Time to get Swole!!!

Riv

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Nov 24 2005, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 15 2005, 04:04 AM)
Just found out today I have to leave for Mongolia - TODAY! f***ing MONGOLIA!
Where the f**k is that?

Hey Riv - how's the food out there?

I think I have bird flu.

QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 5 2005, 08:36 AM)
Any updates here?

not really. sad.gif

can't afford a gym membership--can't afford to buy healthy food for lunch everyday--& just don't have the time. sad.gif

i'm super sad cause i really wanted to try this program!!!!!

thanks for all your help--i'm so sorry i wasted your time! sad.gif

perhaps someday soon when i'm rich & famous & need a good diet/excercise plan wink.gif

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Dec 17 2005, 04:04 AM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Nov 5 2005, 08:36 AM)
Any updates here?

not really. sad.gif

can't afford a gym membership--can't afford to buy healthy food for lunch everyday--& just don't have the time. sad.gif

i'm super sad cause i really wanted to try this program!!!!!

thanks for all your help--i'm so sorry i wasted your time! sad.gif

perhaps someday soon when i'm rich & famous & need a good diet/excercise plan wink.gif

What? You don't need a gym. We can work with it. Let's dicuss this further.

FIT BITS:

Running Faster Does Not Necessarily Result in Increased Fat Burning Rates

Low intensity endurance training is often recommended to ensure compliance and enhance fat burning, but If the goal is weight loss, theoretically the caloric cost of the activity should be as high as possible. The purpose of this study was to determine if there was a difference between energy expenditure and substrate use running the same distance at a high versus lower intensity.

Ten males and 4 females that were moderately endurance trained served as subjects. On separate days. Each subject performed a five-mile run at 70% and 95% of their individual anaerobic threshold. Energy expenditure was significantly greater during the higher intensity run, but there was no significant difference in the absolute amount of fat that was used, although the higher intensity trial used a statistically significantly greater amount of carbohydrates.

The results of this study indicate that both high and low intensity endurance exercises are effective for weight loss and fat loss. If caloric expenditure is the goal, then the time needed to reach that goal will be less with high intensity exercise versus low intensity exercise, but Fitness Professionals need to consider several other aspects when interpreting these results. The motivation of the client must be considered when recommending high intensity exercise. Clients working at higher intensities may perceive the exercise as uncomfortable and punishing, which could have an impact on adherence.

Rosenberger, Friederike. Et al. Running 8000m fast or slow: Are there differences in energy cost and fat metabolism? Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2005: 37(10), 1789-1793.

More Evidence That

Strength Training Is A

Viable Choice for Weight Loss

The American College of Sports Medicine and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity at least 4 days per week. Moderate intensity is defined as physical activity that is performed at an intensity of 3-6 metabolic equivalents (METs) with an energy expenditure of 150 to 200 calories within those 30 minutes. The purpose of this study was to compare the calories burned during cardiovascular and strength training at moderate resistance.

Ten trained men performed 30 minutes of intermittent free-weight squatting at 70% of 1 repetition maximum and continuous cycling at 70% of VO2 Max. Measurements included VO2, caloric expenditure, heart rate, respiratory exchange ratio, work and rating of perceived exertion.

The researchers found that average caloric expenditure was 442 calories for the cycling activity versus 269 for the resistance activity. The subjects had a higher average VO2 for the cycling activity, and the total work was also higher for cycling than squatting. (Interestingly, perceived exertion was higher during squatting , although heart rates were identical for both cycling and squatting.)

On the surface, it appears that continuous aerobic activity results in a higher caloric expenditure than strength training for the same amount of time, but several factors must be considered: The 30 minutes of resistance training consisted of both work and rest periods so the actual time spent in work was only about 6 minutes compared to 30 minutes of continuous cycling. The work output per actual minute of exercise was almost double for the squatting exercise versus the cycling exercise. Fitness Professionals must also consider the effect of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC,) which increases lean mass and metabolic rate and is associated with resistance exercise. When these factors are considered it appears that resistance training is a viable mode of exercise for weight management and can be used to fulfill the minimum amounts of recommended physical activity for Americans.

Bloomer, Richard. Energy cost of moderate-duration resistance and aerobic exercise. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2005, 19(4), 878-882.

FIT BITS 12/29/05

Multiple Strength Sets Double

The Strength Gains of Single Set Training

Athletes and non-athletes perform resistance exercise, but surprisingly little research exists regarding program recommendations to develop muscle strength. The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of the number of sets and training speed on strength development.

A total of 115 healthy untrained men and women served as subjects. Subjects were assigned to one of four training groups: 1 set at fast speed, 1 set at slow speed, 3 sets at fast speed or 3 sets at slow speed. Subjects trained their biceps 3 days per week for six weeks.

The group that performed one set at slow speed increased their strength by 25% while the group that performed one set at fast speed only increased their strength by 11%. The group that performed three sets, at either speed, increased their strength by 48%, a significant increase over both of the single set groups.

The results of this study indicate that when one set training is utilized, slower speeds will result in greater strength gains than fast speeds, but that performing three sets at either speed will almost double the strength gains of a one set program. Fitness Professionals can use this information when developing programs where the goal is maximal gains in strength.

Munn, JoAnne. et al. Resistance training for strength: Effect of number of sets and contraction speed. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2005; 37(9). 1622-1626.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 30 2005, 12:53 AM)
Good stuff LR - keep them coming.

BTW - women who excercise regularly = hot heart.gif

yes.gif

Ran my wrestlers on a 5K today. Always gotta push myself hard with them so they don't think coach is a puss. 19:17. I may have made my goal!

QUOTE (Riv @ Dec 30 2005, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 30 2005, 12:53 AM)

yes.gif

Ran my wrestlers on a 5K today. Always gotta push myself hard with them so they don't think coach is a puss. 19:17. I may have made my goal!

19 minutes? That's damn good man - especially if you are weighed down with muscle.

Best I've ever done was just under 21:12 I believe.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Dec 29 2005, 05:53 PM)

i will keep em coming for everybody!!

tis the season and fa la la...

altho, keeping in shape should NEVER be seasonal...it should be a way of life!!

oh...and thanks for the compliment!! wink.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 8 2006, 08:14 PM)
Ugh - I just made the mistake of going in the aerobics class (Body Pump) at my new gym.

I dunno how T does this 4 times a week.... it's tough as hell. Aerobics is tough - not my thing.

i'm suprised you being a runner that you wouldn't like the fast pace of aerobics.....

i've been asthmatic all my life, and altho pilates has helped this ailment TREMENDOUSLY... i can't handle any heavy cardio like running or aerobics...

walking at a fast pace....biking and rollerblading, no problem yes.gif .... spinning and aerobics... no.gif

the more you do it tho... the better it can get unsure.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 9 2006, 08:04 AM)
Ugh - I just made the mistake of going in the aerobics class (Body Pump) at my new gym.

I dunno how T does this 4 times a week.... it's tough as hell.  Aerobics is tough - not my thing.

i'm suprised you being a runner that you wouldn't like the fast pace of aerobics.....

i've been asthmatic all my life, and altho pilates has helped this ailment TREMENDOUSLY... i can't handle any heavy cardio like running or aerobics...

walking at a fast pace....biking and rollerblading, no problem yes.gif .... spinning and aerobics... no.gif

Dunno - I enjoy cardio, like running, soccer, rollerblading, mountain biking etc.

But to be in a class, and follow instructions.... ugh.. I see and feel the benefits no doubt, but it just wasn't fun. May be I can grow to enjoy it.

I am making myself do this, eventhough I'm not enjoying it. So I know the benefits are there.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 9 2006, 10:56 AM)

I dunno how T does this 4 times a week.... it's tough as hell.  Aerobics is tough - not my thing.

Dunno - I enjoy cardio, like running, soccer, rollerblading, mountain biking etc.

But to be in a class, and follow instructions.... ugh.. I see and feel the benefits no doubt, but it just wasn't fun. May be I can grow to enjoy it.

I am making myself do this, eventhough I'm not enjoying it. So I know the benefits are there.

i just don't ged it...

if you don't enjoy it... then WHY do it?????

that's the fastest way to stop doing anything.... IMHO

there are so many great enjoyable exercises out there to get fit....you shouldn't have to resort to an exercise you don't enjoy.....

maybe if you tried a different instructor... that could solve the problem.... i think your instructor is another key ingredient to a successful workout routine....

i love my trainer... so maybe if your gym offers different classes and trainers you could try each of them and see if it jives with your NA standard.... wink.gif

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Feb 10 2006, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Feb 9 2006, 10:56 AM)

i just don't ged it...

if you don't enjoy it... then WHY do it?????

that's the fastest way to stop doing anything.... IMHO

there are so many great enjoyable exercises out there to get fit....you shouldn't have to resort to an exercise you don't enjoy.....

maybe if you tried a different instructor... that could solve the problem.... i think your instructor is another key ingredient to a successful workout routine....

i love my trainer... so maybe if your gym offers different classes and trainers you could try each of them and see if it jives with your NA standard.... wink.gif

Because T keeps asking me to. If I go a few times, and still don't enjoy it, then I'll go back down to weights.

This instructor was ok actually. My first time going, so may be I just wasn't used to it. I may give it another shot on Tuesday. I just hate cardio in the gym, you know?

When spring hits, I'll join a running club. Been a while since I ran with a group of people.

spring is approaching at a rapid pace ! (at leas in MY world, it seems to be tongue.gif ) Let's get moving!!!

FIT BITS...

Exercise Tips

Before you start an exercise program get approval from your physician.

Consistency - Find an exercise program that fits your schedule. I recommend something you enjoy that you can stick to. Have Fun.

When you exercise focus on what you are doing. Example, if you are working arms, focus on using them and visualize what you want them to look like. Stay focused.

Take one step at a time. Don't expect results right away. Take one day at a time, one workout at a time and enjoy. Before you know it you will start seeing results. Example: To get to the top of the mountain you don't jump to top. You keep moving forward, you go up and down but eventually you reach the peak.

Be will rounded in all areas of fitness. Strength training, cardio, flexibility are the three major areas of fitness. Circuit training is an effective way to get your cardio and strength training. Its always good to stretch after a workout or walk and when watching TV.

Make sure to breath correctly when working out. If you are doing free weights on the lowering phase (eccentric) breath in and on the lifting phase (concentric) breath out. If you are using hydraulic equipment, you breath comfortable - like when you run or swim.

Don't exercise on a full stomach. Wait an hour or more. Its OK to walk after a meal. The best thing to eat before a workout is something that digests easy such as fruit.

Drink plenty of water. Drink 8-8oz glasses of water a day. I believe you can drink more than this, especially if you are trying to lose weight or on a high protein diet. Make sure you drink water before, during and after a workout.

Be cautious when exercising. If you experience a feeling of dizziness, stop and call a physician.

Form - It is important to use good form when exercising to prevent injuries and get the most out of your workout. Free weights - On the lowering phase (eccentric) which is also called the negative phase go slow with control. (It is important to use weights you can do with good form to prevent injury.) On the lifting phase (concentric) which also called the positive phase lift with power and control. Hydraulic machines - When doing hydraulic machines there is no eccentric phase which means there is no tearing of muscle tissue. (Lower risk of injury) You have resistance on both ends which means its a double concentric phase. Example - If you are in the water move your arm side to side, you will feel resistance on both ends of the muscle. You would use faster speed when doing hydraulic machines. The faster you move with good form the more resistance the machine will have. These machines work all levels of people.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/body-builder.gif

Intensity - Make sure you just don't go through the motions of exercise. Its not the quantity/how long you exercise - its the quality/ how intense you exercise which gives you results.

Since last October I've started, gently at first, getting back into some sort of regular gym routine. I have a fair bit of back trouble so one of the aims was to strengthen my back muscles slowly.

My wife is a member of our local running club and occaisionally I go out and run some of the smaller distance races once or twice a year.

I'm hoping to run a 10k in the spring so I'm doing a lot of treadmill running.

I'm going 4 times a week now, doing cardio for the main part of the session and slowly building up the weights for the remainder.

Since January I've been running 35 mins and gently increasing the speed each time. I'm now able to run almost 7k in 35 mins from just over 5.5k when I started.

I'm hoping to continue to post my results here as a way of giving myself a reason to keep going when I may feel like taking a day or two off smile.gif

Are there any other TRF members that are training for something? Do you have any tips to share?

I've had back pain for years, and I was in a car accident one year ago, and begin to develop neck pain. At the time, I weighed around 205 lbs.

I began doing Yoga two days a week starting last May. It helped a little. Then I began to work-out on the days I didn't do Yoga. Running on the treadmill, and doing some light weights. This was around Aug last year. I still was not feeling that well. I was tired a lot and was having trouble concentrating at work.

Then in Sept I had a bit of an awakening. My diet for years had been terrible. I began to change my diet drastically. I stopped drinking diet sodas and stopped the fast food. This along with the exercise has made a huge difference. The Yoga is now really helping. My back and neck pain are basically gone. I'm down to 178 lbs. I haven't been at this weight since I was 18 years old. I'll be 39 this year and I've never felt better.

I'm not ready to run any Marathons.... But I sure feel better than a year ago.

That's an amazing co-incidence. I've stopped drinking diet cola since just after xmas. All my headaches have stopped. I was drinking quite a lot 3-4 cans a day.

It's great that you've overcome your back pain. I'm sure not having to carry around the extra weight has helped a great deal.

Congradulations Plodder-that is great progress!!

Isn't the hardest part of running just getting out the door?

While I am not at all training for any event,I have made weightlifting a regular part of my life for quite a few years now and it will always remain so.I just haven't quite found the inspiration to "get out the door" and run again.

QUOTE (plodder @ Mar 4 2006, 03:33 PM)
That's an amazing co-incidence. I've stopped drinking diet cola since just after xmas. All my headaches have stopped. I was drinking quite a lot 3-4 cans a day.

It's great that you've overcome your back pain. I'm sure not having to carry around the extra weight has helped a great deal.

I hear ya.. The diet soda is aweful for you.. It's the Aspartame that gives you the headaches. I drank 3-6 cans of Diet Pepsi a day for the last 8-9 years before I quit.. When I quit and started drinking water all day it's made a huge difference.... Flushing the chemicals out of my body. I've also done some internal cleansing (fiber and herbs)... and without getting into the details it has helped as well... I never understood how unhealthy I was until I started to get healthy! Now if I could just stop drinking booze!

(not gunna happen... wink.gif )

trink38.gif

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Mar 5 2006, 12:58 AM)
Congradulations Plodder-that is great progress!!
Isn't the hardest part of running just getting out the door?
While I am not at all training for any event,I have made weightlifting a regular part of my life for quite a few years now and it will always remain so.I just haven't quite found the inspiration to "get out the door" and run again.

Thanks.

i find running Ok as long as i set myself a goal. Just going out for a run around the streets doesn't hold any appeal for me at all.

I do four days a week at the gym.

Day one - Running and weights

Day two - Cross Trainer and waights

Day three - Running and weights

Day four - Stepper and weights.

I cycle back and forth to the gym so I omit the cycle in the gym.

Archived