New 30 second clips of Vapor Trail remix

losingit2k

The reason Rush have waited so long is clear, it can only be for legal reasons. To admit it's a faulty product soon after the release could have proved costly..

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac.

You wouldn't sue McD's simply because you didn't like the taste of the burger, but what if that burger was improperly prepared?

There were no manufacturing flaws as existed with one of the box sets recently (and were replaced quickly). You don't have any ground suing an artist over artistic decisions. Flaws in sound are purely subjective. Plenty of people like the way it sounded originally.

Mixing and mastering the album way too hot was not an artistic decision. It was an error in workmanship on the last two steps of the process, which was clearly stated by Geddy himself.

I'm sure there is an amateur cooking board where someone would claim that not having 2 parts mayo to one part ketchup is an error in workmanship too and that a lawsuit against someone who sold a burger with a different ratio would have merit. Such is the internet. 'Tis a silly place.

If there is an industry name for a common practice (i.e. loudness wars) it's pretty hard to argue that it's not an artistic decision.

We're going in circles here, and you're presenting analogies that don't jive with the VT situation, so this will be my last response to you.

Adjusting the ratio of condiments doesn't make a burger taste wrong, just different. It would depend on whether you preferred ketchup or mayo. VT was mixed and mastered INCORRECTLY.

As for the "loudness wars," albums nowadays are mastered hot so they sound "good" through iPods/iPhones and earbuds -- they're compressed to hell so that the quiet parts of songs are closely matched to the louder parts. The dynamics are killed on purpose. THAT is an artistic decision made by the record companies to sell more songs on iTunes.

With Clockwork Angels, Alex stated that Rush and Roadrunner Records came to a compromise on how CA was mastered -- the band wanted the best sound quality possible, with all the dynamics retained, but the record company wanted to cater to the download folks, so they met in the middle. THAT is an artistic decision.

VT, again, as stated by Geddy himself, was mixed and mastered WRONG. The album didn't just sound overcompressed, it sounded buzzy and cacophonous and distorted. No one would purposely make an album sound that way unless it was some weird avant-garde noise rock, which Rush is most certainly not. Processing VT the way they did 11 years ago was not an artistic decision....which is why they admitted the mistakes and re-did it.

• Like 4

Yeah, he's always been on a VT rampage. But we know that. We expect it. It wouldn't be the same without it. It doesn't make him a Troll though. He just hates the Album and thats fine. He always mentions the good with the Bad.

I hate to harp, but if you're referring to VT, he doesn't mention the good.. any good. No good. All bad. Okay? I think that's been the point.

Sorry to interrupt again. Back to the 30 sec clip discussion. :)

I meant he mentions what he likes about RUSH (the Good) when he's bashing VT (the Bad). He does mention that RUSH has 15 good albums to offset the 5 mediocre ones. Thats a good statement in my book and basically what I meant.

What does it matter? Even if he only liked one album he's entitled to give his opinion on why he dislikes the others. What are you frightened of?

I'm not frighten of anything. I was defended is right to dissent.

I'm enticed by the remix, but will not purchase it purely on basis of principle. I'll either burn the CD or have a friend DL it for me. I've paid for the album, back in 2002, so I have no ethical objections to obtaining a corrected version, gratis. Edited by GeminiRising79

I'm enticed by the remix, but will not purchase it purely on basis of principle. I'll either burn the CD or have a friend DL it for me. I've paid for the album, back in 2002, so I have no ethical objections to obtaining a corrected version, gratis.

Alright we get it. Spotify/Grooveshark, my friend.

Yeah, he's always been on a VT rampage. But we know that. We expect it. It wouldn't be the same without it. It doesn't make him a Troll though. He just hates the Album and thats fine. He always mentions the good with the Bad.

I hate to harp, but if you're referring to VT, he doesn't mention the good.. any good. No good. All bad. Okay? I think that's been the point.

Sorry to interrupt again. Back to the 30 sec clip discussion. :)

I meant he mentions what he likes about RUSH (the Good) when he's bashing VT (the Bad). He does mention that RUSH has 15 good albums to offset the 5 mediocre ones. Thats a good statement in my book and basically what I meant.

Just to be clear, it's 15 great albums and one really good EP to offset the 4 mediocre to bad ones. You know I'm not going to let the fact that they have 19 albums and 1 EP of cover tunes (as opposed to 20 albums) go, Hector. ;) :P

Edited by rushgoober

I'm enticed by the remix, but will not purchase it purely on basis of principle. I'll either burn the CD or have a friend DL it for me. I've paid for the album, back in 2002, so I have no ethical objections to obtaining a corrected version, gratis.

It was always clear you would use your bogus legal argument as a justification to steal it. Saying it out loud is just redundant.
  • Like 1

VT and the debut are the only RUSH albums I still don't own, mostly because I was waiting for a possible VT remix / remaster / refried beans so I'll be getting this puppy soon. I can't wait!

VT and the debut are the only RUSH albums I still don't own, mostly because I was waiting for a possible VT remix / remaster / refried beans so I'll be getting this puppy soon. I can't wait!

Get their debut - truly excellent, vastly underrated and 100 times better than the other album you don't have.

Just got my shipping notice from Amazon!

Mine hasn't shipped yet. I thought you were in America.

Yep, I'm in the U.S. and I'm an Amazon Prime member with free 2 day shipping.

Me too x-(

Me too, and I haven't gottten my shipping notice yet either. Waaaaah!

Me too x-(

Me too, and I haven't gottten my shipping notice yet either. Waaaaah!

If it makes ya feel better only 1 of my orders shipped. The one I ordered for a friend hasn't gone out yet.

Mine is coming USPS so there is a (ghost of a) chance it will come tomorrow.. *fingers crossed*

Me too x-(

Me too. Mine shipped yesterday. It says it will arrive on Monday but it's not too far away from me now. I'm hoping it arrives early as many of my amazon orders do.

Me too x-(

Me too. Mine shipped yesterday. It says it will arrive on Monday but it's not too far away from me now. I'm hoping it arrives early as many of my amazon orders do.

I just checked the tracking on mine and it's about 20 miles away!

Oh please come tomorrow!!! :D

• Like 2

I actually do like this album, but this remix is just horrendous IN MY OPINION. It really sounds very empty. Amazingly, although they did fix the clipping issues, this actually sounds worse to me than the origina. It sounds like a recording engineer school project. He added reverb to the vocals in parts which is absurd and makes it sound like this was recorded on a 1980s Fostex 8 track machine.

Meh. I dont need to buy it and I wont so theres not much point complaining about it since I already have the album, but I really was expecting something that sounded more solid. Not like it was taken apart and then put back together with Elmers glue, where the instruments barely sound like they are hanging on to each other. This is like the opposite of what they teach in engineer school.

I actually do like this album, but this remix is just horrendous IN MY OPINION. It really sounds very empty. Amazingly, although they did fix the clipping issues, this actually sounds worse to me than the origina. It sounds like a recording engineer school project. He added reverb to the vocals in parts which is absurd and makes it sound like this was recorded on a 1980s Fostex 8 track machine.

Meh. I dont need to buy it and I wont so theres not much point complaining about it since I already have the album, but I really was expecting something that sounded more solid. Not like it was taken apart and then put back together with Elmers glue, where the instruments barely sound like they are hanging on to each other. This is like the opposite of what they teach in engineer school.

Wow what a surprise, you don't like it. Who Freakin cares whether you like it or not!!!!!!It sounds fantastic but then again what would one expect from a negative ninny like you. :smash:

Get their debut - truly excellent, vastly underrated and 100 times better than the other album you don't have.

Don't listen to the VT Killer, Go and get VT on Monday. The best songs on RUSH can be obtained on Restrospective I, but its stil a must have.