New 30 second clips of Vapor Trail remix

losingit2k

Rush shouldn't be profiting on this remix. We originally paid for a cd that was spectacularly flawed. Why should we be subjected to pay for their mistakes, not once, but twice? Its a real disservice to fans, and incredibly presumptuous for them to expect us to pay for the renovation of their Grade A f*ck up.

Is somebody holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it?

Didn't think so.

You don't want to buy it again? Don't. Pretty simple.

I know I'm newer to the forum and it seems Gemini's opinions are always hated but I mean...I kind of see where he's coming from. On a moral standpoint. If you have some way to prove you own the original Vapor Trails copy, the most it we could deserve is half off or something.

I mean, we're major Rush fans, so a majority of us will buy almost anything they put out just because it's them. But I like Gemini's opinion on the matter.

I see Gemini's point too, but another way of looking at it is, Rush (and many other bands) put out remasters of their older albums all the time. Those of us who have the original versions can choose to stick with that version, or buy the remaster. In some of cases, the originals sound fine and perhaps didn't need a remaster, but bands will issue them anyway to try to get us to "buy it again." Like, my original copy of Counterparts sounds perfectly fine, and I saw no need to get the remaster. I'm not one who needs to collect every single version of every album, but some are into that, and those are the people Rush are marketing these repackaged/remastered albums to.

You have to figure Rush would have issued a remaster of VT at some point, and here we have it -- but it's not only remastered, but remixed as well. Yeah, it was remixed because they botched it up 13 years ago, but we're talking 13 years ago. Do we really deserve a discount on the remix based on us buying the original in 2002? How many of you still have the receipt from wherever you bought it 13 years ago? Think they'll give you a half-price Remixed CD if you submit a photo of yourself holding up the original one?

VT Remixed costs only $9.00 USD on Amazon right now. That's cheaper than a new copy of Clockwork Angels. $9.00 won't even put three gallons of gas in my car, but it'll get me a shiny new remixed version of one of my favorite Rush albums. In the grand scheme of things, nine bucks isn't a lot of money. Depends on how much you like Vapor Trails, and how much you like or don't like the sound of the original. You can choose to use that nine bucks on the remix, or on something else -- like a super-size meal at Burger King, or in some places, a pack of cigarettes.

What an outstanding rebuttal. There is no original VT remaster in addition to this. This is the remaster, with the bonus of a remix at no extra charge. I think this is what any questioner of Rush's integrity regarding VT Remix doesn't consider. And if anyone still has a problem, then they've got problems with every artist that has remastered or will remaster their catalog.

Right, it was a good one. But I was trying to make a point, as well. I bought the remix copy, as well, so I'm not saying I'm siding with Gemini or anything.

The point I was making is everyone on this forum gets so butthurt about an opinion a majority of the people here dislike. Goobs is a great example, you guys always get so crazy and mock him about constantly talking about how bad Vapor Trails is. Yet, you guys are the ones who bring it up every single time and instigate him to come out and defend himself. We all have different opinions, not one is better than yours or vise versa.

Now, I like where Gemini was coming from, I know in the business market it's an awful idea. I just liked it is all. The fact that it is 9 bucks is a steal, granted.

Goobs gets mocked because he continually trolls the VT threads. If he's going to do that he's going to get crap for it in return. But I definitely agree with you that, in many of those threads, people are mentioning him before he even makes a post. It's a vicious cycle -- Goobs gets mentioned because of all the past times he's railed on against VT, and mentioning him in every new thread invites him to continue it.

And just to be clear, what Goobs is doing is not the end of the world, and not a serious problem that we mods are sitting down and discussing -- even though I think he'd like us to. It earns him a new member title once in a while, but that's it. :)

:LOL:

I would have been shocked had the mods sat down and discussed my feelings on VT!

We wouldn't be discussing your opinion of VT. It would be about your continued trolling of VT threads. But it isn't being discussed.

Yet.

And it shouldn't be discussed. Goober is a pretty cool cat. He just hates VT and that ok. I hated COS for a while not as much anymore. Maybe I'm more opened minded or I just actually gave it a chance and now I can listen to 3 tracls on it. Anyway Goober shouldn't be chastized due to his loathing of VT, he should just have his label changed from Good Ruse First to The VT Killer! At least through Halloween! :codger:

Did you go into every COS thread you saw and post trollish comments designed to draw attention to you and disrupt the threads?

Rush shouldn't be profiting on this remix. We originally paid for a cd that was spectacularly flawed. Why should we be subjected to pay for their mistakes, not once, but twice? Its a real disservice to fans, and incredibly presumptuous for them to expect us to pay for the renovation of their Grade A f*ck up.

Didn't think so.

I know I'm newer to the forum and it seems Gemini's opinions are always hated but I mean...I kind of see where he's coming from. On a moral standpoint. If you have some way to prove you own the original Vapor Trails copy, the most it we could deserve is half off or something.

I mean, we're major Rush fans, so a majority of us will buy almost anything they put out just because it's them. But I like Gemini's opinion on the matter.

I see Gemini's point too, but another way of looking at it is, Rush (and many other bands) put out remasters of their older albums all the time. Those of us who have the original versions can choose to stick with that version, or buy the remaster. In some of cases, the originals sound fine and perhaps didn't need a remaster, but bands will issue them anyway to try to get us to "buy it again." Like, my original copy of Counterparts sounds perfectly fine, and I saw no need to get the remaster. I'm not one who needs to collect every single version of every album, but some are into that, and those are the people Rush are marketing these repackaged/remastered albums to.

You have to figure Rush would have issued a remaster of VT at some point, and here we have it -- but it's not only remastered, but remixed as well. Yeah, it was remixed because they botched it up 13 years ago, but we're talking 13 years ago. Do we really deserve a discount on the remix based on us buying the original in 2002? How many of you still have the receipt from wherever you bought it 13 years ago? Think they'll give you a half-price Remixed CD if you submit a photo of yourself holding up the original one?

VT Remixed costs only $9.00 USD on Amazon right now. That's cheaper than a new copy of Clockwork Angels. $9.00 won't even put three gallons of gas in my car, but it'll get me a shiny new remixed version of one of my favorite Rush albums. In the grand scheme of things, nine bucks isn't a lot of money. Depends on how much you like Vapor Trails, and how much you like or don't like the sound of the original. You can choose to use that nine bucks on the remix, or on something else -- like a super-size meal at Burger King, or in some places, a pack of cigarettes.

What an outstanding rebuttal. There is no original VT remaster in addition to this. This is the remaster, with the bonus of a remix at no extra charge. I think this is what any questioner of Rush's integrity regarding VT Remix doesn't consider. And if anyone still has a problem, then they've got problems with every artist that has remastered or will remaster their catalog.

Right, it was a good one. But I was trying to make a point, as well. I bought the remix copy, as well, so I'm not saying I'm siding with Gemini or anything.

The point I was making is everyone on this forum gets so butthurt about an opinion a majority of the people here dislike. Goobs is a great example, you guys always get so crazy and mock him about constantly talking about how bad Vapor Trails is. Yet, you guys are the ones who bring it up every single time and instigate him to come out and defend himself. We all have different opinions, not one is better than yours or vise versa.

Now, I like where Gemini was coming from, I know in the business market it's an awful idea. I just liked it is all. The fact that it is 9 bucks is a steal, granted.

Goobs gets mocked because he continually trolls the VT threads. If he's going to do that he's going to get crap for it in return. But I definitely agree with you that, in many of those threads, people are mentioning him before he even makes a post. It's a vicious cycle -- Goobs gets mentioned because of all the past times he's railed on against VT, and mentioning him in every new thread invites him to continue it.

And just to be clear, what Goobs is doing is not the end of the world, and not a serious problem that we mods are sitting down and discussing -- even though I think he'd like us to. It earns him a new member title once in a while, but that's it. :)

I would have been shocked had the mods sat down and discussed my feelings on VT!

We wouldn't be discussing your opinion of VT. It would be about your continued trolling of VT threads. But it isn't being discussed.

Yet.

And it shouldn't be discussed. Goober is a pretty cool cat. He just hates VT and that ok. I hated COS for a while not as much anymore. Maybe I'm more opened minded or I just actually gave it a chance and now I can listen to 3 tracls on it. Anyway Goober shouldn't be chastized due to his loathing of VT, he should just have his label changed from Good Ruse First to The VT Killer! At least through Halloween! :codger:

Did you go into every COS thread you saw and post trollish comments designed to draw attention to you and disrupt the threads?

Thats not my style, I'd just wouldn't include any songs from it in a Setlist! :laughing guy:

Didn't think so.

Yet.

Thats not my style, I'd just wouldn't include any songs from it in a Setlist! :laughing guy:

No it isn't your style, but it IS Goob's style, and that's my point....and I think you knew that.

Yeah, he's always been on a VT rampage. But we know that. We expect it. It wouldn't be the same without it. It doesn't make him a Troll though. He just hates the Album and thats fine. He always mentions the good with the Bad. Thats not trolling to me, thats sticking to your guns! Goober would be the first one here praising RUSH if it were on a Hold Your Fire Thread. Unfortunately, those are few and far between due to its great writing, mixing and Sound. Now that Goober can't seem to grasp that VT has good songs on it is a bit surprising. I just think he focuses primarily on the lyrics and not the actual playing or composition and let's face it,the words are pretty depressing. Anyway, Goober is a cool dude. He's just the

VT Killer!

• Like 1

The simple fact of the matter is that Rush have admitted it was a botched job, a faulty release. They should do a recall and give CD owners a big discount.

That said you can pick up the album for £6 if you are so disposed.

The reason Rush have waited so long is clear, it can only be for legal reasons. To admit it's a faulty product soon after the release could have proved costly...

If this was any other band except Rush, people here would be arguing in a different manner.

I actually think the main reason was the new Atlantic remasters. To have shiny remasters in the new box set with an old crusty VT would be a major faux pas. Thus, the perfect impetus to get that VT remix project off the back burner.

Legal reasons? Who in their right mind would sue Rush over VT?

:unsure:

Tony's right -- we Rush fans are a forgiving bunch (at least, I think that's what he was saying there). If you go back and recall conversations on Rush communities since 2002, I don't think many fans were threatening lawsuits to get VT redone -- they simply complained about the sound quality and said, "I hope they remaster it soon," and started hundreds of threads on multiple message boards debating on whether VT needed a remaster, a remix or even a re-recording of the original tracks. It's an album that didn't sound good, but it's a very important album in the band's history and most fans didn't take it beyond simply complaining about it.

Now it's 13 years after the fact. We can now get the remix for nine bucks or five pounds or whatever, and it's easier to spend that small amount of money than it would be to organize an official campaign to initiate a recall/exchange program that probably wouldn't produce any results -- and really, would that kind of effort be necessary? We're not talking about a defective child car seat. It's just a music CD.

Yes we are forgiving. Well, except for a couple of loudmouths anyway :LOL: I wasn't sure if Tony was kidding or not. I kind of hope he was. Any organized effort whatsoever to demand something from RUSH for the remixed VT would be bad form. We aren't the best fans in Rock for nothing. This is what Geddy said in Rolling Stone:

Neil had to learn how to play the drums again, how to get his confidence back. It was a lot of slow baby steps to getting back to us at our peak. The writing process took a really long time. Alex and I would work all day in the control room and Neil would practice and write lyrics. We kind of blocked out a small studio in Toronto and we were there for 14 months making this record. It was a long and emotional and stressful time to the end, because we were close to the finish but we had spent so much time on it. We were way too close to it.

Had we been wise, we would have said, "Okay, we're taking a two-month break and then bring someone in to mix it when we all have fresh ears." We figured, "The show must go on! People are expecting the record now." The record company had been waiting and waiting for it. So we just pushed through and got it mixed. We went through two different people to mix it because we were so unhappy with it. We just believed in the record, but in the end we were just fried.

Everybody went their own way. I took the record to New York to master it. By the time I had a couple of weeks off to hear it clearly, I realized we had kind of over-cooked the record. The mixes were really loud and brash. The mastering job was harsh and distorted, but by then, it was out of my hands. It was already out.

It's a terrible feeling that, due to lack of objectivity, you let an imperfect piece of work get out there. But the songs are very strong and people really responded to the record and people were welcoming us back. The sonic defects of it got lost in the excitement of the bands return to functionality. It's always been a bee in my bonnet. We had various people attempt to remix it and remaster it over the years, and it still didn't satisfy.

After a while, it was hard to get people onboard. "Why are you obsessing over this one record? You have 20 records. Why the f**k do you care about this one record?" I just felt it was so pivotal that the songs required some justice. We gave it one last kick of the can, and Andy from our management suggested that David Bottrill have a go at it. I thought it was kind of strange/full circle that the guy we almost used in the first place is trying to save it. We were on tour and Neil didn't want to have too much to do with it. The album has a lot of very painful memories for him. We said, "Don't worry. We're going to let David just follow his instincts and he'll do it while we're touring."

David just got the record right away and started sending us mixes. Of course, we'd have comments here or there, but generally he understood what it should sound like. So, I'm very pleased with the end result. I think he's finally brought some completion and some justice to some of those songs we'd put so much of our heart and soul into.

Sorry for the long quote. I forgive them for sure. I'm actually on my second VT. The first one was stolen. I think I bought about 4 or 5 vinyl Moving Pictures LP's. I didn't ask for a free one because they used cheap vinyl.

I would guess everyone who is purchasing it is doing so of their own Free Will. :LOL: Those who don't, also, Free Will :D Or, people can rip it off as they've been doing for forever now. I will certainly gift a couple copies to friends who wouldn't have otherwise bought it.

I, and so many of my fellow Rush compatriots, are certainly glad it got some tender love and remix and are looking forward to doing a comparo and cranking it. :yay:

• Like 1

Yeah, he's always been on a VT rampage. But we know that. We expect it. It wouldn't be the same without it. It doesn't make him a Troll though. He just hates the Album and thats fine. He always mentions the good with the Bad.

I hate to harp, but if you're referring to VT, he doesn't mention the good.. any good. No good. All bad. Okay? I think that's been the point.

Sorry to interrupt again. Back to the 30 sec clip discussion. :)

Yeah, he's always been on a VT rampage. But we know that. We expect it. It wouldn't be the same without it. It doesn't make him a Troll though. He just hates the Album and thats fine. He always mentions the good with the Bad.

I hate to harp, but if you're referring to VT, he doesn't mention the good.. any good. No good. All bad. Okay? I think that's been the point.

I meant he mentions what he likes about RUSH (the Good) when he's bashing VT (the Bad). He does mention that RUSH has 15 good albums to offset the 5 mediocre ones. Thats a good statement in my book and basically what I meant.

Back to the 30 sec clip discussion. :)

One minor frustration with those Best Buy clips is that some of them showcase 30 seconds of the quieter parts of songs -- I want to hear the loud parts to see if the heaviness is still there (Earthshine sounded pretty good). The comments from a couple of people here who have the remix CD seem encouraging, though.

The reason Rush have waited so long is clear, it can only be for legal reasons. To admit it's a faulty product soon after the release could have proved costly..

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac. And no, it wouldn't matter if they changed the Big Mac later to make it better. Edited by Slack jaw gaze

The reason Rush have waited so long is clear, it can only be for legal reasons. To admit it's a faulty product soon after the release could have proved costly..

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac.

You wouldn't sue McD's simply because you didn't like the taste of the burger, but what if that burger was improperly prepared?

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac. And no, it wouldn't matter if they changed the Big Mac later to make it better.

I'm sorry but take off your Rush thong and stop being wrong. The band have admitted the product was defective, broken almost. If a product is defective it should be replaced FOC.

This isn't difficult to comprehend is it?

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac.

You wouldn't sue McD's simply because you didn't like the taste of the burger, but what if that burger was improperly prepared?

There were no manufacturing flaws as existed with one of the box sets recently (and were replaced quickly). You don't have any ground suing an artist over artistic decisions. Flaws in sound are purely subjective. Plenty of people like the way it sounded originally.

I meant he mentions what he likes about RUSH (the Good) when he's bashing VT (the Bad). He does mention that RUSH has 15 good albums to offset the 5 mediocre ones. Thats a good statement in my book and basically what I meant.

What does it matter? Even if he only liked one album he's entitled to give his opinion on why he dislikes the others. What are you frightened of?

Suing a band because you don't like the sound of a record would be as successful as suing McDonald's because you don't like the taste of a Big Mac. And no, it wouldn't matter if they changed the Big Mac later to make it better.

I'm sorry but take off your Rush thong and stop being wrong. The band have admitted the product was defective, broken almost. If a product is defective it should be replaced FOC.

Stick to pretending you know something about music. You know zip about law. Edited by Slack jaw gaze

There were no manufacturing flaws as existed with one of the box sets recently (and were replaced quickly). You don't have any ground suing an artist over artistic decisions. Flaws in sound are purely subjective. Plenty of people like the way it sounded originally.

The flaws might have been subjective but now the creators have confirmed the flaws then that's end of discussion.

All that has been proved is that the people who said they like the way VT sounds should read The Emperor's New Clothes.

Stick to pretending you know something about music. You know zip about law.

And clearly you know cannot see past your blind and needy loyalty to the band.

Mixing and mastering the album way too hot was not an artistic decision. It was an error in workmanship on the last two steps of the process, which was clearly stated by Geddy himself.

That said, unlike the very recent deal with one of the (I believe) Sector box sets, VT is 13 years removed from its original release and we aren't getting an exchange program at this point. And also unlike the box set, the problem with VT wasn't a manufacturing defect, it was a production error -- the VT CD played fine, it just sounded like crap. A manufacturing defect that prevents the product from working properly HAS to be replaced. A bad mix and mastering job on the music itself? Hmmm...

So, we either buy the remix or stick with the original. Not exactly a life-changing decision. I'm choosing to spend the nine bucks because...it's only nine bucks.

Mixing and mastering the album way too hot was not an artistic decision. It was an error in workmanship on the last two steps of the process, which was clearly stated by Geddy himself.

That said, unlike the very recent deal with one of the (I believe) Sector box sets, VT is 13 years removed from its original release and we aren't getting an exchange program at this point. So, we either buy the remix or stick with the original. Not exactly a life-changing decision. I'm choosing to spend the nine bucks because...it's only nine bucks.

Hey, nine bucks is nine bucks, eh?

If thats the case, i want to press charges against a slew of post punk bands from the early 80s.. :LOL: ..VT sounds like Dark Side compared to my Husker Du and Black Flag albums.

Edited by Xanadoood

I'm sure there is an amateur cooking board where someone would claim that not having 2 parts mayo to one part ketchup is an error in workmanship too and that a lawsuit against someone who sold a burger with a different ratio would have merit. Such is the internet. 'Tis a silly place.

If there is an industry name for a common practice (i.e. loudness wars) it's pretty hard to argue that it's not an artistic decision.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze

I'm sure there is an amateur cooking board where someone would claim that not having 2 parts mayo to one part ketchup is an error in workmanship too and that a lawsuit against someone who sold a burger with a different ratio would have merit. Such is the internet. 'Tis a silly place.

Come on Slacky, lighten up.