Autism

GhostGirl

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2007, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus The God Of Balance @ Aug 23 2007, 03:01 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2007, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Aug 23 2007, 01:03 PM)
Wow...never saw this thread.

My brother Matthew, 11, turning 12 in October, is autistic. He is diagnosed with a mild case of PDD.

He's very difficult to deal with at times, and other times he's not. He has a very hard time making eye contact with strangers, and he usually hides behind my Mom whenever we meet with someone new. He's fine with our close family and relatives, though. He has no friends, nor does he want to make any friends. He mostly enjoys eating, watching TV, and playing video games. His obsession is fans... he loves all electrical appliances as well as garage doors.

I don't want to think about what it will be like for him as he gets older... when puberty comes along... and he has to go out and get a job. I fear for him.

If he's mildly PDD, he'll do okay with a job. Your parents will make sure he has the right kind of vocational services, and he can get set up with a career that focuses on his strengths.

Everything's relative, you know? I'd give anything if Stephen was mildly PDD instead of moderately autistic.

I wish your family all the best, Rush! heart.gif

I don't know how many times I've said "I'd give anything if Tony were...."

So GG, how severe is Stephen? Is he verbal at all? Tony is verbal, but a lot of his is echolalia. We've worked hard on "I want..." And he knows his colors, animals, and can do eyes, ears, nose, etc.

It's a constant struggle. I never would have dreamed two, three years ago that Tony would be where he is today. He's made some great strides, so we keep pushing him further to try to do more. He really gets pissed when we push, but I've learned that he just automatically gets mad so I'll back off. So I try to push him a little further each time, before he completely melts down.

I firmly believe with all my heart & soul that there will be a cure for Autism. I think the key is stem cell research. I think that's where the answer will come.

They've cured so many other things, that I just know this is coming. I know it.

Stephen is becoming verbal...but yes, a LOT of echolalia and what we call "Stephenese." He knows his colors, and can count up to 20, knows the alphabet (upper and lowercase), etc. Still working on writing his name, but we're starting to move him to the computer...maybe typing will be his strength, we're not sure.

He loves Thomas the Tank Engine, so a lot of the vocalizations we hear are verbatim quotes from books or videos...and you have to KNOW Stephen well to be able to understand what he's saying, because his pronunciation isn't good. The communication center of his brain stopped developing at around 15 months, so his speech is very much like a toddler. He doesn't stay "Stev-un," for his name...he says, "Steeee-yun." Stuff like that.

Some of his favorite foods he says pretty clearly, "Cheese puffs," "Pingles,"(Pringles chips) and "affles" (waffles). At the end of the day sometimes he wants to put his shoes on and go somewhere, and when I say, "No, we're all done with shoes today," he'll walk around for five minutes singing, "Shoes? All done...shoes...all done..."

wub.gif

That made me smile real big. Tony is the same way. Tony can write and spell his name (it's not real legible). He can actually now count to 100.

Tony's favorite shows are Barney, Veggie Tales and Blues Clues. Tony likes to have me draw clues that he's memorized from Blues Clues. ("Bricks, I want bricks; wolf, I want wolf; pig, I want pig"). It's funny too, because if you don't draw it close to the way Steve does, Tony will reject it, and you have to re-draw it.

Tony will recite Barney episodes out of the blue. The words he doesn't remember he "bid-a-bid-a-bid-a"s by those.

And as far as food is concerned, Tony can be quite adament about getting what he wants. "Drink, I WANT DRINK". He doesn't quite get his "s"es. They come out sounding more like 'f's.

I've had little kids come up on the playground and ask if Tony's speaking Spanish, and I say no, he's speaking German.

wub.gif I'll bet Tony and Stephen would have fun together.

Stephen loves Blues Clues, too. He sort of gets in a cycle, and right now he's stuck on Thomas. But I see him sometimes in front of a mirror doing the "Blues Clues" song...with his hands spread out, and then pretending to "put it in your notebook..." Except he says, "Goos Cooos." biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 23 2007, 03:46 PM)
wub.gif I'll bet Tony and Stephen would have fun together.

Stephen loves Blues Clues, too. He sort of gets in a cycle, and right now he's stuck on Thomas. But I see him sometimes in front of a mirror doing the "Blues Clues" song...with his hands spread out, and then pretending to "put it in your notebook..." Except he says, "Goos Cooos." biggrin.gif

Well, maybe someday they will get to meet. Tony loves other kids.

I just watched this after seeing the link. It's about 20 mins. long it's about siblings and family taking about living with a loved one with Autism at different degrees.

http://www.nick.com/turbonick/index.jhtml?extvideoid=66887

Here is where I saw the link

http://www.vh1.com/partners/vh1classic_rock_autism/

Edited by owlswing

QUOTE (owlswing @ Aug 25 2007, 09:45 PM)
I just watched this after seeing the link. It's about 20 mins. long it's about siblings and family taking about living with a loved one with Autism at different degrees.

That's a pretty well done show. Thanks for finding it, sister! smile.gif Kerry and I watched it on TV a while back, and he enjoyed it. He said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a brother with autism."

Good stuff. heart.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 26 2007, 12:16 AM)
QUOTE (owlswing @ Aug 25 2007, 09:45 PM)

That's a pretty well done show. Thanks for finding it, sister! smile.gif Kerry and I watched it on TV a while back, and he enjoyed it. He said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a brother with autism."

Good stuff. heart.gif

Thanks...I had a feeling you saw it. wub.gif

I really liked how it talked about the different degrees of Autism. I really don't think people know how vast they can be.

GG, all I can say is that you are truly, an amazing woman! I never knew what you had to go through each and every day!!!

As I was reading the thread, Rachel (my 4 year old daughter) wanted to go to bed. As I went to pick her up, she kissed me on the cheek and said, "I Love You to pieces Daddy". I just gave her a big hug, and well, I don't know how to say what I'm about to say, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have Rachel. I truly hope you do not take any offense in how I worded that.

After reading some of the later posts, I know that this is really last minute, and you're kinda busy this upcoming weekend of the 1st. wink.gif But I took Rachel on a "Day out with Thomas" last year. She got to ride in a coach pulled by a real live Thomas! Many Thomas related activities, Sir Topham Hat is going to be there. They're gonna be in Nashville the weekend of the 8th and 9th. The link to the railway that will be hosting it is here. http://www.tcry.org/dowt/dowt_main.html

Taking your little guy might be something that although he might not express it, will be something that when you look into his eyes, he will know what you did, and how much it meant to him.

Eyes are the portal into ones soul. Although he cannot communicate that well with his words, you know by his eyes, his soul, that he loves you to pieces too!

Also, and I know you realize this, but you have so many wonderful people here, that you can lean on when life gets too rough, or you just want it all to stop. The Rush on-line community is truly an amazing network of people who care; of people who get it, or "Ged it" as the case may be! smile.gif

QUOTE (SirDraco @ Aug 27 2007, 01:32 AM)
GG, all I can say is that you are truly, an amazing woman! I never knew what you had to go through each and every day!!!

As I was reading the thread, Rachel (my 4 year old daughter) wanted to go to bed. As I went to pick her up, she kissed me on the cheek and said, "I Love You to pieces Daddy". I just gave her a big hug, and well, I don't know how to say what I'm about to say, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have Rachel. I truly hope you do not take any offense in how I worded that.

After reading some of the later posts, I know that this is really last minute, and you're kinda busy this upcoming weekend of the 1st. wink.gif But I took Rachel on a "Day out with Thomas" last year. She got to ride in a coach pulled by a real live Thomas! Many Thomas related activities, Sir Topham Hat is going to be there. They're gonna be in Nashville the weekend of the 8th and 9th. The link to the railway that will be hosting it is here. http://www.tcry.org/dowt/dowt_main.html

Taking your little guy might be something that although he might not express it, will be something that when you look into his eyes, he will know what you did, and how much it meant to him.

Eyes are the portal into ones soul. Although he cannot communicate that well with his words, you know by his eyes, his soul, that he loves you to pieces too!

Also, and I know you realize this, but you have so many wonderful people here, that you can lean on when life gets too rough, or you just want it all to stop. The Rush on-line community is truly an amazing network of people who care; of people who get it, or "Ged it" as the case may be! smile.gif

Thank you Ken.

All moms (and dads) who really love their kids are amazing. That's what kids need - parents who are plugged in to their lives and who want what's best for them. heart.gif

We've been to the Day out with Thomas events. smile.gif Stephen loved it. We actually have a little railroad museum close to my parents, and Thomas comes there in the spring.

Stephen on the Thomas made of Legos (from last year)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RushBabe/Day%20Out%20with%20Thomas%2006/DayOutwithThomas005.jpg

I don't know what I'd do without TRF and the people here who know me and care about me. Thank you to the really amazing people who support me on a daily basis. heart.gif

QUOTE (Geds @ Aug 27 2007, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (SirDraco @ Aug 27 2007, 01:32 AM)
GG, all I can say is that you are truly, an amazing woman!

That's for damn sure.

GG is AWESOME!

wub.gif

Thanks, Geds. wub.gif

I have PDD-NOS and also a mild case of Aspergers, but it dosen't affect me in the slightest. I have learned to deal with my problems and put them behind me instead of dwelling on them and letting other take advantage of them.

I am a very strong-willed, smart person and I have never had any trouble integrating in the public. I am told often that I seem alot older than I actually am because of how good my verbal skills are, and how I talk with people. If you didn't know me you would have no idea I had a learning disability,

Being Autistic kinda sucks but you learn to deal with it, there's nothing you can do to make it better other than be yourself and don't let it bring you down.

Growing up I was always the outsider until I hit Junior High and then I became popular all of a sudden because of how much of an individual I was and how classy people perceived me to be. I swear to god from Grade 7-9 I had an alternating wardrobe of 15 Rush shirts and I was known as the Rush guy.

High School's been tough but I integrate well socially and go to parties and whatnot, it's hard being in a school with 1200 other students with my learning disability because I have problems reading people and their true intentions so I make up for it with my verbal skills.

PDD/Autism is nothing to be ashamed about, just be yourself; have fun and watch out for number 1.

You're doing a great job...congrats on being so well-adjusted. smile.gif Obviously there's a huge spectrum with autism, and my son is so far from your level that it's like a completely different problem.

But...we're making it. smile.gif

Keep up the good attitude, lime. 1022.gif

I also have NLD, but that's a whole other story biggrin.gif

I think I developed some of these issues because of the Prozac I was taking from when I was 5 to when I was 12, i'm 16 now but when I was a kid I was wrongfully diagnosed with OCD.

I never had OCD, I just had a fascination with electronics and how they worked and instead of being a normal toy playing kid.. it's kind of embarassing but I listened to Rush.

Yeah, that's right; i've been suckered into Rush since I was a little kid.

Anyway, i'm surprised how well-adjusted I am considering I fit into the Autism spectrum with pieces of all these different disorders. When I first found out about all of this Autism crap (earlier this year) I had a breakdown and started smoking lots of pot, listened to alot of Rush and got drunk and went to parties,

Sounds fun right? It wasn't, because I felt like an outsider again because I found out I was Autistic. After learning that I had Autism I decided I had to start living for me instead of trying to please other people, so instead of being a huge potsmoker I marched on down to the local music studio; resume in hand, Tommy Hilfiger shirt tucked into my light blue vintage jeans with my huge RUSH beltbuckle and got myself a job as an apprentice.

Now i'm on my way to becoming a producer, I want to move to Toronto and pursue my dream and not let anything get in my way of doing that.

Whatever dosen't kill you, can only make you stronger

I have a short little video clip of Stephen that I wanted to share. One Saturday he started laughing, and I had to try to capture it. To set it up...you can hear him repeat "Thomas" after me...and when I say, "See your room?" he says that, too. He kind of crosses his eyes when he's looking intently into the lens, but that's just a product of trying to focus.

Anyway...talk about laughter being infectious...hope you enjoy this as much as I have. Thanks to 1001 for brightening it up for me...it was taken with my digital camera and the quality isn't great. But the subject matter sure is. wub.gif

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v297/Rus...ugust2007-1.flv

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 27 2007, 10:58 PM)
I can't see the video - asks me to log in, but even when I am logged in it shows a general search page for me sad.gif

Are you clicking the link in my original post? I noticed if you click it in a quoted post, it does that. Otherwise, I don't know what's wrong. I'm signed out of PB, but it works for me when I click the original link.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 28 2007, 01:22 AM)
QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 27 2007, 10:58 PM)
I can't see the video - asks me to log in, but even when I am logged in it shows a general search page for me sad.gif

Are you clicking the link in my original post? I noticed if you click it in a quoted post, it does that. Otherwise, I don't know what's wrong. I'm signed out of PB, but it works for me when I click the original link.

That is the cutest thing ever!!!

Tony is here this weekend. He's going to stay an extra night because of Labor Day biggrin.gif.

I'm having a tough time with his tantrums lately. He's starting to bite his wrist really hard when he gets upset and doesn't get his way. This morning he wanted to "go for a ride", which means he wants McDonalds. Tony is 9 years old and already weighs 100 pounds. He's terribly overweight, which isn't uncommon for kids with disabilities. I've been trying (really hard) to cut down on the "prench pries" trips, because I worry about his weight, and the possibility that he might develop diabetes or high blood pressure.

I can't even imagine an Autistic kid with a diabetic diet. sad.gif

So, I have to suffer through the tantrums.