Brady-Manning XIV...some previews

laughedatbytime

Yesterday I got my haircut. My barber and I and another guy in the shop were talking about the game. They both had bet AGAINST the Patriots. I'm too cheap to gamble. Anyways, my barber suggested that the Patriots would be better served dropping back into coverage, his theory being that blitzing Manning would be bad. I said that if they did not pressure him, Manning would pick them apart. I think I was right.

The other guy said he thought that Brady would be able to throw on the Broncos defense, and so he was taking the over, which he had teased down to 35. I said if he hit on the over, we could probably assume the Patriots had lost. I thought if they didn't respect the fact that Blount and Ridley had brought them to this game they'd lose, because relying on Brady and the passing game had been the team's downfall since January of 2006. I think I was right.

I get that they played over their heads to get to this point. But they could have beaten the Broncos, and they didn't.

This is the second year that Talib and Gronkowski were not available in the AFC Championship. They're not soft, but they're fragile. It's time to part ways with Talib. And it's time to recognize that they need another tight end because Gronkowski can't stay healthy.

Good luck to the NFC champions.

• Like 1

Yesterday I got my haircut. My barber and I and another guy in the shop were talking about the game. They both had bet AGAINST the Patriots. I'm too cheap to gamble. Anyways, my barber suggested that the Patriots would be better served dropping back into coverage, his theory being that blitzing Manning would be bad. I said that if they did not pressure him, Manning would pick them apart. I think I was right.

The other guy said he thought that Brady would be able to throw on the Broncos defense, and so he was taking the over, which he had teased down to 35. I said if he hit on the over, we could probably assume the Patriots had lost. I thought if they didn't respect the fact that Blount and Ridley had brought them to this game they'd lose, because relying on Brady and the passing game had been the team's downfall since January of 2006. I think I was right.

I get that they played over their heads to get to this point. But they could have beaten the Broncos, and they didn't.

This is the second year that Talib and Gronkowski were not available in the AFC Championship. They're not soft, but they're fragile. It's time to part ways with Talib. And it's time to recognize that they need another tight end because Gronkowski can't stay healthy.

You have to be able to run the ball. The game is too easy to defend if you know the other team will be passing.

I agree the Pats did great to get this far. That says a lot for the tradition of winning.

• Like 2

You have to be able to run the ball. The game is too easy to defend if you know the other team will be passing.

I agree the Pats did great to get this far. That says a lot for the tradition of winning.

Local columnist and sports talk show host Gerry Callahan ridicules that idea, suggesting the Patriots don't need balance, they just need to keep throwing the ball. It makes me want to beat my head against the wall.

• Like 1

Local columnist and sports talk show host Gerry Callahan ridicules that idea, suggesting the Patriots don't need balance, they just need to keep throwing the ball. It makes me want to beat my head against the wall.

Well, that approach is entertaining and will get you to the playoffs, if you have a guy like Brady. You'll beat the bad, mediocre, and even some good teams. Not most good ones, and certainly not the excellent ones.

Well, that approach is entertaining and will get you to the playoffs, if you have a guy like Brady. You'll beat the bad, mediocre, and even some good teams. Not most good ones, and certainly not the excellent ones.

Plus you're gambling that he won't have an off day. Brady's in the conversation for best QB ever. But he's human. And Woody Hayes was right about throwing the ball IMO.