Introduce your favorite "obscure" band

Rutlefan

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcrj-FFK4MM

I have this on tape. During a summer session at NC State, the college radio station used to play that tune quite a bit.

In recent years I've listened to this girl. I can definitely hear some Siouxsie and Banshees in the music. Yes, this is goth/industrial, but very current:

Under-appreciated band. Your profile mentions that you're into cars. In case you aren't already aware, Rob Dickinson created and runs Singer Vehicle Design, which makes amazing updated classic Porsche 911s. Start at around $300K I think. I'll stick to my ancient Alfas, but I like his taste nevertheless. Nice life: front an alternative/shoegaze band and then make custom cars for the super rich. Why didn't I think of that!?

Edited by Rutlefan

Under-appreciated band. Your profile mentions that you're into cars. In case you aren't already aware, Rob Dickinson created and runs Singer Vehicle Design, which makes amazing updated classic Porsche 911s. Start at around $300K I think. I'll stick to my ancient Alfas, but I like his taste nevertheless. Nice life: front an alternative/shoegaze band and then make custom cars for the super rich. Why didn't I think of that!?

He tinkers with Porsches while his cousin Bruce plays with WWII tanks. :LMAO:

Everything I listen to is obscure to most of the people I meet.

Yeah, it all depends on context. I've heard of Kitchens of Distinction and Swell Maps, but it's been at least 20 years since I've heard their music. And I'm sure a lot of what TRF members listen to is considered obscure by the general public.

Me, I was big into college radio, 'underground,' and goth/industrial music during the 80s and 90s so I'm sure half my music library would be consider obscure even to the average TRF person!

Everything I listen to is obscure to most of the people I meet.

Yeah, it all depends on context. I've heard of Kitchens of Distinction and Swell Maps, but it's been at least 20 years since I've heard their music. And I'm sure a lot of what TRF members listen to is considered obscure by the general public.

Me, I was big into college radio, 'underground,' and goth/industrial music during the 80s and 90s so I'm sure half my music library would be consider obscure even to the average TRF person!

No doubt many here appreciate many little-known bands. Of course it's easy to be obscure. It's trickier being obscure and being worth mentioning as a band people might want to know about. I always like these "worst band/singer/whatever" posts. It's usually some band that is really really awful, but is only heard in back yards or at open mike nights. There's a billion of those. Reminds me of the line in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" describing the "worst poetry in the universe":

Vogon poetry is of course the third worst in the Universe. The second worst is that of the Azgoths of Kria. During a recitation by their Poet Master Grunthos the Flatulent of his poem "Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty I Found in My Armpit One Midsummer Morning" four of his audience members died of internal haemorrhaging, and the President of the Mid-Galactic Arts Nobbling Council survived by gnawing one of his own legs off. Grunthos is reported to have been "disappointed" by the poem's reception, and was about to embark on a reading of his twelve-book epic entitled "My Favourite Bathtime Gurgles" when his own major intestine, in a desperate attempt to save life and civilization, leaped straight up through his neck and throttled his brain. The very worst poetry of all perished along with its creator, Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Greenbridge, Essex, England, in the destruction of the planet Earth.

In reality, the world is FULL of musical versions of Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings, almost all of whom are thankfully obscure. Point is, which of your obscure bands deserve to be less obscure?

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I have raved about one of my favorite bands, Animal Collective, a ton on this site. Though they are pretty obscure to the masses, they are critically acclaimed, and a top tier indie/hipster band, so they may not be the best example. Therefore, I will introduce one of their member's side projects...

Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks. Here are a few examples

I have raved about one of my favorite bands, Animal Collective, a ton on this site. Though they are pretty obscure to the masses, they are critically acclaimed, and a top tier indie/hipster band, so they may not be the best example. Therefore, I will introduce one of their member's side projects...

Avey Tare's Slasher Flicks. Here are a few examples

Here are a couple more, too many to keep my examples to just 2

I'm starting to get into Pelican after immersing myself with Isis (who I also discovered fairly recently as well). I have Australasia on vinyl (first pressing) and I'm slowly making my way though the rest of their material. Great and underrated instrumental band IMO.

• Like 1

This band may not be obscure. This particular tune is very haunting. This band is made up of Enya's brothers and sister:

http://youtu.be/cJsd2YyKTsU

• Like 2

Anybody know this one? Armageddon. I think they only had one release. I bought it in the mid 70's and still have it in my collection. I don't remember listing to it alot but I thought it was pretty good if I recall...... :huh:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/01/Armageddon_%28Armageddon_album%29.jpg

• Like 2

I'm starting to get into Pelican after immersing myself with Isis (who I also discovered fairly recently as well). I have Australasia on vinyl (first pressing) and I'm slowly making my way though the rest of their material. Great and underrated instrumental band IMO.

if you are digging Pelican, check out Russian Circles. There isn't a bad track on their Geneva album. Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1