What is remixing?

theanalogmiddleagedman

I am not sure how you do it, but I like it?

I get the general concept. I am just wondering if all these new "sounds" were in the original mix, just not up in the mix or if they were parts that were recorded and not included in the original mix, etc.

I really like the new mix!

There is the crazy reverb in secret touch that for some reason gave me super intense chills.

I am confident an interview regarding the process will surface eventually :yes:

one would imagine

I wouldn't waste my imagination on that!

http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/131/992d76c431e84958a0183f189b044920/l.gif

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

I get the general concept. I am just wondering if all these new "sounds" were in the original mix, just not up in the mix or if they were parts that were recorded and not included in the original mix, etc.

There is the crazy reverb in secret touch that for some reason gave me super intense chills.

There are basically three steps in the recording process:

1. Recording -- laying down the original recorded tracks.

2. Mixing -- processing the individual tracks for optimal sound with respect to each other. Can include adding compression, EQ, reverb, and adjusting the volume of each track relative to each other track. The basic goal here is to create an initial mix, which is pleasing to the ear and in which ech instrument sits nicely in it's own sonic space (for instance the bass isn't covered up by the guitar, the keys aren't buried, the drums sound nice and crisp, etc).

3. Mastering -- processing the mix as a WHOLE for the final medium it will be released on. This might involve very little processing after what was done in the mixing stage. Or, the re-mix engineer might decide to tighten up the whole bass end or add more treble to the mix as a whole. Or whatever.

Based on what we know now, it sound like there were two problems with the original VT release:

1. There were some guitar tracks recorded too loud, probably on the edge of distortion, which got mixed too loud in the original mix

2. The mastering engineer put too much compression on the overall mix in an effort to make the album sound louder.

It sounds to me like this new mix selected some alternate tracks which were originally not used -- e.g. all the new guitar solos we hear -- and turned down the volume of the offending guitar tracks. Finally, a lot less compression was used in the mastering process, increasing the dynamic range of the record and letting the mix "breathe" a little more.

It's more complicated than what I've explained here, but hopefully, this helps.

Edited by Ron2112
  • Like 6

There are basically three steps in the recording process:

1. Recording -- laying down the original recorded tracks.

2. Mixing -- processing the individual tracks for optimal sound with respect to each other. Can include adding compression, EQ, reverb, and adjusting the volume of each track relative to each other track. The basic goal here is to create an initial mix, which is pleasing to the ear and in which ech instrument sits nicely in it's own sonic space (for instance the bass isn't covered up by the guitar, the keys aren't buried, the drums sound nice and crisp, etc).

3. Mastering -- processing the mix as a WHOLE for the final medium it will be released on. This might involve very little processing after what was done in the mixing stage. Or, the re-mix engineer might decide to tighten up the whole bass end or add more treble to the mix as a whole. Or whatever.

Based on what we know now, it sound like there were two problems with the original VT release:

1. There were some guitar tracks recorded too loud, probably on the edge of distortion, which got mixed too loud in the original mix

2. The mastering engineer put too much compression on the overall mix in an effort to make the album sound louder.

It sounds to me like this new mix selected some alternate tracks which were originally not used -- e.g. all the new guitar solos we hear -- and turned down the volume of the offending guitar tracks. Finally, a lot less compression was used in the mastering process, increasing the dynamic range of the record and letting the mix "breathe" a little more.

It's more complicated than what I've explained here, but hopefully, this helps.

You forgot the most import part: Writing!