Rush: The Greatest Band Ever!!!!

workingcinderellaman

The last few albums have lacked melody to me. Fine musicianship on them but very little melody. Not just vocal melody but instrumental melody.

Geddy was talking in an interview from a while ago and spoke of how his "heroes" influenced him. He used the word melody like it really meant something. It is what drew me to play bass guitar as a young lad. The melody that the bass in Rush had was so fresh, new and exciting.

Lately, as great as his playing is, it lacks that melody. His vocal lines and bass playing are very tight and restrictive as far as the range of notes he's playing in.

I may not be describing it well but that is what is making it so hard for me to love the newer stuff.

There! I said it.

I agree about about Vapor Trails lacking melody and too a certain extent S&A. But there was melodies and hooks all over CA. It was just buried under god awful production.

Mick

I tried to look past the production, just didn't see it. I have never begrudged them blazing new trails. The vocals seem to be blurted out, not sung. The bass has groove, just no singable melody like his earlier stuff did. And by earlier I don't necessarily mean MP, I'm talking about just a few albums ago. His playing was always singable. The whole band had little melodies going on all over the place. Not feeling that with these last couple albums.

JMO