Philip Seymour Hoffman found Dead

Xanadoood

I remember reading in Keith Richards' biography about how Gram Parsons died by relasping and overdosing. Apparently, a lot of addicts who go clean and relapse pick up where they left off. To avoid an overdose you basically have to "start over".

Addicts are like everybody else, yeah, assholes become addicts, but so do decent and caring people. I have addicts in my family and, unfortunately, they fall into the asshole camp. I also know an addict who has been clean for years and has gotten her life together to the point of reaching her goals. She's as good as they come.

Anyway, Philip Seymour Hoffman, to me, seems like he was a decent person. Addiction is dealing with demons and that's hard for anyone to deal with.

• Like 2

I remember reading in Keith Richards' biography about how Gram Parsons died by relasping and overdosing. Apparently, a lot of addicts who go clean and relapse pick up where they left off. To avoid an overdose you basically have to "start over".

Addicts are like everybody else, yeah, assholes become addicts, but so do decent and caring people. I have addicts in my family and, unfortunately, they fall into the asshole camp. I also know an addict who has been clean for years and has gotten her life together to the point of reaching her goals. She's as good as they come.

Anyway, Philip Seymour Hoffman, to me, seems like he was a decent person. Addiction is dealing with demons and that's hard for anyone to deal with.

f**k em! shouldnt have done drugs...

oh and someone got mugged and murdered on the streets? well that's what they get for not staying indoors. f**k em! how selfish

This brings up an important fact about people in general. Not everyone can handle "life" very well, which is why some people are nice and others are assholes. Most of us can handle the daily trials and challenges of life, while others can't. Most of us can get along with everybody, while others can't.

It seems to me that one's ability to deal with Life and all its highs and lows goes hand in hand with one's ability to defeat drug abuse and addiction. If someone can't handle Life itself, then that makes handling addiction that much harder.

• Like 3

This brings up an important fact about people in general. Not everyone can handle "life" very well, which is why some people are nice and others are assholes. Most of us can handle the daily trials and challenges of life, while others can't. Most of us can get along with everybody, while others can't.

It seems to me that one's ability to deal with Life and all its highs and lows goes hand in hand with one's ability to defeat drug abuse and addiction. If someone can't handle Life itself, then that makes handling addiction that much harder.

True that :cheers: sir

I feel sorry for his family and friends, but not for him. He chose to start using drugs. I’m pretty hard core with that attitude. I told my kids the same thing. Luckily, neither of them have ever used dope, even pot.
  • Like 1

I am only passingly familiar with his work, but yes, it is a tragedy.

The addict Philip Seymour Hoffman who killed himself with a heroin overdose was not the real Philip Seymour Hoffman. Addiction creates a whole new entity, sort of a monster doppelganger, who bears little resemblance to the real human being whose life the addiction took over. If you must be angry about the pointlessness of it all, be angry at the addiction version. I am sure his widow has plenty of anger.

Like Narpzilla (who is not a tool, btw), I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and have only been clean for less than a year. That addiction - and I was a "light" smoker at only 8-10 cigs per day - created some rather unpleasant personality aspects I'm glad to be rid of. I could go for hours at a time without nicotine, but when I wanted it I did things like cut visits to family short (so I could get home and smoke). I know comparing that to a hardcore heroin habit is weak, but still it does illustrate how an addiction can reorder priorities. And while I may well end up with lung cancer at some point, the fact that cigarette addiction probably caused it doesn't mean I deserve to die.

Don't think I absolve someone of responsibility just because they're hostage to whatever substance they are dependent on - I don't. They do know what they're doing to themselves and their loved ones and it is up to them to ask for the help that's available to most anyone. But it is sad and pointless when an addiction costs the life of one too young.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 4

I am only passingly familiar with his work, but yes, it is a tragedy.

The addict Philip Seymour Hoffman who killed himself with a heroin overdose was not the real Philip Seymour Hoffman. Addiction creates a whole new entity, sort of a monster doppelganger, who bears little resemblance to the real human being whose life the addiction took over. If you must be angry about the pointlessness of it all, be angry at the addiction version. I am sure his widow has plenty of anger.

Like Narpzilla (who is not a tool, btw), I smoked cigarettes for 25 years and have only been clean for less than a year. That addiction - and I only smoked 8-10 cigs per day - created some rather unpleasant personality aspects I'm glad to be rid of. I could go for hours at a time without nicotine, but when I wanted it I did things like cut visits to family short (so I could get home and smoke). I know comparing that to a hardcore heroin habit is weak, but still it does illustrate how an addiction can reorder priorities. And while I may well end up with lung cancer at some point, the fact that cigarette addiction probably caused it doesn't mean I deserve to die.

Don't think I absolve someone of responsibility just because they're hostage to whatever substance they are dependent on - I don't. They do know what they're doing to themselves and their loved ones and it is up to them to ask for the help that's available to most anyone. But it is sad and pointless when an addiction costs the life of one too young.

Very sweet. Thanks. When I had my nicotine habit for those 30 years my life in a way revolved around it and I disliked myself many a time because of it. Planning when I was going to run out and when I needed to get the store to get more. Not to mention the money spent and it still may kill me to soon one day. That still hangs over my head and always will. Thanks dear for the kind words. Real I am.... :rose: <---------------------- for Mara :) <---------------------- for everyone else Edited by Narpzilla
  • Like 1

I feel sorry for his family and friends, but not for him. He chose to start using drugs. I’m pretty hard core with that attitude. I told my kids the same thing. Luckily, neither of them have ever used dope, even pot.

They probably wouldn't tell you if they had/if they will ;)

• Like 1

Until we start to see drug addiction as a disease, and not as criminals, we'll never get rid of the problem. People don't turn to drinking, smoking or shooting heroin into their veins because they think it's fun. Something inside hurts, and the amount of hurt is proportionate to the kind of drug taken.

I hope we all can learn from those who die before us.

People don't turn to drinking, smoking or shooting heroin into their veins because they think it's fun.

I disagree. People start drinking or taking illegal drugs because it's LOADS of fun. The euphoric effect of alcohol and the other drugs is THE reason for college kids going barhopping every other night, and for people buying bongs, spoons, and syringes. People don't smoke pot, snort coke or shoot up heroin because they're legal or illegal. They do the drugs for their euphoric effect.

.....but the "Honeymoon period" of drug use and abuse lasts only so long. That's when the real destructive behavior sets in. People are no longer getting wasted to feel good. They're getting wasted to keep from feeling bad. When they've devoted their entire lives to the activity of getting wasted, then they have nothing else to do in life except get wasted with their fellow abusers/addicts. They are doubly screwed, because their bodies are physically dependent on the drug, and they're also emotionally addicted to their "friends"......

• Like 2