Dream Theater.

Cygnus 2112

my fav song on FII is trial of tears, which, luckily, they're playing on their current tour. can't wait for the atlanta date

Yeah man, I just hope it's with 100% less Xanadu in the intro. That was cool once, but not everytime :D

Oh man When I first heard Trial of Tears and the intro I was like.....um....did we lapse into Rush, lol

Mick

anyway, images and words, awake and scenes from a memory are the 3 best. images and words is my favorite and all their albums are growers so repeated listens are necessary.

do not start with any of the 2000s albums, or their debut or falling into infinity

Falling Into Infinity has some good songs on it like Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, Peruvian Skies, Hollow Years, and..

Ah.. well, I guess that's a pretty fine album too when you look at it that way :)

falling into infinity is good but not good for a beginner I think.

Yeah, maybe not. But I do like Just Let Me Breathe probably more than I should. I wonder if they'll ever play it again?

This song is awesome.

Theres two Falling Into Infinities...if you´re talking Lines in The Sand, Trial of Tears, Hell´s Kitchen, New Millenium and Just Let Me Breathe I agree. But the rest of the album is kinda lame. I just can´t get into songs like Anna Lee, Take Away My Pain etc...

I can't believe I'm the only one who likes "Systematic Chaos". It's their best album! What's wrong with you people! ;)

The album has a few good tunes on it. In The Presence Of Enemies is awesome. I like Constant Motion and Forsaken is a cool tune to. The rest is just whatever to me. Telling someone who is new to Dream Theater to start with Systematic Chaos is the equivalent of telling someone who's new to Rush to listen to Roll The Bones first. Yeah, there's a few great songs on it but that's not where you want to begin.

Images & Words and Awake are the albums that got me into the band way back when they first came out. Metropolis 2 is considered by most to be their best album. So that's why I always tell people to start with those three. Those are also their three best albums anyways.

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm the only one who likes "Systematic Chaos". It's their best album! What's wrong with you people! ;)

The album has a few good tunes on it. In The Presence Of Enemies is awesome. I like Constant Motion and Forsaken is a cool tune to. The rest is just whatever to me. Telling someone who is new to Dream Theater to start with Systematic Chaos is the equivalent of telling someone who's new to Rush to listen to Roll The Bones first. Yeah, there's a few great songs on it but that's not where you want to begin.

Images & Words and Awake are the albums that got me into the band way back when they first came out. Metropolis 2 is considered by most to be their best album. So that's why I always tell people to start with those three. Those are also their three best albums anyways.

spot on

and besides, systematic chaos was a stab at "dark and heavy" dream theater after the more "accessible" octavarium, and if you want darker and heavier DT you might as well listen to awake cause it's 1000000 times better Edited by bathory

and besides, systematic chaos was a stab at "dark and heavy" dream theater after the more "accessible" octavarium, and if you want darker and heavier DT you might as well listen to awake cause it's 1000000 times better

Meh...Awake is half a good album. but it crushes Chaos.

Mick

Is this another new Dream Theater thread or is it all an illusion and the old thread has been spring cleaned??

This is a new thread.

The only albums I've listened to prior to this thread were Octovarium and A Change Of Seasons. I picked up Images and Words, and Metropolis PT2. Today along with Live at Budokan blu-ray. Gonna check them out this weekend.

Edited by billybobjoe1881

Telling someone who is new to Dream Theater to start with Systematic Chaos is the equivalent of telling someone who's new to Rush to listen to Roll The Bones first. Yeah, there's a few great songs on it but that's not where you want to begin.

Ouch!

Although I would say that's not quite fair. Systemic Chaos seems to be one of the heavier DT albums (which is exactly why I like it), while RTB is certainly not Rush's heaviest.

To each his own I guess. :sigh:

and besides, systematic chaos was a stab at "dark and heavy" dream theater after the more "accessible" octavarium, and if you want darker and heavier DT you might as well listen to awake cause it's 1000000 times better

Meh...Awake is half a good album. but it crushes Chaos.

Mick

awake is better than anything they've put out since, imo

HEre´s the setlist of their current European Tour - maybe a song or two will be changed for the American Tour, but this is yet to be confirmed:

1. False Awakening Suite

2. The Enemy Inside

3. The Shattered Fortress

4. On the Backs of Angels

5. The Looking Glass

6. Trial of Tears

7. Enigma Machine

8. Along for the Ride

9. Breaking All Illusions

10. The Mirror

11. Lie

12. Lifting Shadows Off a Dream

13. Scarred

14. Space-Dye Vest

15. Illumination Theory

16. Overture 1928

17. Strange Déjà Vu

18. The Dance of Eternity

19. Finally Free

20. Illumination Theory
    (Outro)

I'm going to make this into a playlist on my iPod and focus on these songs before the show so I can get to know them. I downloaded their discography on the weekend and I can recognize half this list. This is looking like it could be a great show.

Edited by billybobjoe1881