Neil Peart Hints at a Remastering of Vapor Trails

Jag2112

I thought they were gonna remix the album, not just remaster it. Hopefully Neil is just being loose with his wording and they remix the songs like they did on Retrospective 3.
  • Like 1

:facepalm:

Great news maybe I'll be able to enjoy listening to songs like: One Little Victory, Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider, Vapor Trail, Secret Touch, Earth Shine an Sweet Mircale without cringing due to the dismal mixing and masteing on that album.

I thought they were gonna remix the album, not just remaster it. Hopefully Neil is just being loose with his wording and they remix the songs like they did on Retrospective 3.

The article says remixing:

"The band had recently been overseeing a remixed version of our Vapor Trails album, from 2002, as we had never been happy with how it turned out. I found that trying to listen to those songs again was too upsetting, taking me back to a mindset and emotional state that hadn’t been good to live through then, or to relive now. I had to “recuse” myself from those judgments, and the Guys at Work understood, of course."

They might just be at the
Mastering
portion of the project.

• Like 1

"The band had recently been overseeing a remixed version of our Vapor Trails album, from 2002, as we had never been happy with how it turned out. I found that trying to listen to those songs again was too upsetting, taking me back to a mindset and emotional state that hadn’t been good to live through then, or to relive now. I had to “recuse” myself from those judgments, and the Guys at Work understood, of course."

Mastering
portion of the project.

Awesome. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

Mastering
portion of the project.

One thing for sure if this turns out ok, we might be hearing some VT songs live next time out. Hopefully, Vapor Trail and Sweet Miracle since they never played those live.

:codger:

• Like 1

Mastering
portion of the project.

One thing for sure if this turns out ok, we might be hearing some VT songs live next time out. Hopefully, Vapor Trail and Sweet Miracle since they never played those live.

I would love to see that happen (add How it Is to the list for me), but if these songs are still too painful for Neil, he may not be excited to rehearse and replay them dozens and dozens of times.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

Mastering
portion of the project.

I would love to see that happen (add How it Is to the list for me), but if these songs are still too painful for Neil, he may not be exited to rehearse and replay them dozens and dozens of times.

I agree, I was thinking of that myself.

I would love to see that happen (add How it Is to the list for me), but if these songs are still too painful for Neil, he may not be excited to rehearse and replay them dozens and dozens of times.

[spoiler ALERT although there are only 3 shows left]

This probably explains why there aren't any Vapor Trails songs in the current setlist.

So, for those of you who haven't been paying attention, THIS is what Neil is talking about (available since May 14):

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/05/14/3634/Rush-iTunes-only-digital-album-collections-now-available

.....also discussed in great detail on tihs very message board here:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/82836-itunes-remastered-collections

This is nothing new, guys. And yes, the VT remaster from this iTunes collection sounds MUCH better than before.

So, for those of you who haven't been paying attention, THIS is what Neil is talking about (available since May 14):

http://www.rushisaband.com/blog/2013/05/14/3634/Rush-iTunes-only-digital-album-collections-now-available

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/82836-itunes-remastered-collections

This is nothing new, guys. And yes, the VT remaster from this iTunes collection sounds MUCH better than before.

That's a remaster, not a remix.

I got the HD Tracks version and yeah its better overall. No clipping. I can hear more nuance and some distinction in guitars and bass. I think it makes Ged's voice sound tinny though. Not worth the 20 bucks for me. Any re-do of VT by the band would have to be a significant improvment over the HD Tracks or wouldn't be worth it. I suspect they would have to remove at least 9 of Alex's layers on every song to thin it out enough to make a difference.