"Today's Music all Sucks" Growing Pains of Young Music Listeners

Dscrapre

In New York city, radio in the late 70's was cool. WNEW-FM ( Classic Rock ). WPLJ was going strong too but they did play Foreigner ( which back then, were not bad ). 1977 below but both of these NY stations were going strong for years later.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5457_zps75e3b1df.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Rap really did ruin everything good musically. Let's see... melody? Don't want any of that. I'll just talk fast and monotone. OK, music, music.... hmm. I don't know how to play an instrument. I'll just borrow this riff from Jamie's Crying by Van Halen and see if people dig it. Loop this 4 second riff over and over again with a drum machine and... viola! I think I'll call it... a song. But what should I sing... I mean... talk about? Politics, religion, love, something deeper... no wait! I'll talk about me and how great I am!

Lots of uninformed and outdated generalizations here.

First off, who says that all music has to be based on melody to be good? If you are listening to rap for the melody, then yeah you probably aren't going to like it. A lot of rap is fully percussive music. Everything from the drums to the instrumental tracks to the rapper's flow is all working towards a percussive effect. It's sort of like how a good drum solo works, only with voices.

Secondly, it's not a rule that in order to make rap music, you must be incapable of playing an instrument. Sure, not every rapper can play an instrument, but nobody ever seems to call out rock lead singers who don't play instruments, and there are plenty of them too. Plenty of rappers are also very skilled record producers who write and perform their own music. The Rza, Dr. Dre, and even guys like Kanye West come to mind.

At it's best sampling can be a tool for the creation of new music from existent recordings. The Beastie Boys were particularly good at borrowing elements of other music and making them their own. It's really not all that different from when rock musicians borrow pieces from other compositions *coughlavillastrangiatocough*.

And then there are the lyrics. Please tell me more about how nobody from the 60's 70's or 80's rock scenes ever wrote braggadocios music about themselves, their sexual prowess, rampant drug use, or any of those other things that "rappers always talk about". Just like how not every rock band was Whitesnake (the band named after a penis), not every rapper just raps about themselves or how great they are. A lot of rap has very serious spiritual and emotional lyrics.

I'm not saying that you or anybody else has to listen to rap or enjoy it. I mean, I'm not really a huge rap guy myself, but I at least respect that there actually is a good deal of artistry that can go into it.

Perfect. :)

Old school rap is pretty awesome, and has some kickass tunes!

There ARE very skilled musicians in the rap game. Not all generalizations apply.

• Like 4

I'll just borrow this riff from Jamie's Crying by Van Halen and see if people dig it. Loop this 4 second riff over and over again with a drum machine and... viola! I think I'll call it... a song.

:dweez: :atickhum: :7up:

:LOL:

• Like 1

I believe "ripping off" or "borrowing" or "giving homage" is inherently rock and roll, inherently popular music.

Melodies and riffs are constantly being recycled.

Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin (and many, many others) ripped off riffs and melodies time and time again. Rap and Hip Hop artists cut to the chase and use samples. Personally, I don't think it's that big a deal.

Good music and bad music. It's contained in all popular genres.

I loved the Cars when I was a young one. I never cared they blatantly ripped off a Beatles riff. And I never cared about what the Beatles ripped off.

• Like 2

Rap really did ruin everything good musically. Let's see... melody? Don't want any of that. I'll just talk fast and monotone. OK, music, music.... hmm. I don't know how to play an instrument. I'll just borrow this riff from Jamie's Crying by Van Halen and see if people dig it. Loop this 4 second riff over and over again with a drum machine and... viola! I think I'll call it... a song. But what should I sing... I mean... talk about? Politics, religion, love, something deeper... no wait! I'll talk about me and how great I am!

Lots of uninformed and outdated generalizations here.

First off, who says that all music has to be based on melody to be good? If you are listening to rap for the melody, then yeah you probably aren't going to like it. A lot of rap is fully percussive music. Everything from the drums to the instrumental tracks to the rapper's flow is all working towards a percussive effect. It's sort of like how a good drum solo works, only with voices.

Secondly, it's not a rule that in order to make rap music, you must be incapable of playing an instrument. Sure, not every rapper can play an instrument, but nobody ever seems to call out rock lead singers who don't play instruments, and there are plenty of them too. Plenty of rappers are also very skilled record producers who write and perform their own music. The Rza, Dr. Dre, and even guys like Kanye West come to mind.

At it's best sampling can be a tool for the creation of new music from existent recordings. The Beastie Boys were particularly good at borrowing elements of other music and making them their own. It's really not all that different from when rock musicians borrow pieces from other compositions *coughlavillastrangiatocough*.

And then there are the lyrics. Please tell me more about how nobody from the 60's 70's or 80's rock scenes ever wrote braggadocios music about themselves, their sexual prowess, rampant drug use, or any of those other things that "rappers always talk about". Just like how not every rock band was Whitesnake (the band named after a penis), not every rapper just raps about themselves or how great they are. A lot of rap has very serious spiritual and emotional lyrics.

I'm not saying that you or anybody else has to listen to rap or enjoy it. I mean, I'm not really a huge rap guy myself, but I at least respect that there actually is a good deal of artistry that can go into it.

Yeah, the good Rap artists are talented guys. Has

If you've ever seen someone like Eminem freestyle, it's quite impressive. And bands like Public Enemy were quite political and smart. As bathory said, it's like using Warrant as an example of Heavy Metal. And people who don't like metal have , I'm sure.

• Like 1

hey motherf**ker, bowling IS a sport!!! :rage:

Let me splain.

I don't refer to competitions as sports if the following:

It is judged - While figure skating and gymnastics take great skill and talent, if you don't know who won until 5 people discuss it and tell you, it ain't a sport.

My play does not affect your play - Sports to me are defined by us playing against each other. If I can play today, you play tomorrow and we compare scores or times, it ain't a sport. Golf, bowling, any type of race where you stay in a lane or go at different times, etc. These all require skill and hard work to develop it but with no "defense", not a sport.

Everyone must know they are playing - Fishing, hunting, not sports. Sports requires an equal playing field IMO.

Must require some physical ability - Chess, backgammon, poker... please.

And back on rap. It is my opinion only.You should be able to hum the melody of a song to someone and that person should have a chance to recognize it based on that.

Edited by KennyLee

hey motherf**ker, bowling IS a sport!!! :rage:

Let me splain.

I don't refer to competitions as sports if the following:

It is judged - While figure skating and gymnastics take great skill and talent, if you don't know who won until 5 people discuss it and tell you, it ain't a sport.

My play does not affect your play - Sports to me are defined by us playing against each other. If I can play today, you play tomorrow and we compare scores or times, it ain't a sport. Golf, bowling, any type of race where you stay in a lane or go at different times, etc. These all require skill and hard work to develop it but with no "defense", not a sport.

Everyone must know they are playing - Fishing, hunting, not sports. Sports requires an equal playing field IMO.

Must require some physical ability - Chess, backgammon, poker... please.

And back on rap. It is my opinion only.You should be able to hum the melody of a song to someone and that person should have a chance to recognize it based on that.

I was kidding about bowling

• Like 1

In New York city, radio in the late 70's was cool. WNEW-FM ( Classic Rock ). WPLJ was going strong too but they did play Foreigner ( which back then, were not bad ). 1977 below but both of these NY stations were going strong for years later.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/IMG_5457_zps75e3b1df.jpg

My dear man, in New York City, radio was always cool from the inception of FM stations! :) WPLJ started out as WABC FM in about 1967. The name of the DJ escapes me, but I was always writing him letters which he was gracious enough to answer. Probably thought to himself, "Here is that oddball kid again!" :LOL: WNEW FM got going at about the same time - our dear Allison Steele ("The Night Bird"), Scott Muni and Jonathan Schwartz with all of his bootleg albums that got him into trouble playing them on the air.

Those were the days!!! :ebert:

It was around late 98/early 99 when I had just turned 18. I had stopped watching MTV when they gave a middle finger to (good) rock music and music in general and turned into a PG13 version of Disney with boy groups and frat boy crap like Limp Bizkit.

Then, I thought it would all go away but it manages to get even lower. I'm not saying Spice Girls were great but they're freaking Pearl Jam, Tom Petty or :rush: compared to the crap out there now with not just pop but so called "rock" like Imagine Dragons and Maroon 5. I got into older stuff once I started college especially with older alternative acts like Cure,Depeche,U2,Smiths,Duran Duran and Police to name a few.