Shorter more focused albums

losingit2k

I think the longer album lengths led to more great Rush songs being released.
This statement is complete off. The Only Album that can be compared to their late 70's and early 80's endeavor has been Clockwork Angels and that was a shorter album. No Other album can even come close. Yes Every album in that era had good and even some great tracks on them but the entire album would not remain consistent throughout. Even Counterpart, their strongest effort in that era still held tracks like Speed of Love and Everyday Glory which IMO I could just do without. :codger:

But that assumes they'd leave off the songs you didn't think were great. Geddy would have left off Tai Shan, perhaps my favorite off what I consider one of their weakest albums. Many here would leave off Dog Years, Ghost Rider, Heresy, Bravado, or RTB, but I love those songs.

I agree with you there, LedRush. It assumes that the tracks we don't like are left off. If this had have been Rush's focus in the recoding process of CA, who's to say that we would have Headlong Flight, or The Garden? Just because someone doesn't like the song is not a reason to have a shortened "more focused" album. To illustrate my point, I'll let you guys go to war over my list of songs by album.

RUSH:

Finding My Way

Here Again

What You're Doing

In The Mood

Before & After

Working Man

FLY BY NIGHT:

Anthem

Beneath, Between & Behind

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Fly By Night

In The End

CARESS OF STEEL:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain of Lambeth

2112:

A Passage To Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Tears

Something For Nothing

FAREWELL TO KINGS:

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

HEMISPHERES:

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Trees

La Villa Strangiato

PERMANENT WAVES:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

MOVING PICTURES;

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

SIGNALS:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Enemy Wothkn

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

POWER WINDOWS:

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

HOLD YOUR FIRE:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Presto

ROLL THE BONES:

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

COUNTERPARTS:

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Leave That Thing Alone

TEST FOR ECHO:

Test For Echo

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOUR TRAILS:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapour Trails

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Freeze

SNAKES AND ARROWS:

Far Cry

Armour And Sword

Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Main Monkey Business

Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

CLOCKWORK ANGELS:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities

Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Garden

. Afterimage, Digital Man, oh the horror! Those are some of my favorite songs off those prospective albums! Not including all of counterparts! Which to me. Has no bad songs (a weak one). Edited by Pars123

If Rush had followed the philosophy of "less is more" we might not have received the entirety of Clockwork Angels. With the exception of BU2B2 (which isn't a song anyway) I enjoy every track of the recording. I'd rather just skip over a couple of lesser songs than risk losing a gem.

I'd rather them know what songs were gems and what weren't and just leave off the bad ones, but oh well.

Then of course people will say, yes, but so many of the tracks I think are bad ones they love so they shouldn't leave any off yadda, yadda, yadda.

All I know is that from 1974-1987, outside of a TINY amount of tracks that didn't work, they were virtually flawless. And then they weren't anymore. Sure, there are people who don't like some prime period Rush, but hearing, for example, someone really putting down their 1976-1982 material is pretty infrequent, and 1978-1981 - pretty rare indeed. Rush really were making top notch material for a long time. Either they lost it occasionally after that, or they lost their sound judgment of what should and shouldn't be released. Regardless, they've put out tons of great music, and even in their latter more flawed years they've had some gems (CP, S&A, CA) so I'm not complaining.

As someone who has made some songs with other musicians it's a little harder to be objective pro or con when it's your own material. I can tell you that Rush's most difficult period was difficult as well for amateurs like me trying to identify the direction to take with music.

Edited by calirush

This statement is complete off. The Only Album that can be compared to their late 70's and early 80's endeavor has been Clockwork Angels and that was a shorter album. No Other album can even come close. Yes Every album in that era had good and even some great tracks on them but the entire album would not remain consistent throughout. Even Counterpart, their strongest effort in that era still held tracks like Speed of Love and Everyday Glory which IMO I could just do without. :codger:

But that assumes they'd leave off the songs you didn't think were great. Geddy would have left off Tai Shan, perhaps my favorite off what I consider one of their weakest albums. Many here would leave off Dog Years, Ghost Rider, Heresy, Bravado, or RTB, but I love those songs.

I agree with you there, LedRush. It assumes that the tracks we don't like are left off. If this had have been Rush's focus in the recoding process of CA, who's to say that we would have Headlong Flight, or The Garden? Just because someone doesn't like the song is not a reason to have a shortened "more focused" album. To illustrate my point, I'll let you guys go to war over my list of songs by album.

RUSH:

Finding My Way

Here Again

What You're Doing

In The Mood

Before & After

Working Man

FLY BY NIGHT:

Anthem

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Fly By Night

In The End

CARESS OF STEEL:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain of Lambeth

2112:

A Passage To Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Tears

Something For Nothing

FAREWELL TO KINGS:

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

HEMISPHERES:

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Trees

La Villa Strangiato

PERMANENT WAVES:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

MOVING PICTURES;

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

SIGNALS:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Enemy Wothkn

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

POWER WINDOWS:

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

HOLD YOUR FIRE:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Presto

ROLL THE BONES:

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

COUNTERPARTS:

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Leave That Thing Alone

TEST FOR ECHO:

Test For Echo

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOUR TRAILS:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapour Trails

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Freeze

SNAKES AND ARROWS:

Far Cry

Armour And Sword

Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Main Monkey Business

Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

CLOCKWORK ANGELS:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities

Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Garden

. Afterimage, Digital Man, oh the horror! Those are some of my favorite songs off those prospective albums! Not including all of counterparts! Which to me. Has no bad songs (a weak one).

My point, mein froind. If these were found in some unreleased box set, you would be steaming!

• Like 1

My point exactly, if that was what Rush had finished up with, and then you found Entre Nous, you would have a fit. What would you leave in that I took out on GUP, HYF and CP, LosingIt?

GUP: Afterimage, Kid Gloves

HYF: Open Secrets

CP: Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Cold Fire

I've heard this philosophy many times. The band should never have left off certain songs because what if they left off the songs I liked and for every song I don't like there's SOMEONE who likes it, so they should all stay on and we can pick and choose what works for us and the rest is for someone else and isn't it wonderful we're all one happy family of Rush fans.

The only problem there is that gives them permission to make songs like Dog Years and Virtuality and Face Up and Bravest Face and it's all ok because hell it's got value to someone somewhere. The Spice Girls has value to someone somewhere too, but it doesn't make it great music.

Obviously subjective opinion will always exist, but I think what the thrust of this thread is, and that what most people will agree with to some extent, is that there was a period where Rush were making really classic nearly flawless albums for a long time. Then there was a period where the quality was a lot more inconsistent. I think what everyone wants is more consistently great material. Of course each person's definition of what is quality and what is consistent will vary, but it is what most people seem to want.

You are correct sir and Clockwork Angels is a return to that consitancy. IMO, I like to listen to the albums from Beginning to end without having to skip tracks. Since Presto that wasn't the case with RUSH. I still loved most ofd the album but there was always that one or those few tracks I just couldn't swallow and the only reason I can place on this is the amount of recording time availble on CDs opposed to the 40-45 minutes availble on Vinyl. Clockwork Angels did not use the entire 75 minutes availble on the CD and the quality of the Writing reflects that of years prior to Presto and beyond. Could it be that they are on a writing high now? Yes it could, but Snake and Arrows was also well written, yet about two to three songs to long. Again :finbar:

Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

But the question is: would you have loved them even more if you would have discovered them As unreleased tracks on a compilation or Box Set? :huh:

This question assumes that all the same songs would have been completed and would have existed to go into such a compilation or boxed set, and that is a ridiculous assumption given that the band has stated many times that they don't save early versions of songs that they don't complete for album release.

I understand what you are saying and I am very aware that RUSH doesn't keep anything on ice. I'm just asking if they should?

But the question is: would you have loved them even more if you would have discovered them As unreleased tracks on a compilation or Box Set? :huh:

This question assumes that all the same songs would have been completed and would have existed to go into such a compilation or boxed set, and that is a ridiculous assumption given that the band has stated many times that they don't save early versions of songs that they don't complete for album release.

Which is why we are yet to see Garden Road or Fancy Dancer from the Rush recording sessions surface

I hope they do surface somewhere down the road. I'm glad I have versions of them live though.

:rush: :haz: :rush:

RUSH:

Finding My Way

Here Again

What You're Doing

In The Mood

Before & After

Working Man

FLY BY NIGHT:

Anthem

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Fly By Night

In The End

CARESS OF STEEL:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain of Lambeth

2112:

A Passage To Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Tears

Something For Nothing

FAREWELL TO KINGS:

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

HEMISPHERES:

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Trees

La Villa Strangiato

PERMANENT WAVES:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

MOVING PICTURES;

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

SIGNALS:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Enemy Wothkn

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

POWER WINDOWS:

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

HOLD YOUR FIRE:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Presto

ROLL THE BONES:

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

COUNTERPARTS:

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Leave That Thing Alone

TEST FOR ECHO:

Test For Echo

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOUR TRAILS:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapour Trails

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Freeze

SNAKES AND ARROWS:

Far Cry

Armour And Sword

Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Main Monkey Business

Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

CLOCKWORK ANGELS:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities

Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Garden

. Afterimage, Digital Man, oh the horror! Those are some of my favorite songs off those prospective albums! Not including all of counterparts! Which to me. Has no bad songs (a weak one).

I agree with you on Afterimage and Digital Man, but to me Speed of Love is a pretty weak song. :finbar:

RUSH:

Finding My Way

Here Again

What You're Doing

In The Mood

Before & After

Working Man

FLY BY NIGHT:

Anthem

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Fly By Night

In The End

CARESS OF STEEL:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain of Lambeth

2112:

A Passage To Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Tears

Something For Nothing

FAREWELL TO KINGS:

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

HEMISPHERES:

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Trees

La Villa Strangiato

PERMANENT WAVES:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

MOVING PICTURES;

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

SIGNALS:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Enemy Wothkn

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

POWER WINDOWS:

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

HOLD YOUR FIRE:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Presto

ROLL THE BONES:

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

COUNTERPARTS:

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Leave That Thing Alone

TEST FOR ECHO:

Test For Echo

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOUR TRAILS:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapour Trails

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Freeze

SNAKES AND ARROWS:

Far Cry

Armour And Sword

Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Main Monkey Business

Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

CLOCKWORK ANGELS:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities

Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Garden

My point, mein froind. If these were found in some unreleased box set, you would be steaming!

No, I would be pretty damn happy they were finally being released, along with Garden Road, Fancy Dancer and those unreleased tracks that were left off of 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. (This is a test, only a Test). :scared:

Edited by losingit2k

No, I completely disagree. I think the longer album lengths led to more great Rush songs being released.

Yup, that's what I was suggesting a few pages back

Perhaps, but I think the fact that for whatever reasons the guys think they need to come up with upwards of 70 minutes of music makes making a new album all the more daunting, and henceforth we have a LOT less albums. I'm not saying if they were making 40 minute classics still that they'd really make them more often for reasons that have already been abundantly stated, but it is worth considering that longer albums does not necessarily mean more Rush music.

This was my point about shorter albums. Prior to Presto they had to develop their ideas into a more limited amount of space and would add a different idea for the Break or go off somewhere completely different during the song The Spirit of Radio is a classic representation of this idea. They combined the heavy riff with the Reggae part at the end to make one song. Laterly they would have just done two different songs out of both ideas. Clockwork Angels was a return to that more consise way of thinking as evident in songs like. Caravan, Clockwork Angels, The Anarchist, The Wreckers, The Garden and Specially Headlong FLight.

:codger:

I could get on board with shorter albums, I think, if they put them out more frequently.

I would rather have an 8 song album every two years instead of a 13 song album every five.

I don't expect Rush to do it now at their advancing ages, but it disappoints me that so many bands these days take so long to put out material.

• Like 1

I could get on board with shorter albums, I think, if they put them out more frequently.

I would rather have an 8 song album every two years instead of a 13 song album every five.

I don't expect Rush to do it now at their advancing ages, but it disappoints me that so many bands these days take so long to put out material.

Since there's not much profit without a tour I think this is one of the main reasons.

• Like 1

RUSH:

Finding My Way

Here Again

What You're Doing

In The Mood

Before & After

Working Man

FLY BY NIGHT:

Anthem

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Fly By Night

In The End

CARESS OF STEEL:

Bastille Day

Lakeside Park

Necromancer

Fountain of Lambeth

2112:

A Passage To Bangkok

Twilight Zone

Tears

Something For Nothing

FAREWELL TO KINGS:

A Farewell to Kings

Xanadu

Closer to the Heart

Cinderella Man

Cygnus X-1

HEMISPHERES:

Hemispheres

Circumstances

Trees

La Villa Strangiato

PERMANENT WAVES:

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacob's Ladder

Natural Science

MOVING PICTURES;

Tom Sawyer

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Limelight

Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

Vital Signs

SIGNALS:

Subdivisions

Analog Kid

Chemistry

The Weapon

New World Man

Losing It

Countdown

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE:

Distant Early Warning

Red Sector A

Enemy Wothkn

Body Electric

Between The Wheels

POWER WINDOWS:

Big Money

Grand Designs

Manhattan Project

Marathon

Territories

HOLD YOUR FIRE:

Force Ten

Time Stand Still

Prime Mover

Lock And Key

Mission

Turn The Page

Tai Shan

High Water

PRESTO:

Show Don't Tell

Chain Lightning

The Pass

Presto

ROLL THE BONES:

Dreamline

Bravado

Where's My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

COUNTERPARTS:

Animate

Stick It Out

Nobody's Hero

Between Sun & Moon

Leave That Thing Alone

TEST FOR ECHO:

Test For Echo

Driven

Half The World

Resist

Limbo

Carve Away The Stone

VAPOUR TRAILS:

One Little Victory

Ceiling Unlimited

Ghost Rider

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapour Trails

Secret Touch

Earthshine

Freeze

SNAKES AND ARROWS:

Far Cry

Armour And Sword

Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Main Monkey Business

Way The Wind Blows

Hope

Faithless

MalNar

CLOCKWORK ANGELS:

Caravan

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Anarchist

Carnies

Halo Effect

Seven Cities

Wreckers

Headlong Flight

Wish Them Well

Garden

I agree with you on Afterimage and Digital Man, but to me Speed of Love is a pretty weak song. :finbar:

Yeah, The Speed of Love was the weak song I mentioned about Counterparts.
  • Like 1

I never understand why people fight over music. Yes I've racked my brain trying to figure out why people like certain things but you need to realize that music is a personal trip.

That's why you won't catch me on here saying anything "sucks" unless I'm just being silly but rarely even then.

Someone in this thread mentioned they always skip Bravado but I've met fans who say its their favorite Rush tune! And for the record I think Dog Years Rocks!! Cheesy lyrics and all. "Neil's too serious, Neil's too serious" then he writes a silly song and everyone hates it.. Go figure!

• Like 5

I never understand why people fight over music. Yes I've racked my brain trying to figure out why people like certain things but you need to realize that music is a personal trip.

That's why you won't catch me on here saying anything "sucks" unless I'm just being silly but rarely even then.

Someone in this thread mentioned they always skip Bravado but I've met fans who say its their favorite Rush tune! And for the record I think Dog Years Rocks!! Cheesy lyrics and all. "Neil's too serious, Neil's too serious" then he writes a silly song and everyone hates it.. Go figure!

I agree. Once in a great while I make negative comments about music, but for the most part, I prefer to ignore music I don't like in favour of celebrating music I love.

• Like 1