Working out

Basic workout again today. Need to go back later tonight with my wife. I am going to try some other machine tonight. It's boring enough to do the treadmill once a day............... :zzz:

I would imagine! I bet TSS would have some great suggestions on how to add variety to your exercise routine. Maybe just experimenting on some weight machines right now to see which ones you like or not?? Does your gym offer any evening classes you can take while your wife is on the treadmill?

Truth is I am not that into that much structure. I remember you mentioning the tracking of your workouts and stuff like that. I am not interested in counting every calorie I eat and doing exactly 15 reps of this and 20 reps of that. That's to much like work for me. I just want to be healthy and trim and stay that way. With my limitations with my hand issue, I can only do so much lifting anyway. I have noticed myself getting stronger anyway. I am pulling down at least twice the weight on the ab machine than I did when I started. Like I said I just want to look and feel good and be able to run from here to there without keeling over...... :D

Having said that, I do admire someone with your obvious discipline.... :codger:

Basic workout again today. Need to go back later tonight with my wife. I am going to try some other machine tonight. It's boring enough to do the treadmill once a day............... :zzz:

I would imagine! I bet TSS would have some great suggestions on how to add variety to your exercise routine. Maybe just experimenting on some weight machines right now to see which ones you like or not?? Does your gym offer any evening classes you can take while your wife is on the treadmill?

Truth is I am not that into that much structure. I remember you mentioning the tracking of your workouts and stuff like that. I am not interested in counting every calorie I eat and doing exactly 15 reps of this and 20 reps of that. That's to much like work for me. I just want to be healthy and trim and stay that way. With my limitations with my hand issue, I can only do so much lifting anyway. I have noticed myself getting stronger anyway. I am pulling down at least twice the weight on the ab machine than I did when I started. Like I said I just want to look and feel good and be able to run from here to there without keeling over...... :D

Having said that, I do admire someone with your obvious discipline.... :codger:

I had to chuckle a little at your statement at first because I know that if you knew me IRL, you would know that I have little structure! Having said that, my gym routine, or maybe more importantly, my body, is something like I feel like I do have control over. How I want to look, etc. So I am pretty meticulous about my workout routine. I like the feeling I get after a big workout so I keep track of what I do so I can monitor my progress and know that if I lift a certain amount of weight on whatever machine, I'll feel that soreness I like and think I'm moving forward with the goals I have. Besides, I much prefer running and so I do work on strengthening my leg muscles so I run farther/faster. I have to work out my upper body because that doesn't get a workout when running. Not anymore these days. I ran for years pushing a jogging stroller and as the kids got bigger, I was certainly able to tone up my upper body lugging around an extra 40+ pounds. As an aside, it's good to keep track of sets and reps so that you don't injure yourself on the machines. Same as on the treadmill. If you injure yourself, you could be out a long time. That is something I don't want at all. It's not fun when an injury happens.

My wife is already bummed about her latest attempt to lose weight. She has walked 2 miles every day for the past week or so and had gained a pound :o . She has been going to the gym with me the past 4 nights and was actually seeming to get into it until the scale spoke this morning. I am trying to keep her into it, but it will be an uphill battle. She knows I saw immediate results when I started on my quest. It still is for me a slow process, but I can feel my body slimming and getting stronger even when the scale doesn't say so. I am over the " weight thing " but it has taken me 6 months to reach that point. My " go to " jeans are practically hanging off me at this point and I couldn't be happier about that. Time for a new belt too. I am going to try to keep her in this thing, but it won't be easy............ :scared:

Try this.

Jog 400 meters (should only take a couple minutes to do. Go at a pace that is comfortable for you)

10 x situps

10 x pushups

10 x squat

10 x pull up (use an assist machine or bands if you can't do them. Or do jump pull ups. If it helps, do 2 then rest then do 2 more and repeat until you hit 10.

Repeat this whole routine 3-5 times and try to rest only when you really have too.

A good sub for running is rowing so you could use a rower instead of a treadmill.

My wife is already bummed about her latest attempt to lose weight. She has walked 2 miles every day for the past week or so and had gained a pound :o . She has been going to the gym with me the past 4 nights and was actually seeming to get into it until the scale spoke this morning. I am trying to keep her into it, but it will be an uphill battle. She knows I saw immediate results when I started on my quest. It still is for me a slow process, but I can feel my body slimming and getting stronger even when the scale doesn't say so. I am over the " weight thing " but it has taken me 6 months to reach that point. My " go to " jeans are practically hanging off me at this point and I couldn't be happier about that. Time for a new belt too. I am going to try to keep her in this thing, but it won't be easy............ :scared:

Tell her to add some sets of push ups, squats and sit ups to her routine in addition to walking on the treadmill.

I can't stress strength training enough. Trying cut calories and run the weight off is counter productive and doomed to failure. As soon as people "get it" and start adding is some strength training the weight just starts peeling off.

Have her do a routine similar to what I put in the previous post. have her walk a half mile then do sit ups, push ups and squats then walk another half mile. repeat for 3 - 5 times through.

I think the worst thing is stepping onto a scale too soon and after one or two weeks is WAY too soon. I would say a good time to step on a scale is after you feel like you've lost weight and your favorite pants are fitting a little baggy. That way you know you're going to see a big difference in those numbers and won't be discouraged. She should keep at it! Nothing is going to change after a few weeks of exercise, especially if she hasn't had an exercise routine in a while. Is she also changing her diet? Have to cut those calories and exercise hard to see the pounds drop. Even though I've been pretty fit my whole life, with each baby, I gained a ton of weight (I gained just shy of 80lbs with baby #2 even though I continued to run in the first trimester). I was 204lbs yep, 2-0-4 going into the hospital with that child! I'm 5'8" and like my weight to hover around 125lbs. I started running again a week or two after I had him but still... those pounds did not come off in a matter or weeks. Took time and effort so I know what it's like to see a huge weight dropping goal ahead of a person. She can do it! You sound like you are a GREAT support system for her.

• Like 1

Tell her to add some sets of push ups, squats and sit ups to her routine in addition to walking on the treadmill.

I can't stress strength training enough. Trying cut calories and run the weight off is counter productive and doomed to failure. As soon as people "get it" and start adding is some strength training the weight just starts peeling off.

Have her do a routine similar to what I put in the previous post. have her walk a half mile then do sit ups, push ups and squats then walk another half mile. repeat for 3 - 5 times through.

Thanks. I will try to get her to do this stuff. As late as we have been going, all the equipment is readily available to use. I just know for me, at first, I just adjusted my diet and started walking every day and I started dropping weight.

Thanks. I will try to get her to do this stuff. As late as we have been going, all the equipment is readily available to use. I just know for me, at first, I just adjusted my diet and started walking every day and I started dropping weight.

You don't even need equipment. All body weight stuff. If you aren't sure about form, you tube baby!!

Just did the one workout tonight with my wife. She is still in the game and trying. I did my usual light lifting and ab work. On the treadmill I decided to change it up a bit. I walked 8 minutes then ran a quarter mile and just kept alternating. Ended up running a 1 mile and walking 2. I want to run a 5 k in February. I know it doesn't seem like much but it will be a big deal for me and give me a goal to shoot for.......... :codger:
  • Like 1

Just did the one workout tonight with my wife. She is still in the game and trying. I did my usual light lifting and ab work. On the treadmill I decided to change it up a bit. I walked 8 minutes then ran a quarter mile and just kept alternating. Ended up running a 1 mile and walking 2. I want to run a 5 k in February. I know it doesn't seem like much but it will be a big deal for me and give me a goal to shoot for.......... :codger:

Running that first race is a huge deal. At the rate you're going, you will be able to rock out a 5k easily. Races are fun. I've found that I really enjoy trail runs. A few years back, I was running any race I could and sometimes ran two in one weekend. Of course, that took a toll on my knees but dang, races are fuuuuuun. Now I have my favorites and I pretty much stick with those. I'm excited for you! A 5k is a perfect first race goal. Do you know which one you have in mind?

Having goals is a HUGE deal. Keep up the good work!!

Running that first race is a huge deal. At the rate you're going, you will be able to rock out a 5k easily. Races are fun. I've found that I really enjoy trail runs. A few years back, I was running any race I could and sometimes ran two in one weekend. Of course, that took a toll on my knees but dang, races are fuuuuuun. Now I have my favorites and I pretty much stick with those. I'm excited for you! A 5k is a perfect first race goal. Do you know which one you have in mind?

This one in Myrtle Beach. I am starting to amp up the running in my treadmill workout and it feels good. Today I went 3.3 miles and ran approximately half of it. I was alternating walking and running every 5 minutes.

http://mbmarathonnewsite.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/5K-Map2013Large-300x231.jpg

• Like 1

I've recently started training. For most of you who don't know (Janie I think you remember) I have been on a weight loss journey for the last 3 years.

I joined a gym and started pilates classes. LOVE IT!

I find Im going almost daily to the gym (when my schedule allows it) Killing it with cardio and I've started lifting to tone up my "problem areas" :LOL: I want to work up to running... I still can't co-ordinate myself well enough to run on the treadmill but I'm hoping by spring to be in shape enough to run on the nature trails around here and climb some mountains with the bf.

The weight loss part seems to be done and now it's just the toning part that's taking a while. I'll be in here for motivation and hopefully to share good news with you all.

Happy workout :)

• Like 2

This one in Myrtle Beach. I am starting to amp up the running in my treadmill workout and it feels good. Today I went 3.3 miles and ran approximately half of it. I was alternating walking and running every 5 minutes.

http://mbmarathonnewsite.com/wordpress1/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/5K-Map2013Large-300x231.jpg

That's the perfect way to train, and to run your race as well! Divide and conquer is a good approach psychologically and physically. A couple of principles apply here... The first is "junk mile" theory, which suggests that you're better off going shorter distances at a rigorous pace than logging miles for the sake of miles. The second idea is "fartleks", which is the training strategy you describe: short burst of strenuous running followed by a restful pace. I can't wait to hear about your race!

• Like 1

:ebert: I like races with a circular track. A lot of times (w/5 and 10k) you'll see tracks that have a U-shape and it kind of bites to see all the top runners race past you the opposite way when you haven't even gotten to the half-way mark. Have you gotten out and walked the race path yet? Sometimes it's helpful to know what the terrain is like so you'll know what to expect.

When I increase my running distance, I do so a half mile at a time. So, what I would (FWIW) say if you can run 1 mile straight is continue with that for two weeks and then at the two week mark, increase your distance a half mile, keep that for two weeks, etc. I found that I don't injure myself when I take that pace when increasing distance.

I've recently started training. For most of you who don't know (Janie I think you remember) I have been on a weight loss journey for the last 3 years.

I find Im going almost daily to the gym (when my schedule allows it) Killing it with cardio and I've started lifting to tone up my "problem areas" :LOL: I want to work up to running... I still can't co-ordinate myself well enough to run on the treadmill but I'm hoping by spring to be in shape enough to run on the nature trails around here and climb some mountains with the bf.

The weight loss part seems to be done and now it's just the toning part that's taking a while. I'll be in here for motivation and hopefully to share good news with you all.

I do know that it has been a long and rewarding journey for you! You've done a fantastic job. It's great we have another gym rat amongst us! I can't speak for everyone who posts their updates here, but I love it. I love reading everyone's stories and asking for help from those who have experience in the areas I don't (TSS :hi: ).
  • Like 1

I do know that it has been a long and rewarding journey for you! You've done a fantastic job. It's great we have another gym rat amongst us! I can't speak for everyone who posts their updates here, but I love it. I love reading everyone's stories and asking for help from those who have experience in the areas I don't (TSS :hi: ).

Just got back from gym... different schedule there today because of the holiday but I still killed it. Been doing a cross country cross ramp circuit... it's pretty intense. My quads are STILL feeling it :LOL: Can't wait till the cross country ski trails are open here... Im craving a moonlit cross country ski.

Thanks for the motivation and encouragement. :)

I am looking at a website called sealfit. It is a sort of specialized cross fit program designed by an ex seal instructor. I met a guy at the gym who turned me on to it. Workouts are 6 days a week but I think I am going to give it a shot.

You're a better man than I... :scared: Just noticed you are in Maryland. Have we talked about that fact before because I am from there ? I can't remember if you were the one from southern MD I talked too.

I am looking at a website called sealfit. It is a sort of specialized cross fit program designed by an ex seal instructor. I met a guy at the gym who turned me on to it. Workouts are 6 days a week but I think I am going to give it a shot.

You. Must be. One. Fit. Mother. From all the input here over the past week or so, I've been trying to re-think my workout schedule. I kind of don't like how things are up in the air right now. When it comes to exercise, I want to have a routine and stick with that routine with minimal changes. I want change to only come with increasing weights for strength training or increasing my running miles. Having said that, I'm going to try a new routine all next week and I'll see how it goes. This is what I've planned out for the next seven days:

Sunday: Long distance run.

Monday: Regular run. Gym for TSS strength training.

Tuesday: Run only, regular distance.

Wednesday: Gym only for mega workout kick-butt class (I'm hoping to be so sore and worn out afterwards).

Thursday: Run only, regular distance.

Friday: Regular run. Gym for TSS strength training..

Saturday: Run only, regular distance.

Edited by Janie

You. Must be. One. Fit. Mother. From all the input here over the past week or so, I've been trying to re-think my workout schedule. I kind of don't like how things are up in the air right now. When it comes to exercise, I want to have a routine and stick with that routine with minimal changes. I want change to only come with increasing weights for strength training or increasing my running miles. Having said that, I'm going to try a new routine all next week and I'll see how it goes. This is what I've planned out for the next seven days:

Wednesday: Gym only for mega workout kick-butt class (I'm hoping to be so sore and worn out afterwards).

:scared: I am almost afraid to ask. Can you define " regular run " and " log distance run " for me please ? Just curious...

:scared: I am almost afraid to ask. Can you define " regular run " and " log distance run " for me please ? Just curious...

Regular = 6

Long distance = 8

Miles.

I used to run 8 miles daily but my right knee was letting me know it wasn't cool with that.

Regular = 6

Long distance = 8

Miles.

I used to run 8 miles daily but my right knee was letting me know it wasn't cool with that.

Thanks. I figured it was something like that......

You're a better man than I... :scared: Just noticed you are in Maryland. Have we talked about that fact before because I am from there ? I can't remember if you were the one from southern MD I talked too.

Yeah we talked about it in chat one day. You relocated to the Carolina's somewhere. I am from western Maryland but have been living northeast of Baltimore for about 13 years now.

It's always good to have a plan. It will help you stay on target and be productive.