Autism

GhostGirl

Very touching video.

I was overcome with anger when I saw the fact that most health insurance don't cover Autism and it's related issues. My old insurance company was one of them that doesn't cover Autistic treatment.

My son qualified for Medi-Care which has been just adequate but it's better than nothing. At least with medi-care he can get dental insurance and no co-pay on doctors visits, and now he has health insurance for the rest of his life (or until he no longer has this diagnosis).

The downside is dealing with a new case-worker every year and having to fill out the same damn forms every year. then finding out that I may make too much money to qualify and the subsequent complaints to the "could care less" supervisors who allow it anyway. And don't get me started on Social Security...........

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 4 2008, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 4 2008, 10:16 AM)
Ghost Girl, your son is absolutely beautiful wub.gif

My son Justin is now 21, he was diagnosed Autistic at 18 months. Back then there wasn't as much research going on and nobody could tell us what to do.
We were told that he would never talk or communicate in any ways and would get progressively worse but that did not happen!
What they called therapy we called torturing the child. grrrr, still would like to get those "doctors" in a dark alley alone.....
Anyways, my husband quit his job for 2 years and did nothing but spend time with Justin, literally made him look him in the eye. Gave him those unwanted hugs, too .
smile.gif

Now we know that it's Asperger's, so he is very high functioning, graduated mainstream High School and he's a wonderful boy! Hugs, kisses and the best part is that he can't lie ( unlike our other kids smile.gif )
Couldn't ask for a better child.

I just want to wish you all the best of luck with your son and you will be in my prayers heart.gif

Thank you so much, joanne. heart.gif

My son is moderately functioning - very low in some areas, and higher in others. He isn't able to be involved in mainstream classrooms all day, but for part of the day he's with his peers. Communication is really hard for him, but he's making strides.

I'm so glad to hear that your son is doing so well. hug2.gif

Here are my boys (crappy phone cam, tho). Kerry is on the left. He'll be 10 next month, and he is a huge help to us with his brother. And Stephen's on the right...he's very happy because he's eating his favorite fries. smile.gif He'll be 8 next month.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/1218071852.jpg

wub.gif

Ghost Girl, that photo of your sons makes me smile.. great shot! smile.gif I wish you all all the best.

joanneeeeee, that's beautiful.. you sound so very proud smile.gif

2.gif

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/joanneeee/universal009.jpg

Hope this works.......

Ghost Girl, once again, absolutely beautiful wub.gif boys!

We're lucky to have them hug2.gif

IF this picture shows up this time banghead.gif it somehow perfectly describes what hubby and I would like to do sometimes biggrin.gif

My boys, little Tyler( the Neil wannabe), Jordin and Justin is the tallest one with the red hair( my big baby heart.gif ) and of course, that hubby of mine blush4.gif

Lerxster, you know I'm proud to the max! and bekloppt.gif

Great looking family, Joanneee! You're doing great with the piccy posting, too. smile.gif

great pics J~. That video is awesome also.

You're not going to believe this but my oldest is Aspergers as well. He's 11 now and we went through a lot of what you did. Our biggest complaint was with the local school who did absolutely nothing for us (ISP, 504 plan... nothing) got tired of fighting with them so we pulled all 3 of them out and put them in a different school and it has made a world of difference. Kieran loves school now and has many new friends, has a 504!!! - things we never thought possible. Downside is we have to sell the house to move into that district as we are currently just renting a townhouse to establish residence on top of our current house ($$$). Next step is finding out what middle school we wish to put him in so he can continue to flourish.

Joannee, Tim, it's a struggle to find adequate help for autistic children. Here in Wisconsin, they wanted to pull the funding for the early autism project, which gets kids into therapy, in their homes, as soon as they are diagnosed. People just don't realize how much work and time it takes to help these children, but it pays off big most of the time, especially for the kids with Aspergers. You both have had struggles that most people can't imagine!

a cheer for you!

cheer.gif

aww, thanks Nettie. We're doing great now. Couldn't say that 8 months ago...

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jan 5 2008, 10:53 AM)
Joannee, Tim, it's a struggle to find adequate help for autistic children. Here in Wisconsin, they wanted to pull the funding for the early autism project, which gets kids into therapy, in their homes, as soon as they are diagnosed.

Unbelievable... No Child Left Behind...except for the autistic children, of course. sad.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jan 5 2008, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Jan 5 2008, 10:53 AM)
Joannee, Tim, it's a struggle to find adequate help for autistic children. Here in Wisconsin, they wanted to pull the funding for the early autism project, which gets kids into therapy, in their homes, as soon as they are diagnosed.

Unbelievable... No Child Left Behind...except for the autistic children, of course. sad.gif

New Jersey has an early intervention program but to actually have your child get in with in a years time frame is...well like running on a hamster's wheel...

Example: You have a phone call to set up a meeting, you meet to agree on holding a meeting. At that meeting you agree that you have met and an evaluation should be done, so another meeting is set up to approve to evaluation, the next meeting is to sign off on the agreement to evaulate. Next meeting discusses the evaulation schedule amd the next to agree to the schedule, and the next a start date and the next to agree on then another to sign off on... wacko.gif

If you are lucky your child begins in the early intervention program and the teachers/therapist etc. ask why it took so long your child really needs more than the IEP calls for so a meeting needs to be set up to discuss doing more evaluations. wacko.gif

QUOTE (timintey @ Jan 5 2008, 10:39 AM)
great pics J~. That video is awesome also.

You're not going to believe this but my oldest is Aspergers as well. He's 11 now and we went through a lot of what you did. Our biggest complaint was with the local school who did absolutely nothing for us (ISP, 504 plan... nothing) got tired of fighting with them so we pulled all 3 of them out and put them in a different school and it has made a world of difference. Kieran loves school now and has many new friends, has a 504!!! - things we never thought possible. Downside is we have to sell the house to move into that district as we are currently just renting a townhouse to establish residence on top of our current house ($$$). Next step is finding out what middle school we wish to put him in so he can continue to flourish.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/joanneeee/Justin/justinbrochure.jpg

Thanks Tim

I know the struggles with the schools all too well. We used to live in as small suburb of Hartford, only one school, pretty much. Went through a lot of crap. Justin was always supposed to have an adult watching him and walking him out to the special bus. One day they had another 8 yr old walk him out and left him standing in front of the school for 2 hours. They are sooooo lucky that he didn't wander off.....

Anyways, with the help of a lawyer who was a friend we got it all straightened out. It was either they take care of our baby or they get to pay for the private school which back then was in the hundreds a year. Money talks.

I wanna wish you all the best of luck with Kieran and I hope everything works out for you! I think it's great if you can mainstream him, it helps not to be enclosed in a special ed environment only. Helps to expand their horizons whenever possible.

And will ya send me a pic????? All I've seen is the elfed version....

Here's a picture of Justin at about two years old, he was such a cutie ( still is!), they put him in a brochure.

Yes, I'm bragging! Even if he's not my biological child, he is my baby.

Thank you Miss Nettie, too!

wheeeew, nice to vent a bit....

heart.gif

The Extreme Home Makeover show last night highlighted a family that had an autistic child, but I felt they didn't really speak much on the struggles (maybe because it was only an hour show, not 2). Did anyone else see it?

J~

awesome pic. adorable. I'm on a remote pc now but will post pics when I log on at home tomorrow.

We have a similar story regarding being 'left behind'. Kieran failed to get off the bus when it got to school one morning last year. The bus driver is 'supposed' to physically walk to the rear at each drop off in the mornings (the buses make multiple rounds in the morning). Well, Kieran didn't get off at the school, nor did the driver do the sweep. So Kieran ended up going for a ride to pick up the middle and high school kids. We think he fell asleep but who knows. We asked him what happened but he wasn't sure. He realized he was the only one on the bus when it was enroute to the next pick ups but was so frightened that he just sat there and stared out the window. Driver finally realized it when one of the middle schoolers told him. He then drove him back to the school. Here's the kicker. We found out about it that afternoon FROM OUR 7 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!! The school couldn't even be bothered to call us when it happened. Not only that, the principal didn't find out about it until the next day! Thus one of the many reasons the kids are not going to school there anymore...

I'm worn out, and it's 8:35 a.m.

Let me start out by saying that Stephen DID sleep past 4 a.m., so THAT'S a relief. He woke up right at 6, when the rest of us needed to get up.

Stephen has trouble transitioning from dark to light, so when it's still a bit dark outside he doesn't want any of the lamps turned on...which makes it tad difficult to fix breakfast or get dressed. eh.gif So, we turn them on anyway, and the poor child cried uncontrollably for at least 30 minutes.

sad.gif I kept taking him to his room where it was still dark, but it just didn't work today.

After Kerry and his dad left, Stephen finally started seeing that it was getting lighter outside, and slowly he calmed down. In the space of 5 minutes he went from sobbing to quiet to "Go-we school! Socks. Shoes!"

And that's great, don't get me wrong. But the emotional rollercoaster is a bit tiring. I didn't even have time to do anything but put my hair in a ponytail and slap on my glasses (no contacts).

schla03.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 8 2008, 09:37 AM)

Let me start out by saying that Stephen DID sleep past 4 a.m., so THAT'S a relief.  He woke up right at 6, when the rest of us needed to get up.

Stephen has trouble transitioning from dark to light, so when it's still a bit dark outside he doesn't want any of the lamps turned on...which makes it tad difficult to fix breakfast or get dressed.  eh.gif  So, we turn them on anyway, and the poor child cried uncontrollably for at least 30 minutes.

sad.gif  I kept taking him to his room where it was still dark, but it just didn't work today.

After Kerry and his dad left, Stephen finally started seeing that it was getting lighter outside, and slowly he calmed down.  In the space of 5 minutes he went from sobbing to quiet to "Go-we school!  Socks.  Shoes!" 

And that's great, don't get me wrong.  But the emotional rollercoaster is a bit tiring.  I didn't even have time to do anything but put my hair in a ponytail and slap on my glasses (no contacts).

schla03.gif

sad.gif

For you sistah, hug2.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/coffee.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/cookies.jpg

QUOTE (sundog @ Jan 8 2008, 09:05 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 8 2008, 09:37 AM)

Let me start out by saying that Stephen DID sleep past 4 a.m., so THAT'S a relief.  He woke up right at 6, when the rest of us needed to get up.

Stephen has trouble transitioning from dark to light, so when it's still a bit dark outside he doesn't want any of the lamps turned on...which makes it tad difficult to fix breakfast or get dressed.  eh.gif  So, we turn them on anyway, and the poor child cried uncontrollably for at least 30 minutes.

sad.gif  I kept taking him to his room where it was still dark, but it just didn't work today.

After Kerry and his dad left, Stephen finally started seeing that it was getting lighter outside, and slowly he calmed down.  In the space of 5 minutes he went from sobbing to quiet to "Go-we school!  Socks.  Shoes!" 

And that's great, don't get me wrong.  But the emotional rollercoaster is a bit tiring.  I didn't even have time to do anything but put my hair in a ponytail and slap on my glasses (no contacts).

schla03.gif

sad.gif

For you sistah, hug2.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/coffee.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/sundog918/cookies.jpg

Thank you, sunny. That made me smile.

hug2.gif

I promised Joanneeeeee I would post a pic of Kieran. This was us on the way back from a Mets-Braves game in 06. We were sitting next to an Atlanta Falcons cheerleader on the bus who insisted on having a picture taken with my little boy (honest!). Guy's a chick magnet... wink.gif

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg173/timintey/braves_game-1.jpg

Thanks for the article Tim !

So many similarities, yet so different. Each one of our kids.

I know all too well about having to remind Justin to shower and shave, my little boy in a big man's body wub.gif

I wish some people would just get over the differences, though . I mean the people that don't know him. He looks like anybody else but it puts people off when he sucks his thumb and twirls his hair, especially when unhappy sad.gif

I'm sick of telling people he's handicapped, get over it! Now I mostly ignore the comments, smile, twirl MY hair and say " Don't you suck YOUR thumb???" It's fun smile.gif

The pic is toooo cute wub.gif

.......wonder where Kieran gets it wink.gif

Ghost Girl, I hope you had a better morning today hug2.gif

heart.gif

QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 9 2008, 08:38 AM)

heart.gif

hug2.gif Thanks, hon.

I didn't, but that's okay. Tomorrow will be better. Maybe.

I yammered on about it here, if you get bored and want to kill five minutes smile.gif

The Lady With the Spinning Head

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jan 9 2008, 11:47 AM)
QUOTE (joanneeeeee @ Jan 9 2008, 08:38 AM)

heart.gif

hug2.gif Thanks, hon.

I didn't, but that's okay. Tomorrow will be better. Maybe.

I yammered on about it here, if you get bored and want to kill five minutes smile.gif

The Lady With the Spinning Head

You, lady, are a Goddess! notworthy.gif

Compared to what you go through, my life is like a day at the beach 653.gif

I did have a lot of help from my husband and three grandmas, back when we had those awful days. Very grateful for that smile.gif

It is good to vent, helps to keep your sanity. My head would be spinning, too with all that in one day.

Vividly remember the toilet bowl explorations, how much stuff exactly CAN you fit in there??????

Two inches of toilet water in the basement rec room wasn't fun either 062802puke_prv.gif

Hope tomorrow will be sunnier!

heart.gif