Best post-60's year for music

Rutlefan

For my tastes, 1991. Here's why:

My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless

Teenage Fanclub’s Bandwagonesque

Pixies’ Trompe Le Monde

REM's Out of Time (though next years Automatic for the People is even better)

U2's Achtung Baby

and of course, Nirvana’s Nevermind

Also helping the claim:

Metallica's Metallica

Guns n Roses Use Your Illusion I & II

Pearl Jam's Ten

Edit: Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual was released just a few months before '91. It was still pretty fresh in '91 though.

Edited by Rutlefan

With very little thought.... 1977. I was 17 and these came out.....

A Farewell To Kings

Going For The One

Let There Be Rock

Rumours

Aja

Sin After Sin

Animals

The Grand Illusion

The top 3 are my favorite albums by my favorite bands.... :haz:

There are probably others that I am not listing for 77'

Edit: Forgot Lights Out!!

Edited by Narpski

Not too far removed from the '60s, but I'm going to go with 1971- an absolute embarrassment of riches, as they say:

Joni Mitchell- Blue

James Taylor- Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon

The Allman Brothers Band- At Fillmore East (they also started recording Eat a Peach in late '71)

Neil Young- Harvest (recorded in 1971, released in January of '72)

Led Zeppelin's untitled fourth album

Little Feat- Sailin' Shoes

The Doors- LA Woman

David Crosby- If I Could Only Remember My Name

The Rolling Stones- Sticky Fingers

The debut album from Hound Dog Taylor and the Houserockers (I'm not kidding!)

And so many others who were playing and recording that year, in several different genres- Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Frank Zappa, Miles Davis' crazy electric experimentations, Charles Mingus was still active then...so many others that I'm surely forgetting.

• Like 1

Not too far removed from the '60s, but I'm going to go with 1971- an absolute embarrassment of riches, as they say:

Joni Mitchell- Blue

The Allman Brothers Band- At Fillmore East (they also started recording Eat a Peach in late '71)

The Doors- LA Woman

And so many others who were playing and recording that year, in several different genres- Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Frank Zappa, Miles Davis' crazy electric experimentations, Charles Mingus was still active then...so many others that I'm surely forgetting.

Didn´t Yes release an album in 1971 as well?

Joni Mitchell- Blue

The Doors- LA Woman

yes album and fragile I thought

Joni Mitchell- Blue

The Doors- LA Woman

Correct and wow in one year.....

I figured the early '70s would have some really good years. People who claim there was nothing good about the '70s overlook not only the music, but the movies: Godfather(s), French Connection, Deliverance, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Clockwork Orange, Animal House, The Exorcist, The Deer Hunter, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Alien, Young Frankenstein, all those pre-wrinkle Moore Bond movies, etc. Bad suits and hair, lots o' herpies, and a couple little things called Vietnam and Watergate, but a good time for music and movies. Edited by Rutlefan

No contest - 1978!

AC/DC - Powerage And If You Want Blood ... You've Got It.

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope

UFO - Obession

Judas Priest - Stained Class

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

and of course Hemispheres.

• Like 1

No contest - 1978!

AC/DC - Powerage And If You Want Blood ... You've Got It.

Van Halen - Van Halen

The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope

UFO - Obession

Judas Priest - Stained Class

Thin Lizzy - Live & Dangerous

Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

and of course Hemispheres.

It was a great year. Also......

Yes - Tormato

Foreigner - Double Vision

Journey - Infinity

Styx - Pieces Of Eight

Scorpions - Taken By Force

Blondie - Parallel Lines

Queen - Jazz

I think this might actually be better than my choice of 1977..... :huh: :cheers:

For me, two great years for music were

1985:

Power Windows (Rush)

Dead Mans Party (Oingo Boingo)

They Might Be Giants Demo Tape (They Might Be Giants)

plus a big load of catchy 80s synth stuff

and

Clockwork Angels (Rush)

The Midsummer Station (Owl City)

Album Raises New And Troubling Questions (They Might Be Giants)

Centipede HZ (Animal Collective)

plus a better crop of tolerable songs on the pop charts.

Yes, I knew Yes did as well, but I didn't know which one (or two)...to be honest, I've never been into Yes that much. :blush:

Joni Mitchell- Blue

The Doors- LA Woman

Correct and wow in one year.....

And another one to add to '71 that I forgot:

The Who- Who's Next

(Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, and Won't Get Fooled Again on the same record? Ridiculous!)

And how could I have forgotten, Marvin Gaye- What's Going On?

I'm going to add both of these to my original post in this thread now.

Ack! Except I can't, because I posted it yesterday! We ought to be able to modify things for longer than that!

Edited by Blue J

I figured the early '70s would have some really good years. People who claim there was nothing good about the '70s overlook not only the music, but the movies: Godfather(s), French Connection, Deliverance, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Clockwork Orange, Animal House, The Exorcist, The Deer Hunter, Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Alien, Young Frankenstein, all those pre-wrinkle Moore Bond movies, etc. Bad suits and hair, lots o' herpies, and a couple little things called Vietnam and Watergate, but a good time for music and movies.

has anyone EVER said there was nothing good about the 70s??? the only music fans I know who usually hate the 70s are usually really big indie fans - I know one dude on a forum that no longer exists said the 70s were the worst decade for music cause most of the bands were "sexist" and "over-indulgent," but of course this assface only likes coffee shop acoustic shit and pop punk like green day (because it has "soul") so f**k him

"has anyone EVER said there was nothing good about the 70s???" ... no, no one in the history of the world has ever said that. Oh wait, I do recall some saying that, which is why I mentioned them.

" the only music fans I know who usually hate the 70s are usually really big indie fans" ... that's exactly who. It might seem like a distant memory now (though I don't know how old you are), but back in the early '80s, the "in" crowd (imagine the hipster subculture being the norm -- at least in my high school, "jocks" and "freaks" were the outliers. and "geeks" were socially invisible before the iPhone, like all those early '80s John Hughes movies) acted like music was saved by punk and New Wave, and everything before punk (going back to mid late '60s), with few exceptions like VU, Television, Modern Lovers or Pere Ubu, was overblown, grotesque, ridiculous hippy pretension. I remember reading an article in a major music mag in the early '80s that not only blessed the burial of Led Zeppelin (no decent person will ever listen to them again), but guitar rock in general. I remember Joe Strummer saying that even looking at a Led Zeppelin album cover (I think he mentioned HotH specifically) makes him want to throw up. Seems ridiculous now but that was the mood then. As a kid who grew up worshiping these bands, I felt a bit like a musical leper, though I did have an F-you attitude about it when my Joe Jackson and Police-loving friends would mock Rush and Zeppelin.

Culturally, I used to meet people all the time who dismissed the '70s as a blight best forgotten. It's to them I would point out that it is arguably the best decade for American movies (if you're into movies). I assumed they're not into music (classic rock anyway) or they wouldn't have said that in the first place.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 1

"has anyone EVER said there was nothing good about the 70s???" ... no, no one in the history of the world has ever said that. Oh wait, I do recall some saying that, which is why I mentioned them.

" the only music fans I know who usually hate the 70s are usually really big indie fans" ... that's exactly who. It might seem like a distant memory now (though I don't know how old you are), but back in the early '80s, the "in" crowd (imagine the hipster subculture being the norm -- at least in my high school, "jocks" and "freaks" were the outliers. and "geeks" were socially invisible before the iPhone, like all those early '80s John Hughes movies) acted like music was saved by punk and New Wave, and everything before punk (going back to mid late '60s), with few exceptions like VU, Television, Modern Lovers or Pere Ubu, was overblown, grotesque, ridiculous hippy pretension. I remember reading an article in a major music mag in the early '80s that not only blessed the burial of Led Zeppelin (no decent person will ever listen to them again), but guitar rock in general. I remember Joe Strummer saying that even looking at a Led Zeppelin album cover (I think he mentioned HotH specifically) makes him want to throw up. Seems ridiculous now but that was the mood then. As a kid who grew up worshiping these bands, I felt a bit like a musical leper, though I did have an F-you attitude about it when my Joe Jackson and Police-loving friends would mock Rush and Zeppelin.

Culturally, I used to meet people all the time who dismissed the '70s as a blight best forgotten. It's to them I would point out that it is arguably the best decade for American movies (if you're into movies). I assumed they're not into music (classic rock anyway) or they wouldn't have said that in the first place.

yeah, but look where all the new york punk hipster heroin addict dipshits ended up - one good record and they all died or retired or sold the songs to commercials to get more heroin. f**k em!

I'm only 18 but I've read enough rock journalism (where music starts with the velvet underground and ends with pavement) and encountered enough fucktard music fans to know exactly what you're talking about. a bunch of coffee house morons walking around pretending to like jack kerouac and misusing the word "pretentious" to describe all songs longer than two minutes that don't feature any ambient noise.

I hate to generalize but indie and punk fans in general are just some of the most close-minded fools out there. and this is coming from someone who loves a lot of that music, but I just cannot stand the fanbase.

has anyone EVER said there was nothing good about the 70s??? the only music fans I know who usually hate the 70s are usually really big indie fans - I know one dude on a forum that no longer exists said the 70s were the worst decade for music cause most of the bands were "sexist" and "over-indulgent," but of course this assface only likes coffee shop acoustic shit and pop punk like green day (because it has "soul") so f**k him

Sure, there was sexist and overindulgent stuff in the 70s, but there was also punk. And nothing can be further from overindulgent than (real) punk music—three chords, 2 minutes, a ton of energy.

• Like 1

Sure, there was sexist and overindulgent stuff in the 70s, but there was also punk. And nothing can be further from overindulgent than (real) punk music—three chords, 2 minutes, a ton of energy.

sometimes I don't think there's anything more indulgent than some guy with pink hair and safety pins all over him writing a list of complaints and shouting them. but I've never cared about whether something's indulgent or not

I love a ton of 70s punk rock (richard hell, buzzcocks, wipers, wire, the damned, etc), I was just bitching about the attitudes of punk/indie fans who ONLY like punk and indie. it's kinda like the rush fans who are so obsessed with technicality and musicianship that they end up only digging prog and writing everything else off as "music for simpletons"

I've just dealt with too many people who want to be a mix of jack kerouac and robert christgau who rubbed me the wrong way, lol

Wow...and you've told me that I need to relax?

For the record, I know plenty of people who have said there was nothing good about the 1970s- namely those who had to live through them. The '70s were a depressing time on a lot of fronts. I wasn't even born until 1973, so my memories of life in the '70s are of innocence and fun. And now, I just get to pick and choose the great music from it, to listen to, and leave the realities behind. :)

I'm with you on this bathory (if that IS your real name! -- joking of course), I'm just older and tireder (sometimes bad grammar serves a point) to really care much. A few years ago I joined a Radiohead forum but didn't stay long as I quickly realized I like Radiohead infintiely more than people who are enthusiastic about Radiohead. I thought about joining the Wire forum but realized that since I wasn't an ex-wanna be Beat Poet now wanna be Marxist philosopher that I probably wouldn't fit in. Same goes for most bands I like I suppose.

Funny article that kind of frames all this (and I love Yo La Tengo, but what this says about their fan base is really true) ...

http://www.theonion....la-tengo-c,116/

Edit: had to include these excerpts:

ATHENS, GA—Thirty-seven record-store clerks are missing and feared dead in the aftermath of a partial roof collapse during a Yo La Tengo concert Monday.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/116/onion_news324_1_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpgDazed record-store clerks stagger away from the scene of the roof collapse.

"We're trying our best to rescue these clerks, but, realistically, there's not a lot of hope," said emergency worker Len Guzman, standing outside the 40 Watt Club, where the tragedy occurred. "These people are simply not in the physical condition to survive this sort of trauma. It's just a twisted mass of black-frame glasses and ironic Girl Scouts T-shirts in there."

"I haven't seen this much senseless hipster carnage since the Great Sebadoh Fire Of '93," said rescue worker Larry Kolterman, finding a green-and-gold suede Puma sneaker in the rubble. "It's such a shame that all those bastions of indie-rock geekitude had to go in their prime. Their cries of 'sellout' have been forever silenced."

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

I'm with you on this bathory (if that IS your real name! -- joking of course), I'm just older and tireder (sometimes bad grammar serves a point) to really care much. A few years ago I joined a Radiohead forum but didn't stay long as I quickly realized I like Radiohead infintiely more than people who are enthusiastic about Radiohead. I thought about joining the Wire forum but realized that since I wasn't an ex-wanna be Beat Poet now wanna be Marxist philosopher that I probably wouldn't fit in. Same goes for most bands I like I suppose.

Funny article that kind of frames all this (and I love Yo La Tengo, but what this says about their fan base is really true) ...

http://www.theonion....la-tengo-c,116/

Edit: had to include these excerpts:

ATHENS, GA—Thirty-seven record-store clerks are missing and feared dead in the aftermath of a partial roof collapse during a Yo La Tengo concert Monday.

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/116/onion_news324_1_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpgDazed record-store clerks stagger away from the scene of the roof collapse.

"We're trying our best to rescue these clerks, but, realistically, there's not a lot of hope," said emergency worker Len Guzman, standing outside the 40 Watt Club, where the tragedy occurred. "These people are simply not in the physical condition to survive this sort of trauma. It's just a twisted mass of black-frame glasses and ironic Girl Scouts T-shirts in there."

"I haven't seen this much senseless hipster carnage since the Great Sebadoh Fire Of '93," said rescue worker Larry Kolterman, finding a green-and-gold suede Puma sneaker in the rubble. "It's such a shame that all those bastions of indie-rock geekitude had to go in their prime. Their cries of 'sellout' have been forever silenced."

:laughing guy:

Wow...and you've told me that I need to relax?

For the record, I know plenty of people who have said there was nothing good about the 1970s- namely those who had to live through them. The '70s were a depressing time on a lot of fronts. I wasn't even born until 1973, so my memories of life in the '70s are of innocence and fun. And now, I just get to pick and choose the great music from it, to listen to, and leave the realities behind. :)

I'm talkin about 70s music.