Rush Albums You That You Finally Got A Chance To Listen To All Of It...

agubrizbassman

What I Mean: I bought a Rush, 5 Greatest albums Box set at Best Buy like in March, so It comes with Fly By Night, 2112, A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures, and Signals... But the Only ones I ever got to listen to were Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, and Moving Pictures, but for some reason on 2112, the only tracks i listened to were 2112 and A Passage to Bangkok and on Signals, it was only Subdivisions and Analog Kid. Don't Judge me, but this is when i started listening to Rush, yes i know what you guys are thinking. Yes I barely started listening to Rush at around the End of 2012/ Beginning of this Year, im a late bloomer, I know. But like, I thought in my mine that I should listen to 2112, and I did, and I love it, And same with Signals, Signals is probably one of my favorite Rush albums.... I'm like this with Roll the Bones and Hold Your Fire, but I do like what ive heard.... So has this ever happened to you?? I got this Idea from the Rush Fans instagram page that the administrator says that this happened to him with Presto.... Let me hear (well see) your stories...

Hey man, you shouldn't feel bad for not hearing entire albums. I wasn't able to fully listen to Vapor Trails until the remix came out. And I've been listening since 2008 or so. It took me about 2 and a half years to hear Hemispheres, as well as Caress of Steel. I knew tracks on each of the albums, but i never listened to the entire thing. So you shouldn't feel bad for listening to bits and pieces here, it's just nice that you're listening to them.

Around 2007 I started getting into classic rock. That was when I discovered Led Zeppelin & the Beatles and completely immersed myself in it. I remember downloading all their songs and playing them on shuffle for hours in my room, just absorbing everything. I found other bands and among them was a mix of random songs by Rush. Songs like Nobody's Hero & Working Man stuck me in a way other songs didn't. Then came Limelight and Far Cry and Red Sector A. I grew to love the band through glimpses throughout their career. It wasn't until 1-3 years later that I started listening to all their albums and growing more familiar with their songs. It wasn't even until 2009-10 that I realized they were my favorite band. The playback I got from Zeppelin & The Beatles slowly faded as I played them to death, yet Rush was the one band that remained. I still play them to death, I still have yet to get sick of them, and being able to see them live for the first time a year ago next Saturday was amazing for me. Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

With Rush, that has happened with Rush and Caress of Steel. These were some of the last ones I got, and I was kind of scared to listen to them due to their debut being pre-Neil and overall very zeppelin-ish and Caress of Steel being the failure of the band. To this day I have never listened to the albums start to finish. I have heard all the songs by now through my shuffle function on my ipod, but when I decide I want to hear a rush album, there are so many good ones to choose from, I have never decided to take the shot, but I will someday. Other albums that have had a similar effect on me are Green Day's American Idiot, which was my first album and I primarily wanted to hear just the hits, and though I listened to a couple of other songs once and a while, I never listened start to finish until I revisited it many years later. The other albums are basically anything by weird al growing up. As a kid, you want to hear the songs you recognise with funny lyrics, so I listened to those songs. Took me many years to discover the genius of his originals.

Wow, that was so long ago. I have many deleted brain cells, so I no longer remember all the details. I started getting into Rush around 1980-81 after hearing The Spirit of Radio on the radio, and being well aware of my older brothers fandom by that point. I somehow accumulated and digested every LP over the next couple three years. I utilized their long play records played loudly at home, and cassette tape technology (I preferred Maxell) in the car. I have distinct memories of listening to the debut Rush album while going to my architecture classes, and listening to AFTK while flying down the road to work in the early 80's. By the time Signals came out, my first new Rush release, I think I pretty much had every Rush album- even Archives. :codger:

I have yet to properly give the debut a real listen, and only just got around to listening to fly by night properly after having it for ages!

I still need to get Hold Your Fire through to Feedback, but I am worried I will get them and never play them, as I really got put off by Power Windows!

There are some albums I have not listened to in their entirety in a long time like rush and fbn. Mostly I listen all the way through. If you just started listening to them in the last couple years it's no big deal that you are still getting into some albums. They have a big catalog and the music takes time to absorb. This isn't pop music.

There are some albums I have not listened to in their entirety in a long time like rush and fbn. Mostly I listen all the way through. If you just started listening to them in the last couple years it's no big deal that you are still getting into some albums. They have a big catalog and the music takes time to absorb. This isn't pop music.

I am sure this isn't directed at me, but I am encouraged by these words! A lot of the thirteen rush albums I own are still growing on me, and lately its been AFTK and Hem especially! So yeah...I will keep on going. I used to really dislike Signals, but lately its become thoroughly listenable, but I can't see PoW growing on me, which is frustrating because I really appreciate the sound. It just leaves me cold!

I like to go in chronological order, so how is Hold Your Fire?

I am sure this isn't directed at me, but I am encouraged by these words! A lot of the thirteen rush albums I own are still growing on me, and lately its been AFTK and Hem especially! So yeah...I will keep on going. I used to really dislike Signals, but lately its become thoroughly listenable, but I can't see PoW growing on me, which is frustrating because I really appreciate the sound. It just leaves me cold!

I like to go in chronological order, so how is Hold Your Fire?

It is generally considered among the worst Rush albums made; even the band says that they went too far with the keyboards on that one. Having said that, there's still a lot to like on the album. It's just very different than the Rush you started listening to or current Rush.

...so how is Hold Your Fire?

Forming your opinion based on some random internet jockey is pointless. For me HYF is well below Power Windows which you say you hate. I made the mistake of staying away from Vapor Trails because of the loudness (pun intended) of the negative minority. Figure out what you like on your own.

I've never seen a verbal description of music that ever gave me insight into what something I've never heard will sound like, even if it makes perfect sense in hindsight.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 1

I started listening when RTB came out and my brother got that album and Exit Stage Left. I really liked both but didn't go further into Rush. A while later a friend lent me Chronicles and I loved everything up till subdivisions and didn't like the rest.

A while later another friend lent me 2112 and that was when I really started listening to albums. I got all the albums from Rush to Signals in the next year or 2, and I listened to all of them except signals, which I just didn't like that much (which is why I didn't get any more albums. I got T4E when it came out, and didn't get anything else for a couple of years. Then, something clicked and I like all of the albums except for Counterparts, which I didn't really like when it was released and still don't.

• Like 1

Will see...may just get the recent box set and then save HYF for last. I don't hate Power Windows, its just not the side of Rush I fell in love with, and if it was I don't think I would have gone any further!

Saying that, I do love Grace Under Pressure with a passion, so I'm not against the synth era, and Signals has finally grown on me! So I have some faith in PoW. As someone said, this isn't pop music!

Playing Power Windows again...

It is...dare I say it...getting better?