Time to get Swole!!!

Riv

QUOTE (plodder @ Jun 25 2006, 02:32 PM)
Just ran my first 10k. Did it in 55 mins. Scorching heat at the venue but coped well.

smile.gif

applaudit.gif

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIT BITS

Treadmills may NOT be the best option for older adults

Walking is the most popular form of physical activity for older adults. Although the availability of neighborhoods, parks, and indoor malls provide safe and accessible options for over-ground walking, the use of treadmills by older adults has been on the rise.

A recent study at Wake Forrest University evaluated the effects of treadmill walking on: 1) gait variables at a preferred velocity and a prescribed intensity using RPE; and 2) the effects on physical function and participants' attitude toward training and level of enjoyment.

The researchers hypothesized that treadmill walking would reduce ground reaction forces and change gait patterns that affect function. In addition, it was speculated that older adults would experience a higher perceived intensity when using a treadmill compared to over-ground walking, thus reducing the cardio-respiratory benefits.

The results showed that older adults walked faster, used longer strides, and had a faster stride rate walking over-ground than when they walked on a treadmill. In essence, the treadmill walkers mimicked the gait patterns of low functioning older adults and exercised at a lower actual intensity compared to over-ground walkers. Participants in the over-ground condition performed better on the functional assessments than the participants in the treadmill condition.

In addition, the psychological variables tested proved important for identifying exercise adherence. The older adults in the over-ground training condition rated their program more positively and enjoyed their training more than participants in the treadmill condition.

This study might encourage the use of over-ground walking over treadmills if possible. However, if older adults choose to use treadmills, instruction on how to walk properly on a treadmill and specific recommendations for intensity may be necessary.

Medicine & Science in Sport and Exercise. 2006, 20 (2)

FIT BITS

It's possible you worked out a long time ago, or maybe you've never worked out a day in your life. You want to begin eating right and exercising, but you're sort of scared and would almost rather not pursue this endeavor because it just seems so daunting. However, you know you must.

Here are tips for the beginner:

1. GET A CHECKUP: Having a physical is a wise decision because it will help assure you will attain the most benefits with the least amount of risks. In addition, if you smoke, have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, obesity or other family history of disease, it's doubly important.

2. DECIDE: You'll need to write down and decide what it is you want to accomplish. For example, you may decide you want to lose 30 pounds or maybe you'll decide you want to be able to walk 5 miles without getting out of breath. How about fitting into that size 8 dress? Write it down, attaching short- and longer-term goals with dates. Just saying "I want to get in shape and lose weight" is not enough. There must be a target.

3. GET REAL: Take a close look at your schedule and be realistic concerning how many days and how much time you can realistically devote to exercise. This is going to be long-term, so it has to be based on reality. Too many people start working out every day and think that's the best approach. Wrong approach! For example, start by saying, "I have two to three days to devote to exercise for only 45 minutes at a time." It's the combination of efficient nutrition and exercise consistency that will yield the greatest benefit, not simply excessive exercise.

4. STRUCTURE: You won't be successful starting a "hit or miss" type of workout or nutrition program. You will need guidance.

5. EAT: Begin to get an understanding of how food affects the body. I'm not asking you to become a nutrition guru. Simply try to understand, for example, what happens to your body when you have a big bowl of pasta compared to a smaller amount of pasta combined with chicken and a small Caesar salad. Become familiar with the effect elevated blood sugar has on storing fat.

6. MAGIC POTIONS: Do not get fooled by supplements that "magically" reduce body fat, infomercials that sell ineffective products to get your abdominals flat and fitness magazines that show versions of unrealistic bodies. Remember, these companies are just trying to make a buck and most don't provide all the information you require to make a wise decision. They prey on emotion and impulse buying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/44EC4923000A9F69000044A322007340760.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/healthytips8.gif

Pics from my 10k race Sunday 3rd Sept:

Go Plod Go! About half-way through:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/goplodgo.jpg

After finishing:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/plodfinishrace.jpg

10k in 52.17 (unofficial time)

smile.gif

QUOTE (plodder @ Sep 3 2006, 09:14 AM)
Pics from my 10k race Sunday 3rd Sept:

Go Plod Go! About half-way through:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/goplodgo.jpg

After finishing:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mikerossi/plodder/plodfinishrace.jpg

10k in 52.17 (unofficial time)

smile.gif

cheer.gif

yay!! congrats!!

Thanks smile.gif

FIT BITS:

Body Composition

Does Not Necessarily Affect

Bone Mineral Density

Although there is great support for exercise to prevent osteoporosis, concerns remain about the effects of body fat loss on bone mineral density in post-menopausal women. If body fat loss results in further depletion of estrogen, would it have the effect of decreasing bone mass? Would this mean that aerobic-type exercise would be inadvisable for some at-risk women?

Fortunately, a recent study found that overweight post-menopausal women performing aerobic exercise to reduce body fat were able to maintain their bone mineral density. One hundred seventy-three previously sedentary, post-menopausal women who were not using hormone replacement therapy were recruited. All participants were either overweight or obese and none had been diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia.

The researchers had the women exercise on either a bicycle or treadmill for 45 minutes at a moderate intensity for 5 days per week over 12 months. Total body bone mineral density was measured before and after the study. The results of this study confirmed previous research findings that exercise can help maintain bone mineral density in post-menopausal women.

Interestingly, women with higher BMI and body fat lost greater amounts of lean body mass (LBM) with exercise. Also, women whose increased estradiol concentrations tended to lose LBM with exercise. The women in this study did not strength train during the 12-month intervention. These results might suggest a greater need to take steps to retain LBM with a strength-training regimen in overweight post-menopausal women who are on a weight loss program.

Overall, the researchers deemed this study important because it confirmed that weight loss and aerobic exercise designed to reduce risk for heart disease and cancer did not increase the risk for osteoporosis in post-menopausal women.

Chubak, J, et al (2006) Effect of Exercise on Bone Mineral Density and Lean Mass in Postmenopausal Women. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 1236-1244.

QUOTE (Riv @ Jul 12 2005, 06:16 PM)
QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Jul 13 2005, 02:06 AM)
Can anyone have this diet?  Or is it just for the Rush men?  wink.gif

Sounds good  smile.gif

Anyone who wants to gain lean muscle while reducing body fat. But you have to stick to a good workout program. I am lifting Monday through Saturday and I do cardio every day. You can keep it interesting by running one day, biking the next, and doing the stairmaster on leg days. You don't really need to do cardio every day, but at least 3 days a week would be good. Be sure to do your cardio after your workout so you don't wear out your muscles causing you to be able to lift as much weight.

Here's a sample:

Monday:

Chest

Triceps

Run

Tuesday:

Biceps

Back

abs

Bike

Wednesday:

Legs

Shoulders

Lats

Stairmaster

Thursday:

Chest

Triceps

Run

....and so forth

Take Sunday off.

Wow, very similar to my workout, with the exception of the cardio. I don't do a lot of that in the winter time. When spring time comes around I'll start running a mile or two a day and hitting the bike as well. Here's how mine looks right now...

Mon - Chest, Tris, Abs

Tue - Bicep, Back, Forearms, Abs

Wed - Legs, Shoulders, Abs

Thu - (See Mon)

Fri - (See Tue)

Sat - Off

Sun - Legs, Shoulders, Lower Back (almost always deadlifts)

Maybe I need to start paying attention to this thread.

I'm back over 200 lbs again, for the second time in my life, a development I attribute mostly to too much sitting on my ass and not enough exercise.

The other time it happened, I got so disgusted with myself that I made up my mind to take serious steps to do something about it, and did -- getting down to a lean 170 (I am 6 feet tall). But then, gradually, I let myself slide to this point again. Ah, well.

QUOTE (Drunk Pirate Robert @ Nov 22 2006, 09:56 PM)
Maybe I need to start paying attention to this thread.

I'm back over 200 lbs again, for the second time in my life, a development I attribute mostly to too much sitting on my ass and not enough exercise.

The other time it happened, I got so disgusted with myself that I made up my mind to take serious steps to do something about it, and did -- getting down to a lean 170 (I am 6 feet tall). But then, gradually, I let myself slide to this point again. Ah, well.

That's great, how did you lose the weight?

Unfortunately I have been neglecting this thread because I felt the only people who even gave a shit was me and LRF80. Thankfully she has kept it alive.

Archived