2014-15 NHL Season thread

That series, and the Anaheim series were just too intense.

Glad I don't have to go through a Game 7...

On yeah. Two very tough series. They have earned this.

TB will be scary in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

Love how this team never quits, finds a way to win against the odds...they are Champions!!! :notworthy: HAWKS are the best!! :hockey:
  • Like 6

I just wanted to say a little something about Rocky Wirtz. When Rocky's father Bill died in 2007, the Hawks were considered the worst franchise in the NHL. They had only made the playoffs once in 10 years. They were averaging about 8,000 fans a game. They were the only major professional sports franchise not to televise their home games. Their best player was an often injured Martin Havlat. Bill Wirtz ran the team like it was still the 1960s. When he died, his son Rocky took over the team. Rocky immediately got the Hawks home games on TV. He had the GM sign the biggest free agents, like Marrian Hossa. He put in a management team of John McDonough and Stan Bowman. They brought in Joel Queneville. In three short years, Rocky took the Blackhawks from the laughing stock of the NHL to Stanley Cup champions.

I love the Blackhawks. I took my wife to her first game on our third date. Around 2005, I swore the Hawks wouldn’t get another dime of my money until they started changing the way that they ran the team, and it really broke my heart to do that. It’s amazing to think about how far we have come in just 8 years. It feels so good to have pride in my Blackhawks again. So, I say thank you Dale Tallon for drafting Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmersson, Toews, and Kane. Thank you Rocky for making the Hawks the class organization they are. Thank you Stan, for building a dynasty during the salary cap era. Thanks you Joel for guiding this team. And thanks to the players for KICKING SO MUCH ASS! :haz:

• Like 8

I feel the same way. I curse old man Wirtz as stated upthread, he shit on the hawks and drove them into the ground. Old time hockey, my ass. Rocky deserves a spot in the hall of fame for what he just did as well. Just for reading a book called Doing the opposite of my dickhead dad.
  • Like 3

I just wanted to say a little something about Rocky Wirtz. When Rocky's father Bill died in 2007, the Hawks were considered the worst franchise in the NHL. They had only made the playoffs once in 10 years. They were averaging about 8,000 fans a game. They were the only major professional sports franchise not to televise their home games. Their best player was an often injured Martin Havlat. Bill Wirtz ran the team like it was still the 1960s. When he died, his son Rocky took over the team. Rocky immediately got the Hawks home games on TV. He had the GM sign the biggest free agents, like Marrian Hossa. He put in a management team of John McDonough and Stan Bowman. They brought in Joel Queneville. In three short years, Rocky took the Blackhawks from the laughing stock of the NHL to Stanley Cup champions.

I love the Blackhawks. I took my wife to her first game on our third date. Around 2005, I swore the Hawks wouldn’t get another dime of my money until they started changing the way that they ran the team, and it really broke my heart to do that. It’s amazing to think about how far we have come in just 8 years. It feels so good to have pride in my Blackhawks again. So, I say thank you Dale Tallon for drafting Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmersson, Toews, and Kane. Thank you Rocky for making the Hawks the class organization they are. Thank you Stan, for building a dynasty during the salary cap era. Thanks you Joel for guiding this team. And thanks to the players for KICKING SO MUCH ASS! :haz:

Wow,

8,000 fans? That blows me away for it being the Blackhawks.

Wow,

Yeah...it was bad. They were an afterthought in this city. It was really sad to think about what Bill Wirtz did to this proud franchise. Guys like Glenn Hall, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Doug Wilson, Denis Savard, and Chris Chelios all wore the Indian head. Thank God Rocky was able to right the sins of the father. :)
  • Like 3

Wow,

Yeah...it was bad. They were an afterthought in this city. It was really sad to think about what Bill Wirtz did to this proud franchise. Guys like Glenn Hall, Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Doug Wilson, Denis Savard, and Chris Chelios all wore the Indian head. Thank God Rocky was able to right the sins of the father. :)

The elder Wirtz was one of the worst owners in sports. I remember my dad complaining about the guy in the 1970s for his ridiculous arena prices (much higher than Wrigley or Commiskey) and the antiquated policies w/r/t TV in the home market. Glad the apple fell far from that particular tree.

• Like 2

It seems fitting that the Hawks were able to win their third Cup during the Kane-Toews reign, exactly the same what the Red Wings have done in the Yzerman era. :)
  • Like 1

Any of you Hawk fans who live near Chicago going to the parade?

I went to the first one in 2010. 90 minute train ride. 20 minute walk to parade route. Got there early enough to get good spot, so had to wait over 90 minutes for actual parade. There were about five double decker buses, and lots of "ticker tape". In less than 5 minutes it was done, and too many people to get any where near the rally.

I did it once. I'm done.

• Like 2

I need to stay out of those LeStudio threads before I really insult someone http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beatdeadhorse5.gif

Some times its harder than you think,

Good luck. :D

Edited by troutman

That was a great series, well done Chicago. 3.5 defenseman and still able to pull it off. I would of liked to of seen Tiimonen follow Toews to the cup and accept it immediately like Bourque.

He did

When the Avs won in 01, Sakic got the cup and handed it directly to Bourque. Toews lifted it above his head, celebrated for five seconds and skated over to Tiimmonnen. A direct handoff would of been more memorable in a few years.

I need to stay out of those LeStudio threads before I really insult someone http://www.shootersloft.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/beatdeadhorse5.gif

Calling LeStudio Mecca last week wasn't a good start :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Calling LeStudio Mecca last week wasn't a good start :laughing guy:

Must resist temptation...

That was a great series, well done Chicago. 3.5 defenseman and still able to pull it off. I would of liked to of seen Tiimonen follow Toews to the cup and accept it immediately like Bourque.

He did

When the Avs won in 01, Sakic got the cup and handed it directly to Bourque. Toews lifted it above his head, celebrated for five seconds and skated over to Tiimmonnen. A direct handoff would of been more memorable in a few years.

Seeing Timonnen get it first(second) made me pretty damn happy. The look on his face was just awesome :)

• Like 1

He did

Seeing Timonnen get it first(second) made me pretty damn happy. The look on his face was just awesome :)

What Toews did was fine. The fact that Timmo got first crack was good enough. Let's not confuse Timmo with one of the greatest defenseman the NHL has ever scene.
  • Like 1

He did

What Toews did was fine. The fact that Timmo got first crack was good enough. Let's not confuse Timmo with one of the greatest defenseman the NHL has ever scene.

Oh, I know. Toews was fine and giving Timo the cup was all class. I like Timo, but he isn't Cheli or Keith or even Gary Suter for that matter. He's just a good guy who played a long time and finally got to go out a winner, which is cool.

• Like 1

He did

What I saw was when Toews was skating over to the Cup, he was motioning to someone to follow him over there. He did that several times before he got to the Cup. I think he was trying to get Timmonen to come with him. The fact that the new players got to hold the Cup before the rest of the guys shows how much they were enjoying sharing it with them. Toews is a class act in my book.

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3