Autism

GhostGirl

as horrified as i am to learn this, i am glad you posted it.

tim gets sent to "Time Out" often.

in his K2 class, Time Out was a cubicle in the corner of the room with comfortable furniture but nothing to look at.

he's in a new, older-kids' class now, and i'm not sure what Time Out looks like. unsure.gif

up until this point, i have trusted the teacher's judgement. wacko.gif

but i don't know how often he goes, how long he stays, or what it is like.

i guess i'll be taking a surprise tour soon...

sad.gif rose.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 17 2008, 09:55 PM)

sad.gif rose.gif

yes, go---definitely go. And if there's anything shady going on...you just let us know...we'll start putting some teachers in time out!

I dont understand the point of time out for kids like ours...it mostly wouldn't help...just makes them more anxious i'd think

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 17 2008, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 17 2008, 09:55 PM)

sad.gif rose.gif

yes, go---definitely go. And if there's anything shady going on...you just let us know...we'll start putting some teachers in time out!

I dont understand the point of time out for kids like ours...it mostly wouldn't help...just makes them more anxious i'd think

laugh.gif put the teachers in time out z7shysterical.gif i think i could enjoy some time out now and again, too! laugh.gif

Tim gets overload sometimes. It helps him to get away from other noisy kids and bright lights to just regroup for a few minutes.

The thought never occurred to me that someone would lock him in a closet and call it "time out". i am mortified. scared.gif

QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 17 2008, 11:46 PM)

laugh.gif put the teachers in time out z7shysterical.gif i think i could enjoy some time out now and again, too! laugh.gif

Tim gets overload sometimes. It helps him to get away from other noisy kids and bright lights to just regroup for a few minutes.

The thought never occurred to me that someone would lock him in a closet and call it "time out". i am mortified. scared.gif

Dont you dare feel mortified...we trust because we have to, and you have no reason to feel badly...you check it out now, and settle your soul.

and try to get the time out you need-you deserve it...I'm having it right now! Sex and the City and a glass of red wine...that's my time out!

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 17 2008, 10:11 PM)
QUOTE (Rolinda Bonz @ Dec 17 2008, 11:46 PM)

laugh.gif  put the teachers in time out z7shysterical.gif  i think i could enjoy some time out now and again, too!  laugh.gif

Tim gets overload sometimes.  It helps him to get away from other noisy kids and bright lights to just regroup for a few minutes.

The thought never occurred to me that someone would lock him in a closet and call it "time out".  i am mortified. scared.gif

Dont you dare feel mortified...we trust because we have to, and you have no reason to feel badly...you check it out now, and settle your soul.

and try to get the time out you need-you deserve it...I'm having it right now! Sex and the City and a glass of red wine...that's my time out!

that sounds like a great idea! trink39.gif

Hi to all my friends here in the Autism thread. Life and work have both been busy and have interferred with my TRF usage, and I apologize. I will try to stay more active in 2009.

Onto other things....Tony is now in a radio commercial...well actually the whole family is in it. As most of you know I work at a radio station. Sharon and the kids, including Tony, helped out on a recent Little Caesar's commercial. It's pretty cute. Here's the link to listen to it

Little Caesars Pizza Commercial

The first part of the commercial is Sharon and me. Then a female announcer from the radio station. The three kids are then our daughter Holly, our son Brandon, then Tony (saying Me Too!). It took SEVERAL takes in the studio for us to get that "me too" from Tony. It's running on our 3 stations here through then end of January. Everytime I hear it on the radio (like when I'm driving) I get a little misty at Tony's "me too". I'm proud of the whole family in the ad (it was Sharon and Brandon's first commercial too; Holly's been in three or four now).

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Dec 17 2008, 02:20 PM)
Just read this story... I can't believe this is happening in our schools !!!

angry.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/17/seclusion.rooms/index.html

If I ever find out that my son has been put into one of these rooms, someone at that school will wish they'd never seen my son. This makes me so angry and it didn't even happen to my child. Putting a child with a learning disability into seclusion does nothing to help the child.

That's awful, but I'm really not surprised. I think that sometimes it escalates in the classroom, because all the other kids are making noise or moving and I think Autisic kids can get over stimulated which can heighten any agressive actions. I know when there's lots of activity at home Tony gets a bit agitated, and will usually try to find a quiet room to get away. But when you're in a classroom with 8-12 kids, with no where to go. confused13.gif

I'm pretty confident they do not incorporate anything like that here. I'd hate to think that Tony would be subjected to something like that.

It's night and day different from how the mentally ill were treated even 30-40 years ago.

Just curious about whether or not anyone knows much about Dr. Temple Grandin. She's a high-functioning autistic (possibly Asperger's) who managed to get her degree in veterinary medicine.

She works with livestock, and her observations led her to develop a sort of "hug box" that she uses to calm herself.

I read about her years ago in one of my horseracing mags, and at the time was blown away that someone with autism had accomplished so much. Now I know more about autism and that there are in fact different "levels" of functionality; at the time I remember thinking that all sufferers were kinda like Rain Man. . .

Still, a DVM degree is a challenge for so-called "normal" people to attain. . .

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 21 2009, 10:13 PM)
Just curious about whether or not anyone knows much about Dr. Temple Grandin. She's a high-functioning autistic (possibly Asperger's) who managed to get her degree in veterinary medicine.
She works with livestock, and her observations led her to develop a sort of "hug box" that she uses to calm herself.
I read about her years ago in one of my horseracing mags, and at the time was blown away that someone with autism had accomplished so much. Now I know more about autism and that there are in fact different "levels" of functionality; at the time I remember thinking that all sufferers were kinda like Rain Man. . .

Still, a DVM degree is a challenge for so-called "normal" people to attain. . .

Temple Grandin is a pretty famous person in autism circles. She actually was quite affected as a child but through lots of therapy she was able to emerge from that world, for the most part.

She's a fascinating person - thanks for mentioning her, Mara!

As many of you know, Tony utilizes echolalia for a lot of his communication, and we've been trying to correct him and make him use proper responses when people ask him a question or say something to him.

Sharon dropped Tony off at school yesterday and one his aides said the day before she had asked Tony what he was doing and he did not respond. When she went up and put her arm around him and asked him again, Tony said "I'm checking my boxes".

Now that might sound odd, but Tony's 'job' when he gets to school each day is to gather up the cardboard boxes and break them down for recycling. He walks independently to the area where they are, and I've watched him do this job. He takes it very seriously, and gets upset if he doesn't get to do it.

It's another small victory, but another baby step in the right direction. At that moment, everything was firing right and he made the correct response. wub.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jan 23 2009, 07:00 AM)
As many of you know, Tony utilizes echolalia for a lot of his communication, and we've been trying to correct him and make him use proper responses when people ask him a question or say something to him.

Sharon dropped Tony off at school yesterday and one his aides said the day before she had asked Tony what he was doing and he did not respond. When she went up and put her arm around him and asked him again, Tony said "I'm checking my boxes".

Now that might sound odd, but Tony's 'job' when he gets to school each day is to gather up the cardboard boxes and break them down for recycling. He walks independently to the area where they are, and I've watched him do this job. He takes it very seriously, and gets upset if he doesn't get to do it.

It's another small victory, but another baby step in the right direction. At that moment, everything was firing right and he made the correct response. wub.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif applaudit.gif for Tony, and here's hoping these moments become more and more common!

CGOB - that is FANTASTIC. Big hugs for Tony. Breaking through that echolalia is a huge step. Right now Stephen is doing more and more of that, but from what I've learned, kids who use echolalia are more likely to form meaningful speech sometime down the road. Right now Stephen's appropriate responses are pretty much limited to "no" when asked certain questions - but he does sometimes make choices when asked what he wants to do at school or on the playground.

I am SO glad for you guys! hug2.gif

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Dec 17 2008, 04:29 PM)
sadly, I've heard these tales before. They do not, to my knowledge, happen in my son's school

I did, however, remove Daniel from preschool many years ago because they often kept him in a restraint chair, as well insisted he needed Ritalin. I'm still pissed about that, and it was 10 or so years ago.

Thankfully, his neurologist stepped in, and we pulled him out. However, the school did try some aggressive tactics to try to make me keep him there.

But kids like ours "get out of hand" and they call the psych ward of the hospital and the cops and take EIGHT year olds out in handcuffs...just happened this past year here in Staten Island.

I'm not saying there arent kids with behavioral issues that may indeed get out of hand and be too much for an overwhelmed teacher to handle, but the problem is they lump every kid with a disability together, and just expect kids with disabilities to have behavioral problems, but it just isnt so.

Its very sad, and its why we parents are so insanely protective. People dont understand our children's outbursts, and they get funny looks and they dismiss them as "crazy".

and it hurts, a lot, when people do that.

Restraint chair? Do they make those for girlfriends and wives??? Sounds like a good gift for that special someone...

Seriously, that's messed up. I didn't know they could do that to an innocent child. I have three different friends with autistic kids and I love all of them. What a crime to tie them down like that...

QUOTE (EveryNerveAware @ Dec 17 2008, 02:20 PM)
Just read this story... I can't believe this is happening in our schools !!!

angry.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/12/17/seclusion.rooms/index.html

If I ever find out that my son has been put into one of these rooms, someone at that school will wish they'd never seen my son. This makes me so angry and it didn't even happen to my child. Putting a child with a learning disability into seclusion does nothing to help the child.

Amen to that. That crap could turn this ever-so gentle friendly masked drummer into a pIssed off HULK in a New York minute. To do that to those kids who really need the love and attention is a crime. That must scare those kids to death! rage.gif

QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Jan 23 2009, 07:00 AM)

Sharon dropped Tony off at school yesterday and one his aides said the day before she had asked Tony what he was doing and he did not respond.  When she went up and put her arm around him and asked him again, Tony said "I'm checking my boxes".

Now that might sound odd, but Tony's 'job' when he gets to school each day is to gather up the cardboard boxes and break them down for recycling.  He walks independently to the area where they are, and I've watched him do this job.  He takes it very seriously, and gets upset if he doesn't get to do it. 

It's another small victory, but another baby step in the right direction.  At that moment, everything was firing right and he made the correct response.  wub.gif

Fantastic stuff! There is comfort in the "give and take" of a conversation that is not appreciated by most. When the conversation is echoed back at you it's so disconcerting!

Daniel still does something like it...except now its just teenage back talk! LOL

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif WTG Tony! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif great job! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 23 2009, 11:27 AM)
Restraint chair? Do they make those for girlfriends and wives??? Sounds like a good gift for that special someone...
Seriously, that's messed up. I didn't know they could do that to an innocent child. I have three different friends with autistic kids and I love all of them. What a crime to tie them down like that...

ha! yes well...something about fuzzy handcuffs might be better suited for that special someone tongue.gif

it was not at all cool, "its for the child's safety" yeah yeah

Let me be clearer--he wasnt tied in to the chair, it was more like a high chair type thing, with a lap belt and a tray, but he was 3-4 years old...admittedly, Daniel was a runner back then...and a clever (humanoid?) escapee...but really, shut the door, dont lock him down

I already posted about Stephen's great haircut but I had to mention it here too - he has jumped a huge, monumental hurdle by learning to sit calmly through what used to be a horrifying experience for him. I couldn't be prouder. And of course, here are pics biggrin.gif

Before and after:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0110091800a.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0124090959.jpg

Also, while I'm bragging... Stephen participated in a Special Olympics event last week. He went bowling, and he won 2nd place. wub.gif They use a special ramp for him so he doesn't have to lift the ball. So I'm a proud mama in the truest sense of the word. Here's his ribbon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0124090959a.jpg

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 24 2009, 10:42 PM)
I already posted about Stephen's great haircut but I had to mention it here too - he has jumped a huge, monumental hurdle by learning to sit calmly through what used to be a horrifying experience for him. I couldn't be prouder. And of course, here are pics biggrin.gif

Before and after:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0110091800a.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0124090959.jpg

Also, while I'm bragging... Stephen participated in a Special Olympics event last week. He went bowling, and he won 2nd place. wub.gif They use a special ramp for him so he doesn't have to lift the ball. So I'm a proud mama in the truest sense of the word. Here's his ribbon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/0124090959a.jpg

2nd place - how awesome! Truly, I have more respect for Special Olympians than I do for most of the participants in the regular Olympic Games. For one thing, I've never heard of a Special Olympics participant being disqualified for doping. eh.gif

And that haircut suits him. What a cutie, and what a triumph!

Thank you so much, Mara. heart.gif

I'm sure there are horror stories in this very thread about haircuts...I still can't believe he has come so far with this.

Also, I almost forgot to mention, we have an appointment next week with the most comprehensive autism treatment center in Alabama - we've been on the waiting list for a year. We have high hopes. I'll keep y'all posted.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 24 2009, 11:56 PM)
Thank you so much, Mara. heart.gif

I'm sure there are horror stories in this very thread about haircuts...I still can't believe he has come so far with this.

Also, I almost forgot to mention, we have an appointment next week with the most comprehensive autism treatment center in Alabama - we've been on the waiting list for a year. We have high hopes. I'll keep y'all posted.

this appointment is HUGE!

looking forward to hearing about the outcome of this.

all my love & positive energy is with you all...

hug2.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Jan 25 2009, 06:41 AM)
Thank you so much, Mara.  heart.gif

Also, I almost forgot to mention, we have an appointment next week with the most comprehensive autism treatment center in Alabama - we've been on the waiting list for a year.  We have high hopes.  I'll keep y'all posted.

hug2.gif

Thank you hon. That means a lot to me. hug2.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 25 2009, 09:15 AM)

Also, I almost forgot to mention, we have an appointment next week with the most comprehensive autism treatment center in Alabama - we've been on the waiting list for a year.  We have high hopes.  I'll keep y'all posted.

hug2.gif

GG - Great new with the hair cut that is such a huge step! hug2.gif

Congrats on the 2nd place! cheer.gif cheer.gif WONDERFUL! cheer.gif

I hope you don't mind if I ask, how is he with the bowling? I have talked to a few parents, who have child at different levels on the spectrum and bowling seem to be the one activity that their children can do with out much issue. I was amazed by this with all the noises that happen with bowling, the children seem to maintain that focus on what they need to do.

Even our Danielle has shown such improvement since we signed her up, but other than - parental input I haven't found much else on it.

I'm glad the long awaited appointment is coming up for you. That is another huge step - I will send positive thoughts your way for the appointment and wait to hear how it went. hug2.gif

QUOTE (owlswing @ Jan 25 2009, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 25 2009, 09:15 AM)

hug2.gif

GG - Great new with the hair cut that is such a huge step! hug2.gif

Congrats on the 2nd place! cheer.gif cheer.gif WONDERFUL! cheer.gif

I hope you don't mind if I ask, how is he with the bowling? I have talked to a few parents, who have child at different levels on the spectrum and bowling seem to be the one activity that their children can do with out much issue. I was amazed by this with all the noises that happen with bowling, the children seem to maintain that focus on what they need to do.

Even our Danielle has shown such improvement since we signed her up, but other than - parental input I haven't found much else on it.

I'm glad the long awaited appointment is coming up for you. That is another huge step - I will send positive thoughts your way for the appointment and wait to hear how it went. hug2.gif

You know, D, I've wondered the same thing about all the noise and confusion, and why Stephen does so well with bowling. I think for him, watching the ball roll and the pins fall is probably really exciting. I'd be willing to bet that he stands there with his fingers in his ears most of the time (which he does frequently in lots of situations) just to filter out some of the sensory input. But he's learned that he gets two turns, and then he waits for his friends to bowl. That's a big lesson to learn for him.

Thanks as always for your love and support - and give D a special hug from me. wub.gif

Has anyone here read The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Nighttime, by Mark Haddon?

I highly recommend. I read it a few years back. It's a "murder-mystery" written from the point of view of a teenaged autistic boy. It gives a wonderful perspective of what it must be like to live this way. I do not know what sort of experience the author has with autism, but he seems to relate well.

Stephen's wonderful teacher sent me some pics from the Special Olympics bowling activity. The people who work with him every day are like family to me. I love them so much for what they do for him.

As I suspected, Stephen closed his ears up to block out some sensory input, but you can tell he's loving it! In the pics you can see the ramps they use for the kids to roll the bowling balls - and to my VERY great surprise, Stephen is even wearing bowling shoes!!! The last pic gets me, right in the heart. So, thanks for letting me share my baby boy's accomplishments:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Picture011-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Picture012-1.jpg

With his aide, Ms. Karen (Kay-Kay), cheering him on biggrin.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Picture018-1.jpg

Check out that form! smile.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Picture028-1.jpg

Getting his 2nd place ribbon...that's his teacher, Ms. Heather, behind him

This one needs no words...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Stephen/Picture020-1.jpg

wub.gif