I'm on a huge Van Halen Kick

Xanadoood

I met a guy at a Halloween party that went to high school with Eddie. He saw them many times in the clubs and backyard keggers.. It renergized my love of VH...

Been dissecting their catalogue again, mostly the Roth years. Eddies rythm playing is just so cutting , choppy and kick ass..fools, Romeos delight, take your whiskey home, mean street, drop dead legs... Just killer playing, and sadly, you don't hear any guys paying with this type of raw, kick ass emotion anymore... Those albums were so raw... Cut in 2 weeks, but they still sounded good.. The playing is stellar.

Anyway, yeah, Van Halen kicks ass and I feel fortunate to have grown up with them.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 4

Me too. Played Women and Children First yesterday and 1984 today.

Woman and Children First is so brutal.. Love it

It's my most listened to running music. The guitars are great on head phones. Lots of little details in there. W&CF has great tone as well.
  • Like 1

Me too. Played Women and Children First yesterday and 1984 today.

Woman and Children First is so brutal.. Love it

It's my most listened to running music. The guitars are great on head phones. Lots of little details in there. W&CF has great tone as well.

Yup, all the little noises, feedback, mistakes... RAW

• Like 1

Van Halen huh? Well being an 18 year old red blooded, rock'in male in 1978 was a great time. I have not to this day been so excited about a "new" band like I was excited by them in 1978. Grabbed that first album and rocked out. Bought the next 3 or 4 and then like with all others, stopped around my daughter's birth in 1987. If there was ever an exciting "new" sound back then, it was them. I saw them open for Ted Nugent in 1979 and they were outstanding. Definitely in the top five "most excited" I have ever been to see any band....... Great times they were...... :yes:
  • Like 3

Not a bad kick to be on...

...while I enjoy both Dave fronted Van Halen and Sammy fronted Van Halen,

the tip of the hat goes to the original line-up for me.

Those first six albums (Van Halen / Van Halen II / Women and Children First / Fair Warning / Diver Down / 1984) are all just monumental.

I may just have to join you on this Van Halen kick.

~Cheers, RGLT

http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p17io6l34cuhh12m41ov0105911l5.jpg

• Like 3

I love listening to the isolated guitar tracks from many of these songs. Just amazing rhythm work...and this for a guy so noted for his soloing.

Van Halen is probably my favorite band and I consider them to be the greatest American hard rock band of all time.

• Like 3

Not a bad kick to be on...

...while I enjoy both Dave fronted Van Halen and Sammy fronted Van Halen,

the tip of the hat goes to the original line-up for me.

Those first six albums (Van Halen / Van Halen II / Women and Children First / Fair Warning / Diver Down / 1984) are all just monumental.

I may just have to join you on this Van Halen kick.

~Cheers, RGLT

http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p17io6l34cuhh12m41ov0105911l5.jpg

Honestly I think the new album is very fitting to stand next to the original six as well. In fact, I like it better than a couple of them.

• Like 1

first 4 albums kick ass

How is Van Halen looked upon among peeps in your age group? Are they respected?

haven't seen a van halen shirt at school ever, most people have heard of them though, and they're familiar with 3 or 4 songs but most kids won't be able to tell you that they're by van halen

first 4 albums kick ass

How is Van Halen looked upon among peeps in your age group? Are they respected?

haven't seen a van halen shirt at school ever, most people have heard of them though, and they're familiar with 3 or 4 songs but most kids won't be able to tell you that they're by van halen

Thats a damn shame.

most kids at my school couldn't even name 4 beatles tunes, 4 zep tunes, etc. their loss

I wonder how many of us oldies could name four Cole Porter songs off the top of our heads.