Walmart features "Working Man" in commercial

circumstantial tree

This may end up in Sense O'Clock News but I'll post it here first.

http://youtu.be/0LYI--n-tjE#aid=P6_7wEmrcJA

I think there should be two threads - one here and one in Sense O'Clock News. For people who want to discuss the politics regarding Walmart and their practices, just go there.

I'll have to check it out in the SCON. I would love to know what is so wrong with one of the largest employers of folks in the country besides the government.... :huh: Somebody will educate I am sure of it... :)
  • Like 1

I'll have to check it out in the SCON. I would love to know what is so wrong with one of the largest employers of folks in the country besides the government.... :huh: Somebody will educate I am sure of it... :)

This article says it better than I can. In short, all they care about is low prices, and that comes at the expense of working wages for employees, and quality products for their customers. They also drive small, local stores out of business.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Walmart

• Like 1

This article says it better than I can. In short, all they care about is low prices, and that comes at the expense of working wages for employees, and quality products for their customers. They also drive small, local stores out of business.

http://en.wikipedia....cism_of_Walmart

Thanks. I thought maybe there was something new that I hadn't heard before.... :)

http://en.wikipedia....cism_of_Walmart

Thanks. I thought maybe there was something new that I hadn't heard before.... :)

I'm not going to contribute much to this thread, but I'm wondering how much Walmart's competitors pay their employees?

Anyway, I'm a free market guy and if Rush can benefit from it, why not?

• Like 1

To me, selling out is simply that. It's like "I'll sacrifice quality art and come out with something cheap and entertaining that will give my listeners a thrill". Whether or not Rush has "sold out" doesn't bother me if I still like their music. But it's for me, not you, that I came to like Rush anyway. ;)

I'm pretty confident that most musicians want to make as much money with their product as possible and reach as large an audience as possible. What's selling out? Is it compromising your art for profit?

I am either going to be ignored for what I am about to say or blasted by folks here much smarter than I. For someone like myself who has been a fan since 1976 I am thrilled for them to be on a commercial for a huge company. I am glad to have some of my youthful naivete left to just f**king enjoy it and not over analyze this. I hope they play the sh*t out of it everywhere till I tire from it. Going way back to a time when I couldn't even catch them on the radio, I am going to celebrate this a little. I hope they got paid handsomely too.... :)
  • Like 6

I'm pretty confident that most musicians want to make as much money with their product as possible and reach as large an audience as possible. What's selling out? Is it compromising your art for profit?

I am either going to be ignored for what I am about to say or blasted by folks here much smarter than I. For someone like myself who has been a fan since 1976 I am thrilled for them to be on a commercial for a huge company. I am glad to have some of my youthful naivete left to just f**king enjoy it and not over analyze this. I hope they play the sh*t out of it everywhere till I tire from it. Going way back to a time when I couldn't even catch them on the radio, I am going to celebrate this a little. I hope they got paid handsomely too.... :)

I got into Rush when Snakes And Arrows was released and I've gotta say I agree with you. Even 8 years ago they didn't get half the attention they get now.

• Like 2

If Rush sold out at all, then they would have written a song for Walmart to use. As it happens, the song was written in 1973 so it already existed for someone else to use. I only hope that Walmart sought permission first before using it.
  • Like 2

If Rush sold out at all, then they would have written a song for Walmart to use. As it happens, the song was written in 1973 so it already existed for someone else to use. I only hope that Walmart sought permission first before using it.

:blah: Paging Ray Daniels and a room full of lawyers!!!! :)

Don't talk bloody wet. Of course Walmart would get permission to use the song. Jeez!!

"Art as expression, Not as market campaigns..."

Though I wonder if they made the choice, or their publishing company did. I'm never sure how much artists control that stuff.

After using their employees, they're using Rush, and takes all the credits for it. They are the McDonald s of the retail store, cheap products, cheap labour, but the business executives must do a ton of money... :notworthy:

who cares? it's not like they penned a new tune called "wal-mart man" just for this commercial

and selling out is making a record or tune you don't wanna actually make, and rush never did that

• Like 1