If Yes gets in the RRHOF, will Rush give the induction speech?

laughedatbytime

Yes is probably hurt by the fact that they don't have any "essential" albums, by which I mean an album that every rock fan owns, regardless of whether they are a Yes fan, like Moving Pictures, Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, Sgt. Pepper, etc.

Not even 90125? It's certainly not their best album, but isn't it the most commercially successful?

It was the first Yes album I bought, only because songs like Owner Of A Lonely Heart and It Can Happen got a lot of airplay on classic rock stations.

I thought about that one. It's close. I'm not sure it's in the same class as, say, Van Halen in terms of everyone owning it, but if any of their albums are, it's that one.

I love that album, and saw them on the tour. Great show.

• Like 3

Yes is probably hurt by the fact that they don't have any "essential" albums, by which I mean an album that every rock fan owns, regardless of whether they are a Yes fan, like Moving Pictures, Paranoid, Led Zeppelin IV, Sgt. Pepper, etc.

Not even 90125? It's certainly not their best album, but isn't it the most commercially successful?

It was the first Yes album I bought, only because songs like Owner Of A Lonely Heart and It Can Happen got a lot of airplay on classic rock stations.

I thought about that one. It's close. I'm not sure it's in the same class as, say, Van Halen in terms of everyone owning it, but if any of their albums are, it's that one.

It won grammys and it's their best selling album I think. Rabin shreds.

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 1

rick n backer pretty much summed it up-the band sold albums and they entertained. Beyond that, you don't need to make a "musical imprint" to be inducted. One little Yes anecdote is a friend of the family used to be a free-lance rock-n-roll writer/reviewer. She used to joke about how down-to-earth-and-humble even a Paul McCartney or Bono could be. But she believed that Yes was one of the most elitist, we-are-so-into-ourselves bands she encountered. Made a comment that she didn't know what would be tougher-a meeting with the Pope or five minutes with Jon Anderson. But that is one person's take, so won't say Yes always says No to the commoners.
  • Like 1

rick n backer pretty much summed it up-the band sold albums and they entertained. Beyond that, you don't need to make a "musical imprint" to be inducted. One little Yes anecdote is a friend of the family used to be a free-lance rock-n-roll writer/reviewer. She used to joke about how down-to-earth-and-humble even a Paul McCartney or Bono could be. But she believed that Yes was one of the most elitist, we-are-so-into-ourselves bands she encountered. Made a comment that she didn't know what would be tougher-a meeting with the Pope or five minutes with Jon Anderson. But that is one person's take, so won't say Yes always says No to the commoners.

Ive heard that from others as well. And that, unfortunately, has been the knock on the Prog rock style...Rush was lumped in with it..and it took 40 years for everyone to realize that they don't take themselves all that seriously..but Yes? I think they do..and its one of the reasons punk happened. Them, along with ELP, defined that overblown era, and here we are , in almost 2014, and the music establishment still hates that style of music. Having a good rep in the industry goes a long way. I dont think Yes will make the cut .

As much as we love bands like Yes, how many current acts cite them as an influence?..I think Mastadon mentioned them in an interview...Taylor Hawkins has also..maybe Corgan?..so although they clearly were an amazing musical force, and were quite popular during that early to mid 70s period, you just dont hear a lot of bands talking about them.

Edited by Xanadoood

Nothing against Yes - I'm a huge fan of their early work. If they make it, Geddy might give that speech. Or Steven Wilson. Or whoever. Maybe one of those punk guys who have always dissed Yes but finally found out that they have loved Close to the Edge all their lives but just couldn't tell their grilfriend.

But DEEP PURPLE not in? Sorry Yes, but that's another league altogether. One of the five or six decisive rock bands of all time (and, yes, apart from my own anboydom, Rush is not in that list generally), and NOT in? That's joke, and a bad one, too.

If only one of the bands mentioned can make it this year, Yes must wait another one. And no comments on Kiss ...

Great band, one of my favourites but let's be honest their body of work is patchy at best and they probably only have one song that invades the general public's consciousness.

Pretty much, the same thing could be said of Yes, or even Rush, at that. Deep Purple deserves to get in just as much as Yes and Rush.

Perfect example of why the Rock establishment hates bands like Yes...a little piece of an interview with Allan White..

Alan White: These bands explored like we did … and it's great for music to have that around, I mean, nobody wants to play three chords forever, it's boring. - See more at: http://www.rockhall.com/blog/post/9907_yes-rock-hall-of-fame-progressive-rock-interview/#sthash.TwunUfXP.dpuf

Nothing against Yes - I'm a huge fan of their early work. If they make it, Geddy might give that speech. Or Steven Wilson. Or whoever. Maybe one of those punk guys who have always dissed Yes but finally found out that they have loved Close to the Edge all their lives but just couldn't tell their grilfriend.

But DEEP PURPLE not in? Sorry Yes, but that's another league altogether. One of the five or six decisive rock bands of all time (and, yes, apart from my own anboydom, Rush is not in that list generally), and NOT in? That's joke, and a bad one, too.

If only one of the bands mentioned can make it this year, Yes must wait another one. And no comments on Kiss ...

Great band, one of my favourites but let's be honest their body of work is patchy at best and they probably only have one song that invades the general public's consciousness.

Pretty much, the same thing could be said of Yes, or even Rush, at that. Deep Purple deserves to get in just as much as Yes and Rush.

Completely agree. And DP have a number of more than classic albums. As great as Yes is, but they don't have the an album of the general status that In Rock, Machine Head, Made in Japan or even Perfect Strangers achieve. For their (creatively short-lived) 80s comeback alone DP deserve to be in ...

That said, one of my three or four favourite albums of all time is Close to the Edge.

• Like 1

No need to worry about it. YES is not on the list this year :(

Neither is Deep Purple.

I thought they were?..

They made the list of NOMINATED acts. They didn't get in, though (this is breaking news). I must say, apart from Yes and Deep Purple, I'm happy with the list. I definitely think Yes will make it in another year or two.

Clem

Edited by clem

I'd say more folks are familiar with fragile when it comes to their albums

Ive heard that from others as well. And that, unfortunately, has been the knock on the Prog rock style...Rush was lumped in with it..and it took 40 years for everyone to realize that they don't take themselves all that seriously..but Yes? I think they do..and its one of the reasons punk happened. Them, along with ELP, defined that overblown era, and here we are , in almost 2014, and the music establishment still hates that style of music. Having a good rep in the industry goes a long way. I dont think Yes will make the cut .

As much as we love bands like Yes, how many current acts cite them as an influence?..I think Mastadon mentioned them in an interview...Taylor Hawkins has also..maybe Corgan?..so although they clearly were an amazing musical force, and were quite popular during that early to mid 70s period, you just dont hear a lot of bands talking about them.

yeah when yes were all hippied out and into vegetarianism I heard they could be real pricks

I'd say more folks are familiar with fragile when it comes to their albums

Prog fans maybe. I think if you asked a generic rock fan to name a Yes song they couldn't. But if you played them Owner of a Lonely Heart or Leave It they'd recognize the song.

but when the discussion of which yes album to start with comes up, it's always fragile mentioned first.

I agree if we're talking about what album to get if you want to get into the classic "Yes sound." Other than me, to be honest, I don't know anyone who owns Fragile though.

seriously? what Yes fan doesn't own Fragile??

but when the discussion of which yes album to start with comes up, it's always fragile mentioned first.

I agree if we're talking about what album to get if you want to get into the classic "Yes sound." Other than me, to be honest, I don't know anyone who owns Fragile though.

I don't know any (other) Yes fans.

• Like 1

I don't know any (other) Yes fans.

wow Yes was huge with my group of friends back in the day. way back :codger: