Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll - Will you retire your 2002 messy mix copy, once you have the shiny new WHITE remix

treeduck

Vapor Trails Remix: The Poll  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Once you have the new VT remix will you retire your old 2002 copy?

• YES, I can't wait to file it away under WITHDRAWN FROM RuSh SERVICE
    • No, I have a feeling this new mix will sound less energized, weaker, empty somehow
    • I think I'll be playing both, sometimes back to back!
    • I may put them together in a 2 CD jewel case and create a VT double album
    • I'm not buying the new remix, I like the old one as it is
    • I hate the album regardless of mixing or mastering, the songs f***ing suck! Yes I am rushgoober, of course!
    • I hate the album, I agree that it is a piece of shit, but I'm not rushgoober...
    • I have a feeling I'll start off loving the new mix but eventually revert back to the 2002 edition
    • I'm going to perform numerous sound tests to determine the best version
    • I'll buy it, I don't really care about the mix, I just want to add it to my RUSH collection
    • I may not buy it, I haven't thought much about it yet
    • My name is METALDAD, it's a cash-in job, selling the same album and hoping for the same sales figures just because they f*cked up the mix
    • My name is EARL "Master of Japan" RUSHHEAD, I currently have 79 different editions of the new VT on order!
    • My name is Steevo, I need this album, it makes me hard!
    • My name is Hatchet Pete, this is another opportunity to use my vinyl-hole sized knob!
    • My name is Rick N Backer, I love Poison, they sound like Van Halen!
    • My name is Tick, I want to try and exploit this release event to my own advantage!
    • My name is Babycat, I just want to lap milk from a bowl in front of naked men!
    • My name is coldfire I once challenged Neil Peart to a masturbation marathon, and I came out on top, literally!
    • My name is Johnny Blaze, I just want to slap something on the stereo when I'm banging the Blaze harem girls!
    • My name is Neil Peart, this album is going to fund my new career as a male lap dancer!
    • Alex Laughfson here, this album will keep me in cakes for exactly 3 months
    • Jeddie Lee here, this album will pay for that nose job I've been putting off for decades
    • Tony R here, I'm fat, I'm f*cked and I'm 50, come and get me girls!!!
    • Principled Man here, this year the mighty SAINTS are gonna be brilliant and dominate the NFL!
    • Lost in Xanadu here, this year the Packers are gonna suck dead donkey dong
    • hello I'm Laughedatbytime, the Dolphins new uniform makes me fcuking blind and sick at the same time!
    • The OWL checking in, I've bought the remixed Vapor Trails ten million times in my dreams! I'm just scared that reality will be a bit of a letdown
    • H. P. L. here, I remixed the album myself in 1979, yes more than a decade before it was even released! Ghost Rider is called Happy Days are Here Again on my copy!
    • I am HOBO I like gluing plastic bottles to my crotch and humping ladies in the park!
    • Lerxt1990 here, what remix? What the devil is going on? I'm busy collecting new life from Mars on my bacon sandwich via my back yard porch swing...
    • Eddie Van Halen here, a couple of my albums are brick-walled to death too
    • Cosey Toses here, what? ME buy another copy of Vapid Trolls? I'd rather have my bollocks stapled to an angry baboon's arse!
    • Pags here, look I'm a FIREMAN, I can deal with it, I can deal with a bad mix, I can deal with muddy production values. A bad mix it's like smoke in a burning building ok? And I can see right through it to the love in the people inside!
    • Sunny Sunny Sun girl here, I'll be Geddy's pin-up girl any time he wants it! Neil is creepy now though so he'll have to just deal with that, Alex is my second choice!

I'll wait to see what everyone thinks. I have the HD tracks. Of course you have to dumb it down to lesser quality to actually play it on anything. Even at that its better. Not worth the 20 bucks for me. My guess this one won't be better enough to warrant another 20 but if you dorks convince me it is, I may get it.

The only Apple product you need to dumb it down for is the iPod classic, and even that is better than CD quality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought converting the flacs to anything really, downgraded the quality. I know they can be converted to AIFF and therefore not "downgraded" but you can only listen on IPODs. By definition anything played on an IPOD is downgraded sound quality I think. You can't burn AIFF or flacs to cds so can't listen to the HD tracks really on anything other than the IPOD. Seems to me that kind of defeats the purpose of the HD track. But i have them. Yeah for me.

I didn't know that converting FLACs to AIFFs necessarily meant a downgrade. I always thought it was just a format thing, as this seems to indicate: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-is-better-aiff-or-flac.178757/

And iPods can play the lossless version, just not iPod Classic, which does play a slightly dumbed down version.

I can't wait to able to place Vapor Trails songs into my Playlist and actually be able to listen to them. Maybe all those other songs I didn't care before will start to grow on me. I'm pretty hopeful towards the remix.

:dweez: :chickendance: :dweez:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought converting the flacs to anything really, downgraded the quality. I know they can be converted to AIFF and therefore not "downgraded" but you can only listen on IPODs. By definition anything played on an IPOD is downgraded sound quality I think. You can't burn AIFF or flacs to cds so can't listen to the HD tracks really on anything other than the IPOD. Seems to me that kind of defeats the purpose of the HD track. But i have them. Yeah for me.

AIFF is a lossless format, so converting a FLAC file to AIFF doesn't lose anything (unless you resample it to a different bitrate). CD quality audio is 44.1 kHz bitrate with a sample size of 16 bits, but the HDTracks Rush albums were available in 96 kHz 24 bit format, so at a higher quality than CD audio. I have my stereo amplifier connected directly to my computer hard drive, so that I can play 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files directly with no conversion.

I didn't know that converting FLACs to AIFFs necessarily meant a downgrade. I always thought it was just a format thing, as this seems to indicate: http://forums.steveh...or-flac.178757/

And iPods can play the lossless version, just not iPod Classic, which does play a slightly dumbed down version.

Apple has it's own lossless format too- Apple Lossless. I can convert my 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files directly to Apple lossless for playing on iTunes, but they won't play on my iPod classic. I have to downgrade them to 44.1kHz/16 bit to do that. I'm not sure whether newer iPods will play 96 kHz/24 bit files.

AIFF is a lossless format, so converting a FLAC file to AIFF doesn't lose anything (unless you resample it to a different bitrate). CD quality audio is 44.1 kHz bitrate with a sample size of 16 bits, but the HDTracks Rush albums were available in 96 kHz 24 bit format, so at a higher quality than CD audio. I have my stereo amplifier connected directly to my computer hard drive, so that I can play 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files directly with no conversion.

I didn't know that converting FLACs to AIFFs necessarily meant a downgrade. I always thought it was just a format thing, as this seems to indicate: http://forums.steveh...or-flac.178757/

Apple has it's own lossless format too- Apple Lossless. I can convert my 96 kHz/24 bit FLAC files directly to Apple lossless for playing on iTunes, but they won't play on my iPod classic. I have to downgrade them to 44.1kHz/16 bit to do that. I'm not sure whether newer iPods will play 96 kHz/24 bit files.

That's my understanding as well. Your setup allows you to realize the HD tracks. Actually playing the flacs through a quality stereo system. I lack that capacity, so its IPOD listening. If I burn to a cd it has to be compressed (dumbed down). So the quality is lost. I can convert to AIFF which is not degraded from the flac, but how good of sound can you really get out of an IPOD and headphones despite the format?

All other apple devices will play the 96/24 files.

This is actually happening? AWWW HELL YEAH. I'll just shelf the original VT and wait until I have to annoy someone with brickwalling to bring it out again. :P

I'll skip buying the remix. I like the original. Sometimes a little stubble is better than a clean shave.

All other apple devices will play the 96/24 files.

My iPhone 5 won't go higher than 48/24

I'll skip buying the remix. I like the original. Sometimes a little stubble is better than a clean shave.

Really, the album has nowhere to go but up. I can't imagine personally, however, spending one dime to hear this album again. I only keep the version I have because I'm a Rush studio album completist.

I'll wait to see what everyone thinks. I have the HD tracks. Of course you have to dumb it down to lesser quality to actually play it on anything. Even at that its better. Not worth the 20 bucks for me. My guess this one won't be better enough to warrant another 20 but if you dorks convince me it is, I may get it.

The only Apple product you need to dumb it down for is the iPod classic, and even that is better than CD quality.

While all iDevices (except the iPod classic) can play uncompressed files (AIFF, WAV or AAC Uncompressed), where you're going to lose anything is in the conversion from 96k/24-bit to 44.1k/16-bit, as the iPod is not capable of anything higher than that. To really enjoy anything from HDTracks you'll need to rely on your home sound system (or computer if you have good hardware). While my hardware isn't top notch, I set iTunes up to playback at 96k/24-bit and convert my FLAC files to WAV so it'll play them back, and it works great.

I still love my iPod Video's sound quality vs. any other iDevice I've owned, and it lives permanently in my car attached to my stereo. I think Apple started going with cheaper DACs at some point, as I noticed the sound from the iPod Touch and the iPhone (different versions too) was a bit flat. I'd give my left nut to be able to listen to albums from HDTracks in my car at full resolution without the need to dumb them down. I may never leave my car :)

I'd give my left nut to be able to listen to albums from HDTracks in my car at full resolution without the need to dumb them down. I may never leave my car :)

That's what I want as well. Do most of my listening in the car.

I play my 96/24 files straight from my computer hard drive through my stereo. If I convert them to 44.1/16 and play them through the stereo from the iPod, I can notice a definite downgrade in sound quality, more due to the general crappiness of my iPod I think than the downgraded sample/bitrate.

@Peartlee- I think you'd need quite a good car audio system to support 96/24 files. I can play MP3s or WAV files through the USB connector on my car stereo, but 24 bit files are not supported. :(

...I set iTunes up to playback at 96k/24-bit and convert my FLAC files to WAV so it'll play them back, and it works great.

How do you do that?

While all iDevices (except the iPod classic) can play uncompressed files (AIFF, WAV or AAC Uncompressed), where you're going to lose anything is in the conversion from 96k/24-bit to 44.1k/16-bit, as the iPod is not capable of anything higher than that. To really enjoy anything from HDTracks you'll need to rely on your home sound system (or computer if you have good hardware). While my hardware isn't top notch, I set iTunes up to playback at 96k/24-bit and convert my FLAC files to WAV so it'll play them back, and it works great.

I still love my iPod Video's sound quality vs. any other iDevice I've owned, and it lives permanently in my car attached to my stereo. I think Apple started going with cheaper DACs at some point, as I noticed the sound from the iPod Touch and the iPhone (different versions too) was a bit flat. I'd give my left nut to be able to listen to albums from HDTracks in my car at full resolution without the need to dumb them down. I may never leave my car :)

Wow. I'm so glad I listen to CD's and don't have to worry about all this nonsense. :unsure:

Wow. I'm so glad I listen to CD's and don't have to worry about all this nonsense. :unsure:

Don't forget to vote Goobs... ;)

Well, I buy CDs for the artwork and so I can rip them losslessly to iTunes. It's quite simple.

Well, I buy CDs for the artwork and so I can rip them losslessly to iTunes. It's quite simple.

Take quality CD's, compress the wav files and listen to them on earbuds or crappy computer speakers. Simple.

• Like 2

Take quality CD's, convert them losslessly and listen to them on high quality headphones or speakers. Simple.

Fixed

Take quality CD's, compress the wav files and listen to them on earbuds or crappy computer speakers. Simple.

Fixed back.

There is no comparison to listening to a CD on high quality audiophile equipment. Compress the file all you want, call it lossless and pretend it's the same thing. It's fine, most everyone does it. It's a world of convenience over quality.

• Like 1

I've discovered that "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is a good "test album" for sound quality. My vinyl still trumps the CD version which is missing some music in some of the songs.