Rush: The Greatest Band Ever!!!!

workingcinderellaman

Rush without a freaking doubt is the greatest band of all time. Being 15 and discovering this band was almost the best thing that ever happened to me. Every album I picked up I fell in love with—and for their differences! I could not believe that one band could be so talented, and continue to hone its craft and grow as time went on. I have now seen them 3 times live ( I know small sample size ) but being 22 now I can say I have NEVER missed them on a tour and NEVER will. Most people dont read my posts on here and thats fine, but this forum went WAY downhill about 5 years ago. I feel like its a constant competition on here for "who is the biggest rush fan" and the classic fans who hate everything post Counterparts gets REALLY REALLY REALLY old. When you were on this forum expressing your hate for Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows I was too busy living my teenage life BLARING these albums with a smile on my face. These most recent albums mean the world to me, and I can tell you when I am old and grey that these albums will still hit me right in the chest EVERYTIME. Go on, tell me how Hemispheres was the greatest thing since slized bread—and I will stand tall telling you how much these new albums mean to me and my life. Rush is the GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. No band will ever mean as much to me as they do—truy have changed the way I observe the world and music will never be the same when they decide to finally hang them up.
  • Like 2

Rush without a freaking doubt is the greatest band of all time. Being 15 and discovering this band was almost the best thing that ever happened to me. Every album I picked up I fell in love with—and for their differences! I could not believe that one band could be so talented, and continue to hone its craft and grow as time went on. I have now seen them 3 times live ( I know small sample size ) but being 22 now I can say I have NEVER missed them on a tour and NEVER will. Most people dont read my posts on here and thats fine, but this forum went WAY downhill about 5 years ago. I feel like its a constant competition on here for "who is the biggest rush fan" and the classic fans who hate everything post Counterparts gets REALLY REALLY REALLY old. When you were on this forum expressing your hate for Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows I was too busy living my teenage life BLARING these albums with a smile on my face. These most recent albums mean the world to me, and I can tell you when I am old and grey that these albums will still hit me right in the chest EVERYTIME. Go on, tell me how Hemispheres was the greatest thing since slized bread—and I will stand tall telling you how much these new albums mean to me and my life. Rush is the GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME. No band will ever mean as much to me as they do—truy have changed the way I observe the world and music will never be the same when they decide to finally hang them up.

I agree with everything except the bit about this forum; some people really don't like the new material, and the stuff about who is the biggest Rush fan is only a bit of fun (well, we have to talk about something until we get some real Rush news!). I'm with you though- Rush have had a huge impact on my life, and I've yet to find a Rush album I dislike. :)

Rush Follower since 1976. Yep im that old. :moose:

Me too :hug2: :rose:

And me . ( I saw the light in 1978)

Best band ever debates .

They are a nightmare and I do think The Beatles are the ultimate , but I was just a bit to young to live the experience .

But from 1978 to 1982 Rush were the best band ever .

Zep, Floyd , Yes , The Who, Stones , Tull, were in decline then . :finbar:

Totally agree - BEST band ever! But, I'll go one step further... from AFTK through MP is the best four album stretch of RECORDED music ever. Just happens to be by the best band ever... Rush.

Not hard to argue with this! But Signals through to Power Windows is very close in quality, and I would argue the bands golden era started with 2112 (but peaked early with AFTK).

I actually disagree. Apart from Closer to the Heart and Xanadu, I feel A Farewell to Kings is rather bland. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy. Whatever. Just don't take my Rush card!

You aren't alone. I rank AFTK pretty low on the list, though it has some great songs on it, it's just kinda lackluster as a whole.

My two cents: My dad got me hooked to these guys at the age of 6. Since then it's been the same: I'm still hooked, and I got to see them for the first time right before my 10th birthday during the R30 tour. Unfortunately I had to miss the Vapor Trails tour cause of school, but the R30 tour was amazing. The guys were on top form, and almost 10 years later I see them for the 7th time, only this time, on the Clockwork Angels tour, and just like the R30 tour, they were on fire, age be damned. Alex melted everyone's faces, Neil practically destroyed his kit, and Geddy sang wonderfully, and I didn't hear any vocal missteps throughout the entire night, granted it was also the last night of the tour in Kansas City so it was their chance to empty the tanks and fire on all cylinders. I was almost in a daze after watching them rip through Grand Finale.

More than anything, I love these guys because they possess the live performance capabilities unmatched by any other band except MAYBE Led Zeppelin in '73 before Page's addictions. 30 song setlists, no BS opening acts, a stage setup that blows any sh***y pop "artist" concert out of the water, and the pure musicianship of 3 nerdy fellows who deliver time and time again. I find myself listening to their live albums more than their studio albums, particularly Rush in Rio and R30, and most recently the CA one, which matches the fire the other two have.

Apart from their unmatched live performances, they have the uncanny ability to stay relevant in the music industry decade after decade. Their albums will always sell, and unlike some of their musical peers (fake-Yes, Styx, and who even cares about Tull anymore), when they release an album, it stands up tall next the music released at the time, without sounding dated.

I'm out.

/mic drop

AFTK is low in your rankings? Funny how we all approach albums differently...still, each to their own

Just to chime in and be annoying...The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, bar none.

Just my two cents!

• Like 1

I don't completely disagree with you. The Beatles are certainly the best all-time in regards to popularity, sales, and catchy three-minute tunes you can't get out of your head. I love them, too, but Rush is better.

(Posted this earlier in a different thread!)

I don't claim them to be the greatest, I do think they are wonderful and individual enough to stand tall against other genre giants.

For my money, they are better than Yes, Tull, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen, most Fleetwood Mac (but not all) and the like. But Zeppelin and Beatles really are, for me, the major rivals. Maybe second to Beatles? I still have a lot of bands to discover, and Zeppelin I have barely touched, considering I have highly praised them (what I do have, however, is enough material to justify "mindblowing").

Rush are amazing...

Edited by Segue Myles

Oh...if we are including singer/singwriters:

Bruce Springsteen is second only to The Beatles in my book. I know most Rush fans vomit his name out their mouths, but he is just amazing (unless you're opinion is based solely on Born In The USA, which admittedly is a very overrated album).

btw, where is an appropriate place to start with Tom Waits? I know the name!

Oh...if we are including singer/singwriters:

Bruce Springsteen is second only to The Beatles in my book. I know most Rush fans vomit his name out their mouths, but he is just amazing (unless you're opinion is based solely on Born In The USA, which admittedly is a very overrated album).

btw, where is an appropriate place to start with Tom Waits? I know the name!

Ok so Tom Waits will take A lot of getting used too. He went through several phases. There are 3 albums i recommend. Small Change......which is his best 70's beat nick poet record. Swordfishtrombones......he snapped here and went all experimental. Finally, Mule Variations.....A wonderful melting pot of his musical palette.

Give him time to sink in though.

Mick

All the best music takes time to sink in!

...except for Topographic Oceans and Relayer...apparently they are love at first sight in Segue's world!

• Like 1

All the best music takes time to sink in!

...except for Topographic Oceans and Relayer...apparently they are love at first sight in Segue's world!

Haha. You're such a weird dude. Those are the Yes albums I'd expect to take the most time to sink in for people.

Lol I used to, but I gave them a chance with the red and blue albums, and the blue album, pardon the pun, "blue" my mind!

Then I eventually got the stereo albums box set, and every year since then I have grown to appreciate them more and more!

While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Let It Be are two of the songs that take my breath away. The simplicity and beauty of Balckbird and Norwegian Wood never fail to soothe me...The Beatles are magic, easy to criticise until further inspection proves the value of their art.

Just to chime in and be annoying...The Beatles are the greatest band of all time, bar none.

Just my two cents!

I always disliked the Beatles. :o

:eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: :bitchslap: :)
  • Like 1

Good old Narpet!

Glad I haven't given you my verdict on Tormato...

Just my two cents!

Owch! :D

I have tried, I promise. I have their entire catalog on my iPod, but it's all meh. Them and Pink Floyd- I don't like any of it! I feel left out. :(

Even my daughter likes The Beatles!

Maybe I have a strange brain or something? :P

Just my two cents!

I have tried, I promise. I have their entire catalog on my iPod, but it's all meh. Them and Pink Floyd- I don't like any of it! I feel left out. :(

I have no Beatles or Pink Floyd albums and I was around during their hey day. Not a big fan either. :rose: :) I just felt you deserved a bitch slap anyway :LOL:

Just my two cents!

I have no Beatles or Pink Floyd albums and I was around during their hey day. Not a big fan either. :rose: :) I just felt you deserved a bitch slap anyway :LOL:

Cheers mate- I love it when you slap me around! :laughing guy:

• Like 1

Just my two cents!

I would have placed you over my knee but i couldn't find that one. let me try again... :spankingovermyknee: Damn! Won't work :rage:
  • Like 1

Just my two cents!

I would have placed you over my knee but i couldn't find that one. let me try again... :spankingovermyknee: Damn! Won't work :rage:

:blush: Ooooh-eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :mwah:

• Like 1

Don't leave me out! I'm a naughty boy!

Don't you have enough pain in your life already?.......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/TOTO_live_2010_in_Copenhagen_in_KB_Hallen.JPG/800px-TOTO_live_2010_in_Copenhagen_in_KB_Hallen.JPG