Double Agent

LeaveMyThingAlone

Damn.....

This song is just so relentless. I had not listened to Counterparts in a long time and just came back to a great album. I have always listed Double Agent as my favorite Rush song ever. Raises some eyebrows, but I just remembered why...

The Riff master just comes up with the sickest riff for this one. The speaking part could have been hokey, but it worked out perfectly. 30 seconds into the song, right after Geddy's last "anywhere. anywhere but here", Alex starts that nasty riff, then Neil with a double and a triple and an awesome roll, then they all jam the hell out of it. It's dark but just rocks like no other.

Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well live, so it has kind of gotten lost in the Rush catalog. This song deserves some major props

• Like 4

Damn.....

This song is just so relentless. I had not listened to Counterparts in a long time and just came back to a great album. I have always listed Double Agent as my favorite Rush song ever. Raises some eyebrows, but I just remembered why...

The Riff master just comes up with the sickest riff for this one. The speaking part could have been hokey, but it worked out perfectly. 30 seconds into the song, right after Geddy's last "anywhere. anywhere but here", Alex starts that nasty riff, then Neil with a double and a triple and an awesome roll, then they all jam the hell out of it. It's dark but just rocks like no other.

Unfortunately, it doesn't translate well live, so it has kind of gotten lost in the Rush catalog. This song deserves some major props

I was gonna start a thread on this...absolutely my favourite Rush song of the nineties, alongside Carve Away The Stone (another eyebrow raising choice).

A pure 10/10 Rush oddity.

• Like 1

I will have to listen to it and see for myself.... :)

You've never heard Counterparts?

This is Narpswitzerland...of course he hasn't!

I have heard whatever they have done live from it over the years. I have never heard the studio album....

Edit: for the record I have tried to listen to HYF- current stuff from time to time but just don't like most of it or the style of most of it. The Rush music I love (74'-85') is my favorite music in all of my life as I have stated before....

Edited by Narpski

I have heard whatever they have done live from it over the years. I have never heard the studio album....

I would have thought you as more a completist.

Edit: for the record I have tried to listen to HYF- current stuff from time to time but just don't like most of it or the style of most of it. The Rush music I love (74'-85') is my favorite music in all of my life as I have stated before....

Presto does get awesome...CP is actually pretty great..T4E has some good stuff...

Yeah I know what you mean. If you try Counterparts as a whole, I will play your very favourite Yes album...deal? Then we both get to expand our horizons a little outside our comfort zones (I only really play Topographic Oceans).

I would consider myself more stubborn, getting old, and set in his ways. I know what I like and rarely deviate. No different in my taste in food or anything else in my life. I have figured out what I like and am to stubborn to change now. Not saying I am proud of it, just saying that is how I am and how it is...

Open your mind dude.

Well...being a massive fan doesn't have to be the same thing as spending money on something you won't play. I love Stevie Nicks...I don't want half her albums, thank you very much! But you try telling me I am not a mahoosive lover of her work...

Well...being a massive fan doesn't have to be the same thing as spending money on something you won't play. I love Stevie Nicks...I don't want half her albums, thank you very much! But you try telling me I am not a mahoosive lover of her work...

I do have Belladonna somewhere in my collection.... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I do have Belladonna somewhere in my collection.... :cheers:

Thats an awesome album! Eat my...cupcakes...

• Like 1

Open your mind dude.

Like I said I am not always proud of the way I am. I have heard about it from my family many times. I morphed into my father somewhere along the way and become more like him every day. I could do much worse..... Edited by Narpski

A very bad song on Rush's worst album. The music is ok (boring, but ok), but the vocals are horrendous and the production is the worst on the album. That's actually a shame as production is the one area where this album actually generally succeeds very well.
  • Like 1

I would consider myself more stubborn, getting old, and set in his ways. I know what I like and rarely deviate. No different in my taste in food or anything else in my life. I have figured out what I like and am to stubborn to change now. Not saying I am proud of it, just saying that is how I am and how it is...

How It Is is another good more recent song!

But seriously, one thing I've been adamant about my whole life is that I want to avoid being old to the extent that I can. Sure, I have to use reading glasses now (and I'm not happy about it), but I refuse to submit to the "I am old so I can or cannot do __________." And that probably explains why I'm a bigger metalhead than most people I know ;)

Narp, try breaking out of the mold and trying different things. It doesn't mean you have to abandon what you already like, you would just be adding to them. And if you don't care for some of the new stuff, no big deal, just try something else. At the very best you'll expand your horizons and feel younger :D

Open your mind dude.

Like I said I am not always proud of the way I am. I have heard about it from my family many times. I morphed into my father somewhere along the way and become more like him every day. I could do much worse.....

I think you're opinions are valid. It is ok to reach out and try new things, buy if you are content with your favourite band's collection as it is, keep it that way!

But YouTube is an excellent way of experimenting. And I recommend Counterparts, as it is patchy, but it really does have many very high points! And I think Presto is another good choice. Has a lot of early 80's Rush flavours and a tad more of the streamlined pop-rock approach of Roll The Bones. But Counterparts is good stuff!

A very bad song on Rush's worst album. The music is ok (boring, but ok), but the vocals are horrendous and the production is the worst on the album. That's actually a shame as production is the one area where this album actually generally succeeds very well.

Although I do not agree with you at all, it is interesting to note that everything you dislike about DA is partly why I love it!

I still maintain that VT is the worst thing Rush have ever released. Even worse than that animated robot video to, if i remember correctly, The Enemy Within (or was it The Body Electric?).

I am going to go with LedRush on this one. He is rarely wrong about anything.... :D
  • Like 1

I am going to go with LedRush on this one. He is rarely wrong about anything.... :D

And I'll be the first to tell you that! :D

• Like 1

Way to expand your horizons. Good job.

Being inspired by the thread on the book coming out on Living Colour, I just listened to their album from a few years ago, Chair in the Doorway.. I've been meaning to give it a listen... Hadn't heard any of their newer stuff.. And yah know what? It's good.. Do I find it as strong as their first 3 albums from 20+ years ago? At this moment, no.. But it's still living colour.. The same, but different.. That's how you need to approach music..

Edited by Xanadoood

Damn.....

It's true, it doesn't work well live at all. I do like the studio track though. It's quite quirky and I use the "where would you rather be" call with the "anywhere, anywhere but here" response when I find myself in an uncomfortable situation.