"A Farewell To Kings" Question (for those of you who were around when it came out)

Lorraine

I think Kings has the best sound and vibe of any album. Rockford Studios gets my thumbs up.
  • Like 1

For me, the best Rush album of all time. Well, an equal alongside several other Rush albums I regard as equal, but when push comes to shove, AFTK is undoubtedly my favourite. I don't know why, but this album has a strong sense of adventure and a chivalrous atmosphere that creates visions of knights, dragons, space adventures and H.G. Wells-esque futuristic landscapes.

The cover artwork is my favourite, and its just the perfect rock album. I adore it...I know many regard Hemispheres as the bands finest work, but that album is only half as good as AFTK, and for me that is still an 8/10 masterwork. But something about this album sticks with me...its just got an intoxicating atmosphere, wonderful lyrics, and some of the best production values of any album I have ever heard! Why does rock sound so much like plastic in the 21st century when it sounded like a dream in 1977?

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

AFTK.....what an album. It's my favorite Rush album (with Hemispheres and Permanent Waves not far behind). It's such a great album! It has the perfect blend of classic Rush sound with a touch of sci fi and medieval sprinkled in, and it has a flow and vibe that no other Rush album has achieved. I only wish I could have been alive when it was released...would literally give up an arm to see a Rush concert in the seventies Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 5

For me, the best Rush album of all time. Well, an equal alongside several other Rush albums I regard as equal, but when push comes to shove, AFTK is undoubtedly my favourite. I don't know why, but this album has a strong sense of adventure and a chivalrous atmosphere that creates visions of knights, dragons, space adventures and H.G. Wells-esque futuristic landscapes.

The cover artwork is my favourite, and its just the perfect rock album. I adore it...I know many regard Hemispheres as the bands finest work, but that album is only half as good as AFTK, and for me that is still an 8/10 masterwork. But something about this album sticks with me...its just got an intoxicating atmosphere, wonderful lyrics, and some of the best production values of any album I have ever heard! Why does rock sound so much like plastic in the 21st century when it sounded like a dream in 1977?

Lots of reasons for this but I think a big one is analog recording vs. digital.

Like Narpski, AFTK was the "new" Rush album when I first got into the band and like Narpski, outside my circle of friends I had no idea if anyone else even knew who Rush was. Rush certainly wasn't getting much in the way of airplay back then. In those days FM radio was in love with bands like Nazareth, ZZ Top, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, STYX, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Kiss (but pretty much only Beth or Rock and Roll All Night) -- all great bands, mind you, but none that sounded anything like Rush in their heyday. You might hear Rush at late night, but it was almost always In The Mood back then.

Kansas was huge back then huh? Seeing them posted a few times here.

As for Kings...was a bit too young when it came out (all KISS all the time here), but its definitely a top 5 rush album for me, ahead of all their other 70s output. Tremendous top to bottom.

Edited by greg2112

While I didnt buy the album in 77 (too young), I did buy it in 1982. And vividly remember listening to it on vinyl for hours on end, staring at the gatefold and studying the lyrics. Very special album for sure, great times.

With all this love for AFTK, I thought I'd share a work in progress with ya'll. I'm part of an online music collaboration project with a couple of other guys. We're working on a 2 album release of mostly originals, but we're all huge Rush freaks so we thought we'd work up a couple of Rush tunes, staying mostly true to the original versions, but putting our own twists on them here and there. It just so happens that A Farewell to Kings is one of the ones we're working on. Here is what we have so far. I hope you enjoy it!

Aerosmith

Peter Frampton

Renaissance

Kansas

Foreigner

That's who I was listening to. Maybe some others that I can't think of right now.

I took a trip to the faaaair

Thanks to you, all last night and this morning since I got up, all I hear in my brain is:

:musicnote: A trip to the fair

but nobody was there :musicnote:

With all this love for AFTK, I thought I'd share a work in progress with ya'll. I'm part of an online music collaboration project with a couple of other guys. We're working on a 2 album release of mostly originals, but we're all huge Rush freaks so we thought we'd work up a couple of Rush tunes, staying mostly true to the original versions, but putting our own twists on them here and there. It just so happens that A Farewell to Kings is one of the ones we're working on. Here is what we have so far. I hope you enjoy it!

I'd love to be able to listen, but I can't. I couldn't even get your link to load.

Another thing. For all of the fancy and sophisticated technology today, this old album has better sound than CA.

Indeed. There is precious little "layering" on those old albums. Lean and mean!

I'd love to be able to listen, but I can't. I couldn't even get your link to load.

Here's another link to a different site. Hopefully that works!

• Like 1

Nice.... :ebert:
  • Like 1

JARG, I have to take Narpski's word for it. They are MP3s to load. A major undertaking for me. The computer is slower than normal today. I have the page bookmarked and will give it the old college try later.

Appreciate the second link.

JARG, I have to take Narpski's word for it. They are MP3s to load. A major undertaking for me. The computer is slower than normal today. I have the page bookmarked and will give it the old college try later.

Well I have been told I have great taste.... :coy: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Well I have been told I have great taste.... :coy:

And I've heard you were less filling. (I won't say from who, though...) :)

Well I have been told I have great taste.... :coy:

And I've heard you were less filling. (I won't say from who, though...) :)

Wait for it..... :syrinx:
  • Like 1

Getting back on topic, I don't ever remember hearing Rush, or anything from AFTK on FM radio in the Chicago area until PeW and TSOR...

Yet when I did a survey for a sociology class in high school in the fall of 1979, Rush was third in popularity to Floyd (this was right around the time the Wall was released) and Zeppelin.

• Like 2

It was a heavy metal firestorm! People knew it was metal from the first note and reacted accordingly!

:haz:

:goodone:

There's nothing more metal than the first few seconds of AFTK! :haz:

It was a heavy metal firestorm! People knew it was metal from the first note and reacted accordingly!

:haz:

:goodone:

There's nothing more metal than the first few seconds of AFTK! :haz:

It's classical guitar :blaze: metal!! :guitar:

• Like 3

It was quite a big deal in England. My big brother & his friends were all over it at the time of its release. I was too young though.

I also remember it getting a good deal of coverage in the music press too (Sounds etc). My brother's circle all read that stuff & talked about it all the time.

So yes, as I recall it made quite an impression over here.

Well what the hell is wrong with us Americans? I'll blame it on WNEW FM and Scott Muni and Allison Steele for not alerting me to this album. :rage:

Stern used to talk about them all the time. He was not a fan....

He was just jealous of Geddy's nose. That's why he didn't like them.

And his hair.. And his glasses.. And his personality..

• Like 1

Getting back on topic, I don't ever remember hearing Rush, or anything from AFTK on FM radio in the Chicago area until PeW and TSOR...

Yet when I did a survey for a sociology class in high school in the fall of 1979, Rush was third in popularity to Floyd (this was right around the time the Wall was released) and Zeppelin.

Must've been nice to be in a cool school!

Must've been nice to be in a cool school!

My son tells me this all the time. (But without getting into a whole lot of extraneous detail, the educational opportunities at his school >>>>> those at mine, much better musical tastes notwithstanding.)

It was quite a big deal in England. My big brother & his friends were all over it at the time of its release. I was too young though.

I also remember it getting a good deal of coverage in the music press too (Sounds etc). My brother's circle all read that stuff & talked about it all the time.

Well what the hell is wrong with us Americans? I'll blame it on WNEW FM and Scott Muni and Allison Steele for not alerting me to this album. :rage:

Yeah. Especially the fact that Geddy was, and is, actually - nice.

Yeah. Especially the fact that Geddy was, and is, actually - nice.

And so to is Stern by all accounts....