Clockwork Angels Vinyl Question

Apollo

Has anyone else had a defective copy? The first time I played this record, I had a skip during Caravan. I have cleaned the record to the point where there is no dust or anything on it and it looks perfect. But I get a skip now during the title track (song 3 of side 1) where that didn't skip before. It is driving me crazy, I just got a record player and have only maybe played maybe 20 records on it, could I have a stylus problem? How quick do they wear out?

Has anyone else had a defective copy? The first time I played this record, I had a skip during Caravan. I have cleaned the record to the point where there is no dust or anything on it and it looks perfect. But I get a skip now during the title track (song 3 of side 1) where that didn't skip before. It is driving me crazy, I just got a record player and have only maybe played maybe 20 records on it, could I have a stylus problem? How quick do they wear out?

You actually have an LP that is playing on a stereo? If so, and this is happening, you may need a new needle. Or maybe you got a lemon of a record player. Might also be the weight of the arm is too light. Or maybe they don't make vinyl records as well as they used to. Is the record thin?

My copy plays just fine.

Tell me, what make and modfel of record player do you have?

Audio Technica model AT-LP60USB. I exchanged the LP yesterday for a different new copy and have the exact same symptoms. I had a skip in Caravan and Clockwork Angels at the exact same places. Just like the first copy, I cleaned the record and the skip in Caravan is gone but the one in Clockwork Angels is still there, at exactly the same place it was in my first copy. This seems extremely bizarre, I have played probably a dozen other records on this player with no issues.

If it was only the first copy that was skipping, naturally, I would suggest exchanging the disk. Since you've done that, my recommendation like some of the others on this post, is to adjust your tonearm weight. Now, having only seen your new turntable in a picture online, do you have that capability? Combined with the pressing techniques of new 180 g vinyl, there is a genuine possibility that the needle is riding over the ridge because there isn't enough weight to make it sit in the groove. Again, this is all hypothesis. I'm also basing this theory on my experience of having disks that didn't play right. I have an adjustable tonearm, so I rectified the problem with a little bit of tweaking and put a bit more downwards pressure on the needle (not so much that I wear out the disk I might add).

Good luck!

My copy plays just fine.

Audio Technica model AT-LP60USB. I exchanged the LP yesterday for a different new copy and have the exact same symptoms. I had a skip in Caravan and Clockwork Angels at the exact same places. Just like the first copy, I cleaned the record and the skip in Caravan is gone but the one in Clockwork Angels is still there, at exactly the same place it was in my first copy. This seems extremely bizarre, I have played probably a dozen other records on this player with no issues.

Your stylus is fine. It sounds like a pressing/mold issue. You don't have a VTA (vertical tracking alignment) adjustment on your tone arm, so patjnev's idea of placing a very light weight (2-3grams) on the cartridge might work out. Start light and work your way heavier in increments, or else you'll wear out your stylus.

If it was only the first copy that was skipping, naturally, I would suggest exchanging the disk. Since you've done that, my recommendation like some of the others on this post, is to adjust your tonearm weight. Now, having only seen your new turntable in a picture online, do you have that capability? Combined with the pressing techniques of new 180 g vinyl, there is a genuine possibility that the needle is riding over the ridge because there isn't enough weight to make it sit in the groove. Again, this is all hypothesis. I'm also basing this theory on my experience of having disks that didn't play right. I have an adjustable tonearm, so I rectified the problem with a little bit of tweaking and put a bit more downwards pressure on the needle (not so much that I wear out the disk I might add).

Good luck!

What's your tt, King?

This album has lots of bass and on turntables without very good tone arm balance it can jump out of the groove during loud bass. More weight will help but exceeding the recommended weight will wear out your stylus early. You should get a few hundred hours from a stylus.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! Unfortunately none of them seem to work. I cleaned the record and it still skipped. I tried a penny and then a nickel on the stylus and the skip keeps happening. Should I try anything heavier or is a nickel pushing it? I guess I will have to take it back to the store again, this really must be a bad batch since it has happened on two different copies and in the exact same place. Any other ideas, I really would like to have this great album on vinyl, this whole thing is very frustrating. Edited by Apollo

My copy plays just fine.

Audio Technica model AT-LP60USB.

I hate to tell you this but there is no point in pulling punches. That turntable is little more than a cheap plastic toy. It's barely capable of playing any record correctly and you should change it for something suitable for the task sooner rather than later.

I'm not telling you this to upset you, but because your fledgling adventure with vinyl is in danger of being derailed because of it. Look at buying a second hand Rega or Music Hall deck, or a vintage Pioneer or Technics in good order. Then you will actually understand why vinyl is worth persevering with :)

Edited by Smegger68
  • Like 1

My copy plays just fine.

Audio Technica model AT-LP60USB.

I hate to tell you this but there is no point in pulling punches. That turntable is little more than a cheap plastic toy. It's barely capable of playing any record correctly and you should change it for something suitable for the task sooner rather than later.

I'm not telling you this to upset you, but because your fledgling adventure with vinyl is in danger of being derailed because of it. Look at buying a second hand Rega or Music Hall deck, or a vintage Pioneer or Technics in good order. Then you will actually understand why vinyl is worth persevering with :)

Unfortunately I am learning more and more that you are right. I got this player to digitize my LP collection and hear for myself what people say about LPs sounding better than CDs. Like many others, I am disgusted at the loudness war of the last 10-15 years. This Audio Technica player has no volume control and for some crazy reason doesn't use the preamp when using the USB connection so all my recordings are super low and have to be artificially amplified. Even with that I can tell there is better sound in some ways but yea, this player is not the greatest.

The whole idea of USB turntables is ridiculous anyway. Take a line out of your amp (or preamp) into the line in socket on your sound card. Simple as that. No USB connection required. Download Audacity for free and you're done.
  • Like 1

The whole idea of USB turntables is ridiculous anyway. Take a line out of your amp (or preamp) into the line in socket on your sound card. Simple as that. No USB connection required. Download Audacity for free and you're done.

I thought of that but all the audio snobs say that the line in and A/D converters on built in motherboard sound cards suck. I really don't want to invest $250+ for a good record player especially after spending $110 on the one I have now so I compromised and ordered a new sound card, one that also has the digital in I have wanted forever so I can make perfect audio copies of some of my old laserdisc concerts that have never come out on DVD.

Unfortunately none of this helps my playing of Clockwork Angels, I will have to see if any of my friends have another record player to try.

Edited by Apollo

I own every album on lp from the first up to presto then ABC 1974, Moving Pictures Live, Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails and I prefer the lp sound of them to cd. My Clockwork lp plays fine though.

Truthfully, I think most Rush albums sound better in cd anyhow.

No. Very much no.

Unless you have a decent system, then yes. My Linn Sondek/Dynavector sysem only just does the albums justice. Anytyhing less will have too much noise to best to the cd version.

Um.. Tape some pennies to the arm? Kinda weird reading about record problems on my iPad. I miss the 70's!

I haven't played my copy of CA yet, kinda just started collecting vinyl. Still need to collect myself a turntable lol.

I love the vinyl threads though because I learn ;). Carry on..

I don't know if this has anything to do with my past problems but I played a brand new record once since my last post and it was fine. When I play it again now my needle is skipping like crazy during any blank sound part (like at the beginning and end of a side or in between songs). Is my needle dead, what the heck is going on? Vinyl seems to be even more of a hassle than I remember in the good old days.

I don't know if this has anything to do with my past problems but I played a brand new record once since my last post and it was fine. When I play it again now my needle is skipping like crazy during any blank sound part (like at the beginning and end of a side or in between songs). Is my needle dead, what the heck is going on? Vinyl seems to be even more of a hassle than I remember in the good old days.

Yes - it sounds like your stylus (needle) needs to be cleaned or, more likely, replaced. Depending on what cartridge you have, it may be just as cost effective to replace the whole cartridge.