mick

• Like 2

Even their worst album has at least one (or two or three) good song(s).

My least favourite album is RTB.

I love Bravado, Dreamline, Roll The Bones, Ghost Of A Chance and really like The Big Wheel.

The rest sucks.

Even their worst album has at least one (or two or three) good song(s).

My least favourite album is RTB.

I love Bravado, Dreamline, Roll The Bones, Ghost Of A Chance and really like The Big Wheel.

The rest sucks.

That is how I feel about most (not all) of their albums. I only really like about three or four songs. The rest? Take or leave.

In all my decades of listening to music, there are only about less than fifteen albums I had that I liked/loved each and every song.

Rush albums where every song kicks ass?

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres :notworthy:

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Honorable mention to Fly By Night which comes close.

• Like 3

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Fly By Night is great and deserves to be up with the rest of your picks which are also my picks, believe it or not.

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Correct...... :)
  • Like 1

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

You forgot CA.

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

You forgot CA.

Did not.

• Like 2

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

You forgot CA.

Hold Your Fire, Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure too...
  • Like 1

There's some really picky people here. I do not think any rush song is bad. Every one of their songs has something to offer. Yes, some are weaker than others but I do not think anything in their entire discography is bad or horrible. Even the weaker cheesier lyrics have some entertainment value.
  • Like 1

There's some really picky people here. I do not think any rush song is bad. Every one of their songs has something to offer. Yes, some are weaker than others but I do not think anything in their entire discography is bad or horrible. Even the weaker cheesier lyrics have some entertainment value.

My list was albums where every song kicks ass. Any album with Superconductor on it doesn't belong on that list.

Even Rush understands that sometimes a song just misses the mark. It doesn't make them bad song writers or detract from how good they are. Hell, Wayne Gretsky has had bad games and Michael Jordan has missed more shots than some players took. When you go for broke every time you pour yourself into something you are bound to miss. They've missed before. No shame in it happening or mentioning it. They know.

• Like 1

Rush albums where I like, or love every song?

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

You forgot CA.

Did not.

Scrooge

• Like 1

Caress of Steel

A Farewell To Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

You forgot CA.

Did not.

Scrooge

McDuck

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

So you've come to like the Hemispheres title track?

And i spurred it on......but it's really easy to sway Segue.

Kidding Segue, Kidding, lol

Mick

• Like 1

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

Mick

No its true...I am the mist indecisive person you have ever met.

AND I ALWAYS LIKED THE TITLE TRACK I SIMPLY SAID ITS OVERRATED!

The main reason its now higher up is mainly because Circumstances and The Trees are getting better and better. And when I played the title track today, it sounded different. Dunno why but before it sounded chaotic, but today, well, I really started noticing little things...

If I am easy to sway...which I am...someone please make me love FBN! I want to so bad!

• Like 1

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

Mick

The main reason its now higher up is mainly because Circumstances and The Trees are getting better and better. And when I played the title track today, it sounded different. Dunno why but before it sounded chaotic, but today, well, I really started noticing little things...

If I am easy to sway...which I am...someone please make me love FBN! I want to so bad!

Well, which songs do you like already from FBN?

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

Mick

Well, which songs do you like already from FBN?

Not many. Brainwash me please. I enjoy all the albums from CoS to Presto...the debut is really good but not Rushy enough.. and FBN just...sits there with its hideous owl face.

CoS

AFTK

Hems

PeW

MP

Sig

p/g

PoW

HYF

Presto

VT

CA

Mick

I have found this with a lot of Rush songs. The more you hear them over time the better they get. There is nothing simplistic about this bands music, which I think is one of the keys to their music being so eternal. I'm sure FBN will grow on you, just give it time.

A better question might be to name some ways that CA is better..?

1. Better songs

The only tune that's absolutely lights out us La Villa. Cygnus has brilliant moments musically, but ultimately too long, with a forgettable guitar solo. Circumstances is a decent song but not great. The Trees is the 2nd best track IMO.

2. Better Vocals

Geddy's voice that record is just lacking nuance. In addition, and we all know this, it's too strained. The Trees is the best effort vocally. On CA Geddy is off the hook awesome in this regard

3. Depth

While Hemispheres offers depth (Hard to deny La Villa & Hemispheres), CA seems endless in terms of imagination and scope. To put it in artistic vernacular—they're painting in the corners.

4. Fresh and new

Sorry. Hemispheres seems to be leftover material, save La Villa, from AFTK. CA sounds like nothing else the band has recorded, yet brings the listener to the familiar—over and over again.

5. More music

I'll quality over quantity anyday. CA is monstrous for 66 minutes

6. Balls

Yes, gonadal integrity resurfaces on CA unlike any record since 2112

1. Clockwork Angels is not nearly as good an album as people think. The melodies on the album are seriouslee lacking. Outside of 2 or 3 tracks I can honestly say that the song writing is sub par. Hemispheres too long? Go pick up a Ramones album. Too long. Sheesh

The song is too long—yes. Some good moments. Utterly weak, throwaway solo. The title track is a leviathan, but ultimately played out.

2. Better vocals is ridiculous. Geddy was in his prime and absolutely killed himself to give you those vocals and they are glorious. He shredded his chords and hurt his range. That is what the vocals on CA are.

Better vocals by far. At that point Geddy really hurt himself. Yes, he sounds like he shredded his cords on that album. The vocals on CA are amazing and spot on. He is in control of his range

3. They painted everywhere. There's a wall of paint so thick you can't see the colors, to use your analogy. No space or room to breathe in CA which was something that always made Rush special.

4. Hemispheres is not new. Classic but not new. We agree.

CA is the newest classic

5. Times they are a changing. I'm not going to hold it against a band to put out an album that fits on... well... an album. They did not have the vision to invent a larger record that could hold as much as a CD. Once again, we agree.

That's an interesting opinion. CA is a fully realized vision. CA doesn't contain filler and is not composed of substandard music. It got more respect and praise on release than really any album it's ever released. I can't this of such universal praise for any record they've made—not that it matters one iota.

6. Now here we are not agreeing again. Balls? CA has more balls than Hemispheres? You are on crack and you should never do a drug named after part of your ass. (Good advice). There is some strong playing on CA and Geddy somehow keeps getting better but you cannot really believe that CA has more balls. Can you? :blink:

Yeah, Rush had made only one album as heavy as CA...it's called 2112.

7. I'm adding #7. Melody. There is a novel concept. There are gorgeous melodies on Hemispheres and CA is this close to a William Shatner album. Even Geddy's bass (and he really is getting better) has lost its melodic feel. Aggressive and tight but not pretty at the same time like Hemispheres. The musicianship blows away CA.

Rush is evolving for the better. EVOLVING.

We can talk about opinions and what you like or prefer all day but please do not tell me that CA is better than Hemispheres.