Caress of Steel

k3no444

Negatives:

The spoken parts of Necromancer are embarrassing,

Didacts and Narpets is executed poorly, but is thankfully only 1 minute long.

The attempt at humor in ITIGB isn't too bad, but does derail what would be just an average song otherwise.

Positives:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

The middle section of the Necromancer (Under the Shadow)

Fountain of Lamneth - Didacts and Narpets aside, every other section is very well done. I prefer this epic to 2112, because it doesn't grind to a halt for several minutes in the middle.

Since the positives outweigh the negatives, I consider this album quite good, and more importantly, I still enjoy re-experiencing the prog monster that Rush was becoming, so it's a fun journey.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

Negatives:

I think they're pretty cool actually. They help create a sort of brooding intensity about the song, further accented by Alex's wicked riffs that surround them.

Do you really think so? I'm not a drummer (or musician of any ilk), but I've never felt that way about Didacts and Narpets… :huh:

Fountain of Lamneth - Didacts and Narpets aside, every other section is very well done. I prefer this epic to 2112, because it doesn't grind to a halt for several minutes in the middle.

Does your copy of COS not include Panacea for some reason? Yech… talk about embarrassing... :LOL:

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 2

By far the worst album of Rush's career.

1 classic (Bastille Day)

1 Good (Lakeside park)

and 35 minutes of :oops:

Agree with most of this, but 35 minutes of oops is a bit strong. There are decent parts of the Necromancer and FOL, but they can't overcome the many more minutes of tediousness in those two songs...

Negatives:

I think they're pretty cool actually. They help create a sort of brooding intensity about the song, further accented by Alex's wicked riffs that surround them.

Do you really think so? I'm not a drummer (or musician of any ilk), but I've never felt that way about Didacts and Narpets… :huh:

Does your copy of COS not include Panacea for some reason? Yech… talk about embarrassing... :LOL:

I agree with much of this response, but I have to admit I prefer listening to my "edited" version of Necromancer (absent the spoken narrative).

Negatives:

I agree with much of this response, but I have to admit I prefer listening to my "edited" version of Necromancer (absent the spoken narrative).

Narratives are best left on the lyrics sheet. Cygnus X-1's narration is even worse to me.

Negatives:

Panacea is my favorite part of the entire album, actually.

For a band long on power and complexity, and short on beauty, Panacea is a wonderful reminder of how talented Rush is.

Negatives:

Narratives are best left on the lyrics sheet. Cygnus X-1's narration is even worse to me.

Interesting. The narration on Cygnus X-1 and Countdown work for me. Necromancer is way too distorted and way too Tolkienesque.

Negatives:

For a band long on power and complexity, and short on beauty, Panacea is a wonderful reminder of how talented Rush is.

A band long on power but short on beauty?

Get outta here!! Lol

Negatives:

A band long on power but short on beauty?

Get outta here!! Lol

Scorching raw rock power is beauty! However, think also "The Sphere," "Different Strings," "Entre Nous," "Losing It," "Tears," "Xanadu," "Madrigal" . . .

• Like 1