Time to get Swole!!!

Riv

QUOTE (Riv @ Oct 9 2005, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Oct 9 2005, 07:24 AM)
just out of curiosity--workouts 3 times a week, how long for each workout?

thanks a ton for all the info, man.  biggrin.gif

Sure, tuna salad is fine, I eat tuna every day. Normally I just eat it right out of the can, though...but I'm not going to discourage you against eating tuna salad because it's a huge step above pretzels. Use a whole grain or wheat bread. Also, beef jerky is a good snack.

Here is a good website to order from, this is an example of a weight gainer. If you do a search on this site you will find more weight gainers to choose from:

Nutrition Express

Don't go to GNC and be conned into buying anything you don't need.

How long you workout really depends on you. Some people will tell you to go no more than an hour in the gym. I generally workout for around an hour and a half...taking only about 2 minutes in between sets. If you join a gym get with a personal trainer there and I'm sure they would be more than happy to set you up with a plan that will work for you.

actually, a can would probably be easier to manage at lunch. sandwiches would be better to sneak between classes. and, i love beef jerky, so that's pretty cool too.

hmm, if i got..say, the strawberry flavor, could i add strawberries to the shake? or would that defeat the purpose?

i'm thinking an hour would be good for me. i haven't had a single homework-less night since school started (& it's not easy stuff), so i don't want to be too wiped out when i get home. would you say it's best to start at a lower time, & work my way up to one hour?

okay. i think it's time for me to shut up laugh.gif

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Oct 9 2005, 06:53 PM)

actually, a can would probably be easier to manage at lunch. sandwiches would be better to sneak between classes. and, i love beef jerky, so that's pretty cool too.

hmm, if i got..say, the strawberry flavor, could i add strawberries to the shake? or would that defeat the purpose?

i'm thinking an hour would be good for me. i haven't had a single homework-less night since school started (& it's not easy stuff), so i don't want to be too wiped out when i get home. would you say it's best to start at a lower time, & work my way up to one hour?

okay. i think it's time for me to shut up laugh.gif

Don't shut up, if you have questions I want to answer them. I would rather you ask them. Putting fresh fruit in your shakes is a great idea. I like to make my protein shakes blended with frozen fruit. Like, frozen blueberries in particular. Fruit is good for you!

An hour is not that long. Just take it easy at first, don't push yourself too hard. Your muscles are going to be shocked for a couple of weeks and you'll be very sore if you really push it. After the intitial pain the soreness won't be as bad, and you'll actually enjoy it. When you lift weights the objective is to 'tear' your muscles, causing them to rebuild the tears, thus making them bigger. When you wake up and feel a little sore, you know you are on the right track. After a couple of months you WILL notice a difference, and it will motivate the hell out of you.

how in the world have i missed this thread???

i'm actually in the process of becoming a trainer..... specifically for Pilates.....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif but i have been working out for years ladies.....

when i have more time to devote to this thread...

AND to read the great information Riv has posted... i'll be able to contribute more....

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Oct 10 2005, 02:49 PM)
how in the world have i missed this thread???
i'm actually in the process of becoming a trainer..... specifically for Pilates.....

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif but i have been working out for years ladies.....

when i have more time to devote to this thread...
AND to read the great information Riv has posted... i'll be able to contribute more....

Welcome!!!

Glad to see some nterest around here

We look forward to your input!

QUOTE (Riv @ Oct 9 2005, 04:07 PM)

Don't shut up, if you have questions I want to answer them. I would rather you ask them. Putting fresh fruit in your shakes is a great idea. I like to make my protein shakes blended with frozen fruit. Like, frozen blueberries in particular. Fruit is good for you!
An hour is not that long. Just take it easy at first, don't push yourself too hard. Your muscles are going to be shocked for a couple of weeks and you'll be very sore if you really push it. After the intitial pain the soreness won't be as bad, and you'll actually enjoy it. When you lift weights the objective is to 'tear' your muscles, causing them to rebuild the tears, thus making them bigger. When you wake up and feel a little sore, you know you are on the right track. After a couple of months you WILL notice a difference, and it will motivate the hell out of you.

yay, fruit biggrin.gif

hmm..i remember last year my drill instructor pe coach would push us every single day, SO hard. i'm no tough guy, but i don't usually give up that easy..& after all his freakin leg, arm, & ab stretches (not to mention all the sprints we had to do whilst doing something that looked funny, so we could stretch) for our warmups, i'd be too wiped out to feel like doing anything else. that prolly makes me sound like a real pansy--but i'm young, and it hurt, and it was a required course! laugh.gif so yeah, he explained all that to us, then proceeded to make us demonstrate it all year. but that's enough of my bitching about something that happened a year ago laugh.gif

i kinda missed PE after it was over, mainly because even though i hated the exercise, i remember being really proud of myself for doing it, keeping my mouth shut, & surviving it in general. wink.gif i'm sure without all the exercise/stretches/things you do, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself. exercise for me has always been a motivator to do other things--after sitting on the computer for awhile, i don't want to do ANYTHING, but after going for a good jog, i feel like doing something productive. i'm sure it's the same way for you.

ladi--nice to see you in here!! smile.gif

I'm getting back into going to the gym regularly now. I was a member of a private gym, but the standard of cleanliness left a lot to be desired so I quit.

I entered some road races this year and did Ok for my standard. Was running against dedicated club runners and didn't really threaten any of their times but still did OK.

I'm a bit hesitant about taking supplements. I seem to get on Ok with normal healthy eating.

Are they 100% safe?

Just come back from doing some CV work, weights and a swim to warm down. I'm going to enter a half marathon next year along with at least one 10k. I haven't had any alcohol for almost two months now, not really missing it to be honest. I drink WAY too much diet cola though.

QUOTE (plodder @ Oct 15 2005, 08:45 PM)

I'm a bit hesitant about taking supplements. I seem to get on Ok with normal healthy eating.

Are they 100% safe?

That's a loaded question, huh? I guess it would depend on what supplement you are talking about. However, most all supplements contain elements that your body already produces, it just gives you a boost to take it to the next level, hence that is why they are called "supplements". Sure, you can get all that your body needs just by eating right, but if you want to put on muscle you would need to go above and beyond what you would get just by eating.

QUOTE (happysmiles007 @ Oct 12 2005, 04:33 AM)
QUOTE (Riv @ Oct 9 2005, 04:07 PM)

yay, fruit biggrin.gif

hmm..i remember last year my drill instructor pe coach would push us every single day, SO hard. i'm no tough guy, but i don't usually give up that easy..& after all his freakin leg, arm, & ab stretches (not to mention all the sprints we had to do whilst doing something that looked funny, so we could stretch) for our warmups, i'd be too wiped out to feel like doing anything else. that prolly makes me sound like a real pansy--but i'm young, and it hurt, and it was a required course! laugh.gif so yeah, he explained all that to us, then proceeded to make us demonstrate it all year. but that's enough of my bitching about something that happened a year ago laugh.gif

i kinda missed PE after it was over, mainly because even though i hated the exercise, i remember being really proud of myself for doing it, keeping my mouth shut, & surviving it in general. wink.gif i'm sure without all the exercise/stretches/things you do, you wouldn't know what to do with yourself. exercise for me has always been a motivator to do other things--after sitting on the computer for awhile, i don't want to do ANYTHING, but after going for a good jog, i feel like doing something productive. i'm sure it's the same way for you.

ladi--nice to see you in here!! smile.gif

Any updates here?

i just read MOST (there's so much of it)of the massive amount of information you posted Riv and i'm thoroughly impressed!!

i'm just training to become a measly pilates instructor.....

now i feel a little intimidated.... ph34r.gif

but...all this info is awesome for me to feed to my clients...(when i finally finish and actually have some!!)

years ago....late 20's.....tired.....and sick of my own flabby body... i started working out in my own home (couldn't afford a gym)....i started out with a little cardio (really only 5-10 minutes worth) just to get warmed up....my asthma prevented me from getting into heavy cardio (but that's me)....so anyway... then i went into some basic free weight exercises that i would find either online, or in fitness magazines.... i'd cut them out, paste them on large sheets of paper or cardboard, and have them on the wall in the room where i worked out...and every week i'd mix it up cuz variety is the spice of life where your body & workout is concerned!! i'd also do some basic floor exercises for my abs, legs and glutes, and back ..... in my previous home, i had a room upstairs that wasn't utilized much...and that became my workout santuary.... lots of sunlight... one huge window to look out of...and a loud radio to jam to.....i would block out the world for at least one hour, 5/6 days a week...

i found my body in the best shape it had ever been... great definition in the arms and legs...and i was getting there with the abs but what i didn't know at the time, is the ab stuff i was doing was all wrong...

then, we ended up doing some work for an old customer, and i found out thru my guys that the woman taught an exercise class out of the basement of her house... we had moved by that time, and i no longer had that awesome work out room, and had succumb to my basement to work out...and i tell ya, it just wasn't the same... my cardio machine broke and couldn't fit in my downsized house anyways...so now that was gone (altho i have an old train track that has been converted into a paved trail that runs behind my property which i have come to love..... ) i began to lose my enthusiasm....desire and drive to work out like i used to.... i called up this customer and talked to her about what she does out of her home... she invited me to a class to check it out...and i have been hooked ever since. four years now....

i love what pilates has done for me, and my body...

i have increased my flexability...

i have increased my breathing capasity (to which my allergist who treats my asthma is THRILLED...)

i've not gained much in the way of muscle bulk, but my muscles are just as strong, and much leaner than before....(which is what most women desire anyway)

i have improved my posture and feel as tho i've gained an inch in height because of the improved posture....(maybe i have!!)

my abs before we're strong, but because of pilates, my abs, or 'core' are stronger, and more defined than ever before......(i'm far from six pack abs, but there's some definition i'm proud of!)

and now that i've incorporated the reformer machine with my mat workouts...i've regained (from muscle memory) some of that definition in my arms, back and legs i had kinda lost before (but never missed)

i am still working on the healthier eating in my household... a lifetime of poor habits is very hard to break... but we're getting there!!

i just loved what Melissa (my trainer) had taught me so much... i felt i wanted to be able to do the same for people...so i signed up with the Stott Pilates certification program (they are based out of Toronto, but have training facilites all over the world)....

and i'm amazed at everything i have learned..and still have to learn...

it's overwhelming for a person like me....

baby steps.....

that's my story...

more later...

until next time.....

Skipping Breakfast Results

In Higher Daily Caloric Intake

Many American women skip breakfast, either due to lack of time or a desire to lose weight. The purpose of this study was to determine how eating breakfast affects energy intake, energy expenditure, and circulating insulin, glucose, and lipid concentrations in healthy women. Ten women with normal BMIs were subjects. Each woman ate breakfast every morning for 2 weeks and then skipped breakfast every day for 2 weeks.

The women were tested before and after each period. The results showed that skipping breakfast resulted in a greater overall daily calorie intake, higher total and LDL cholesterol concentrations, and somewhat greater insulin resistance.

The results of this study indicate that omitting breakfast causes metabolic shifts in insulin sensitivity that result in greater food consumption, higher cholesterol concentrations, and a greater risk for weight gain. Fitness Professionals are encouraged to share this information with their clients to educate them about the importance of eating breakfast daily.

Eccentric Muscle Strength

Maintained Even Without Training

It is well documented that resistance training increases strength during maximal eccentric muscle contraction. The goal of this study was to examine the effect of detraining on changes in maximal muscle strength.

Thirteen young, sedentary men were subjects. Maximal knee extensor strength was measured before and after 3 months of heavy resistance training. Knee extensor strength was measured again after 3 months without training.

The researchers found that after 3 months of training, significant increases in both eccentric and concentric muscle strength were noted, along with increases in the cross-sectional area. Following 3 months without training, however, the researchers found that maximal muscle strength was maintained during eccentric, but not concentric, contraction. The results of this study indicate that heavy resistance training results in longer-lasting gains in eccentric strength which may be helpful for clients who must interrupt their training for a short time.

Andersen, Lars, L. Neuromuscular adaptations to detraining following resistance training in previously untrained subjects. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2005: 93 (5-6), 511-518.

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 14 2005, 10:02 PM)
Hey Riv -

At this one location of my gym they have these stainless steel Hammer Strength machines. You control the resistance with foot pedals that pump it up with air instead of weights. They're pretty cool. Ever try them?

No, I've never seen anything like that! Sounds interesting, except for the fact that when you get tired you want to puss out and offer yourself less resistance. You've seen my gym, pretty much all free-weights, with the traditional bars and pull down machines. I'm not exactly allowed to run around free-range here, being in the position I'm in. But I love my gym, and The stereo is jammin!

I had a hard time after Romania because all of the drinking and f***ing drained my body of the essentials. I must have lost 10 pounds there. But, I'm back in the swing and feeling great. Just started another cycle two weeks ago and have already made tremendous gains, and I just ran 3 miles in 18:30 yesterday....so I'm feeling good.

It's too bad that there are like 3 of us here that actually care about this shit.

I've got my work cut out for me now because I start coaching wrestling here at the American School, grades 6-12, tomorrow. I used to coach JV back in college so it should be cool, it's just making time for myself that sucks. Anyways, it comes with a free trip to Dubai for a tournament in February, and I hear the chicks there put out!

That's true - but I tended to make it heavier at times between sets. I found that a useful feature.

Holy f**k! You can run 3 miles in 18:30 minutes? You can keep up 3 straight 6 minute miles? How fast can you do one mile? The best I can do is 21 minutes for 3 miles (3 straight 7 minute miles). That's very damn good considering all the weight you are carrying. Back in highschool I may have been able to get 3 straight 6 minute miles, but not any more.

QUOTE (ladirushfan80 @ Nov 5 2005, 05:46 PM)
i just read MOST (there's so much of it)of the massive amount of information you posted Riv and i'm thoroughly impressed!!

i'm just training to become a measly pilates instructor.....
now i feel a little intimidated.... ph34r.gif

Pilates, huh?

I am not too familiar with that. Is that the exercise that uses precise movements to maintain a lean muscular physique? Kind of like less reps but more focused, to keep your muscles toned but not gain mass?

If it's what I think it sounds good, there's like some dude who is the founder of that. If it works for you I say great, and I'm always here for anything you need.

I'm glad you're around, I lost a lot of sleep thinking I was going to turn happysmiles into a bulking WWF wrestler.

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 15 2005, 05:00 AM)
That's true - but I tended to make it heavier at times between sets. I found that a useful feature.

Holy f**k! You can run 3 miles in 18:30 minutes? You can keep up 3 straight 6 minute miles? How fast can you do one mile? The best I can do is 21 minutes for 3 miles (3 straight 7 minute miles). That's very damn good considering all the weight you are carrying. Back in highschool I may have been able to get 3 straight 6 minute miles, but not any more.

Ah, well, I run everyday. Used to be I couldn't get past doing 3 miles in 19:00. But then I quit smoking. If I was to run just one mile I could do it in 5:30. It's all mental, bro!

Although, I don't really enjoy running anymore, I have to. In the Corps we have to do physical fitness tests. It only counts three times a year, but in the program I am in we have to do one once a month. It consists of a three mile run, pull-ups, and crunches.

A perfect score of 300 (100 for each) is an 18:00 run, 20 dead hang pull-ups, and 100 crunches in 2:00. Right now I am perfect except for the damn :30 seconds I have to shave off of my run, but I'll get it!

QUOTE (Barney's Alter @ Nov 15 2005, 06:08 AM)
I can run a mile in 5:30 I think - my best time in highschool was may be just under 5 (like 4:5x).

I would love to be able to break the 20 minute barrier. May be some day.

Ah, I know you can do it.

Archived