Snakes & Arrows V Clockwork Angels

Brucey

Which do you prefer?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Snakes & Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

Snakes & Arrows. Geddys voice on CA really sucks and the songs have no heart. The only songs that stand out are Caravan, Headlong Flight and The Garden. The rest of it is just one long drone to me.

Rollingstone could use a great perspective such as this—spot on. It's just crap

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

CA is the endlessly deep and powerful. S&A is an ant compared to the gigantic accomplishment that is Clockwork Angels.

Oh please. What's so accomplished about CA? It's a shallow, depressing, noisy mess and some of Neil's worst lyrics.

And i never thought i'd say this as an Atheist. Knock off the Atheistic lyrics and pick a different topic. It seems to me like neil is stuck there. It might be me. but it jumps out every time.

Mick

I view CA less as about atheism and more about the hubris and even evil of statists who seek to control everything in the world around us...if anything the watchmaker was a less malignant figure than some of the more evil statists we see in the world today.

• Like 3

Snakes & Arrows. Geddys voice on CA really sucks and the songs have no heart. The only songs that stand out are Caravan, Headlong Flight and The Garden. The rest of it is just one long drone to me.

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

CA is the endlessly deep and powerful. S&A is an ant compared to the gigantic accomplishment that is Clockwork Angels.

Oh please. What's so accomplished about CA? It's a shallow, depressing, noisy mess and some of Neil's worst lyrics.

And i never thought i'd say this as an Atheist. Knock off the Atheistic lyrics and pick a different topic. It seems to me like neil is stuck there. It might be me. but it jumps out every time.

Mick

I view CA less as about atheism and more about the hubris and even evil of statists who seek to control everything in the world around us...if anything the watchmaker was a less malignant figure than some of the more evil statists we see in the world today.

http://www.marklevinshow.com/images/featured_image/0/paired_modules/6/1394586073_stretch.png

• Like 1

You ever have an album that just makes you angry. That's CA for me. and i know i harp on it but it really goes back to the production. Even the songs i like are marred by it. Espicially after S&A which sounded great to me.

Mick

VT is the same for me. There are mostly good songs under the noise somewhere.....

Just got to give the Remixed version a listen or two straight through. Doesn't make your head hurt, and you might find yourself saying at some point, "Sheee*t, this is some good stuff!" Just maybe.

Is 6 times enough?..... :LOL:

The remixed version? If you've listened to that six times with nothing to show for it, then I guess it aint happening.

You ever have an album that just makes you angry. That's CA for me. and i know i harp on it but it really goes back to the production. Even the songs i like are marred by it. Espicially after S&A which sounded great to me.

Mick

VT is the same for me. There are mostly good songs under the noise somewhere.....

Just got to give the Remixed version a listen or two straight through. Doesn't make your head hurt, and you might find yourself saying at some point, "Sheee*t, this is some good stuff!" Just maybe.

Is 6 times enough?..... :LOL:

The remixed version? If you've listened to that six times with nothing to show for it, then I guess it aint happening.

That's because the original is MUCH better even though it's sizzly and distorted. But, it's not empty, it doesn't have massively reverbed WAAAAY too loud vocals and parts missing along with parts added. And, although everything is a wall of noise, it gels together that way because it was WRITTEN to sound like that. Separated mush is still mush...adding digital reverb and separating sloppily played poorly recorded chunka chunka bass and guitar parts does not a good mix make.

The remix sucks balls because it absolutely HAS no balls.

• Like 1

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

Mick

And it's not like Neil went easy on the anarchist. The album ends at a garden like Candide's into which the protagonist recedes.

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

It's a work of art. Even has a cool album cover. You sound a bit cranky and bitter...need a TRF hug?

Even between the songs there's cool stuff.

Not cranky at all, just stating my opinion. Compared to their older stuff CA just doesn't measure up, production-wise or song-wise.

• Like 3

Here's how I rank the songs on each album, then compared against each other:

S&A CA

TMMB Clockwork Angels

Far Cry Caravan

WTA BU2B

A&Sword 7COG

We Hold On The Anarchist

TWTWB Carnies

Larger Bowl HLF

MalNar Wreckers

BravestFace Wish Them Well

Faithless Halo Effect

GoodNews1st The Garden

Hope BU2B2

Spindrift

S&A is a pretty good album, but even its 6 best songs lose out to CA's parade of jaw-droppers. And once you get to the bottom half, CA :bitchslap: it from pillar to post.

• Like 2

Here's how I rank the songs on each album, then compared against each other:

S&A CA

TMMB Clockwork Angels

Far Cry Caravan

WTA BU2B

A&Sword 7COG

We Hold On The Anarchist

TWTWB Carnies

Larger Bowl HLF

MalNar Wreckers

BravestFace Wish Them Well

Faithless Halo Effect

GoodNews1st The Garden

Hope BU2B2

Spindrift

S&A is a pretty good album, but even its 6 best songs lose out to CA's parade of jaw-droppers. And once you get to the bottom half, CA :bitchslap: it from pillar to post.

Well said! 66 minutes of amazing craft and heart.

God, I totally hated Clockwork Angels. Worst thing of theirs ever. I hope they don't continue along this path for their next album if there is one, because this is the worst possible thing for them to leave on!
  • Like 2

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

Heh, the sarcasm on your original post came through, at least for me :laughing yellow guy:

Clockwork Angels all the way, baby! It is their best album since the early 80s. It's got power, balls, emotion, a cohesive story—it's everything I love about Rush wrapped up into a ball of fantastic. How can that even begin to compare to the dung ball of S&A, which only has one song that I really like (Far Cry), and a whole lot of mediocre to crap?
  • Like 1

Clockwork Angels

"Way the Wind Blows" is a very strong track though and challenges anything on CA, so I will say that.

I'll bet you're on drugs, 'cause you be trippin.

Ack! TWTWB is something I skip past as soon as it comes on. The intro is blues! I HATE blues! Aaaaah!

• Like 1

Glad you agree.

Just trollin' for S&A.

Mick

And it's not like Neil went easy on the anarchist. The album ends at a garden like Candide's into which the protagonist recedes.

True dat.

Clockwork Angels

"Way the Wind Blows" is a very strong track though and challenges anything on CA, so I will say that.

Ack! TWTWB is something I skip past as soon as it comes on. The intro is blues! I HATE blues! Aaaaah!

To me the bright spots on S&A are the instrumentals. They're fantastic

• Like 3

Clockwork Angels

To me the bright spots on S&A are the instrumentals. They're fantastic

There's a bright spot on S&A? I'll give it yet another listen today.

• Like 3

Clockwork Angels. Not even close.

The only place S&A has the edge is production. Everything is so crisp and clear on that album which makes it a treat to listen to.

Everything else about CA is miles better.

Clockwork Angels. Not even close.

S & A a treat to listen to.

Everything else about CA is miles better.

:) Lorraine ^^^^^^^ Edited by Narpski

I do think S&A sucks a lot. Give me an EP of Far Cry, Armor & Sword, Working them Angels, TMMB, Good News First, and I'm content.

Production wise, Nick R. did a really fine job. Really confused about his failure on CA.

• Like 1